RMAF and the HT3's

martyo

RMAF and the HT3's
« on: 15 Oct 2007, 05:36 pm »
This was my first RMAF. I specifically went to audition speakers and meet Frank Van Alstine. My wife and I did that. It was a pleasure to finally meet this "legend", he was very gracious.

We also had the pleasure of getting to know Jim and his lovely wife, and hear his amazing speakers with pretty much the same front end as we have at home. The overall presentation of the AVA/SALK room was IMHO not topped by any rooms we visited. We had one problem, my wife is a very visual person and the HT3's look like coffins to her. (there are personal issues going on in her life right now that greatly magnify this perception). Eventually she asked Jim if he could build us the speakers in a different shaped cabinet. Jim basically said "whatever you want". The speakers at the show were stunning. They were Jim's that he built for himself with a particular veneer that he ran across and there ain't no more. My wife and Jim arrive at a cabinet that should not alter the acoustics from the original shape of the baffle and not freak her out with here coffin issues. We head down to the 2nd floor for another audition, it's 5:55. She decides that the wood is so exceptional on the speakers at the show, let's try to buy them. Back up to the 11th floor as Jim and his wife are locking up for the night and make our pitch. Seems Jim keeps building speakers for himself and they never make it home before someone sees them and wants them. This is the 4th pair he's built from that sheet of veneer and he'd really like to finally get a pair home. We suggested he keep them for the rest of the year and he agreed to that. So come January we'll be making a road trip!! I can't get our pictures from the show to upload or I would show the speakers.

I love music and stereos alot, just like all you, but it's just icing on the cake when the equipment is built by such special, lovely, gracious people like the Salk's and Frank. It was also good to meet the BigRedMachine who invited us to stop in when we make our trip to pick up the speakers!

Those Songtowers are certainly a bargain too!

martyo

Re: RMAF and the HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2007, 05:47 pm »
Did you try uploading them to a site like Photobucket first?

No, but I tried other pictures I have and they worked just fine.  :dunno:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2007, 07:18 pm »
Email them to me and I can post them Marty.

You and your wife are a cute couple.  Can't wait for you to get these home.  Be sure and plan enough time so you can stay more than an hour at my place.  Chances are also 50-50% right now I may have a HT meet in January so planning a trip around that might be one less stop since Jim would be in attendance and could bring the speakers down.

Marty is officially a Salk Owner!!! (well almost) :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2007, 08:02 pm »
I said before that Jim needs to make a pair with pink poke a dots.  No one will want  those  :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2007, 08:12 pm »
I said before that Jim needs to make a pair with pink poke a dots.  No one will want  those  :lol:

I've told him the same thing.  SOmething so butt-ugly my dog would lift his leg on it.  But not good for a show-off-your-wares event sales generating perspective. :oops:

BradJudy

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2007, 08:26 pm »
I was giving Jim a hard time about letting another personal and excellent pair go - that guy just needs to say no sometime (no offense to you, Marty).  Or at least he should charge $10k for a personal pair.  :)

gthomas

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:08 am »
That's interesting Marty, my wife said the same thing when she first saw
 pictures of the HT3.  I now have them in the house and Mary loves them.

Gene

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2007, 10:44 am »
Email them to me and I can post them Marty.

You and your wife are a cute couple.  Can't wait for you to get these home.  Be sure and plan enough time so you can stay more than an hour at my place.  Chances are also 50-50% right now I may have a HT meet in January so planning a trip around that might be one less stop since Jim would be in attendance and could bring the speakers down.

Marty is officially a Salk Owner!!! (well almost) :thumb:

Thanks for the invite Pete. Sounds good if it's early January. I'm very calm now, but as we get closer to the end of the year I'll be getting anxious.  :hyper: And I emailed you the pics

That's interesting Marty, my wife said the same thing when she first saw
 pictures of the HT3.  I now have them in the house and Mary loves them.

Gene

And Gene, I hope that is the case for my wife too.

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:06 am »
We had one problem, my wife is a very visual person and the HT3's look like coffins to her.

I had exactly the same feelings when I first set my eyes on the HT3's! I thought it was just me!

Visuals aside, I am sure they sound fantastic!

martyo

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2007, 12:29 pm »
Visuals aside, I am sure they sound fantastic!

Truth is I was concerned that they were going to sound too accurate, as in analytical and "unmusical",
but they were in fact, rich and warm and very open and airy with a killer image. Even in the small
room, in the front row of chairs off center and much closer than I will be sitting, the speakers were "invisible". And of course they were quick and dynamic and very resolving. I mean rich and warm as in real music is rich and warm. My wife left several rooms because of the brightness. They have a tonal balance that was lacking in many rooms. There were some highly thought of speakers I was hearing for the first time that were surely high resolution but at the expense of richness of sound and man, they would just wear me down over time.

Visually, these will by far be the nicest pieces of furniture in our home. They are the complete package.

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2007, 01:45 pm »
It was again a pleasure to have met Jim and his wife. Such nice people. The HT3 room sounded better than last year, much to do with the few absorption panels brought in by Jim.

Hey Jim, if you're reading this, I am 99% going to order a second pair of HT3...will send you a pm soon..:)) :thumb: :thumb:

Toka

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2007, 02:47 pm »
Anyone gonna post pics? Some of us need to enjoy these shows vicariously.  :oops:

rlee8394

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:24 pm »
You can find about six shots here:

http://www.audioxsell.com/

Ron.

Toka

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2007, 04:47 pm »
Thanks Ron!  :thumb:

rlee8394

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2007, 07:19 pm »
Yeah, they kind of suck viewing as is. If you do the free registration, you get hi-res access to the photos.
Ron.

fsimms

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2007, 08:10 pm »
I sure did enjoy seeing Jim Salk and his lovely wife Mary.

Truth is I was concerned that they were going to sound too accurate, as in analytical and "unmusical",

Properly set up, they sound very much like you are there with the musicians.  This is much cheaper than having Alison Krauss sing for you in your living room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:31 pm »
Marty's photos:

This is a little wacy in the pixels after I shrunk it to fit:

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:50 pm »
Great job Big Red!!!!

Wayner

klh

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2007, 10:12 pm »
I love the grain on the veneer on the HT-3. Quite a stunner.

martyo

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:35 pm »
Thanks Pete.