Keith's Rosewood HT3's

jsalk

Keith's Rosewood HT3's
« on: 2 Mar 2007, 02:05 am »
Keith knew what he wanted - HT3's in rosewood.  But he wanted them all tricked out - contour switch, Sonicaps and a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish.  We discussed the front baffle and, in the end, decided a straight veneered front was the way to go with this pair.

Here is a pic...

It is always difficult to shoot good photos of a high-gloss finish.  They simply reflect everything, so you can't really see the wood.  Seen in person, however, the finish is crystal clear and glasslike, showing the wood in all its glory.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to see that in these photos.

Here's a side panel...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Keith!

- Jim

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Keith's Rosewood HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2007, 02:21 am »
Wow!  I realize I say this a lot, but that really is the nicest looking pair yet, bar none!  Rosewood has to be my all time favorite finish. :thumb:

K_Roen

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2007, 02:59 am »
Well I think I know what I want but the proof is in the pudding as they say.   :drool:The expected delivery date is for tomorrow and I can tell you I've not felt this way since I was 6 waiting on Santa Klaus for my first BB gun. :oops:

Today I've been listening to at least a dozen Cd's I want to immediately play to test My new HT3's comparing them with my present speakers knowing in my mind and soul that the HT3's are going to surpass my expectations.   
I will give them the required hours of break in before making a qualified judgement but geezes I am so excited I just want to listen to them NOW.   After waiting almost 3 months whats another 60 - 100 hours. 

Thank you Jim for the craftsmanship and dedication you put into your creations.  I know that the beauty of these cabinets to this extreme is a rarity in our world of sonic enjoyment but to me it is one of the essential factors in a complete system. 

My mind is racing ....placement  of the HT3's..... moving the furniture to give me the best sonic enjoyment and accurate reproduction.  I'll enjoy every moment of setting these speakers in my system and then when satisfied give a complete report of my results.

Well .... sorry for letting emotions getting the best of me. 

Keith

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2007, 04:09 am »
A very classy pair.  :)

EProvenzano

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2007, 05:17 am »
Jim,
Great work as always :thumb:

Care to share your source for that veneer?
I'd like to look into it a bit.

Thanks

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2007, 06:16 am »
VERY sexy work Jim!!

Dave

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2007, 01:03 pm »
Jim,
Great work as always :thumb:

Care to share your source for that veneer?
I'd like to look into it a bit.

Thanks

Check out thouge on ebay.  But you won't find this batch of rosewood as I bought their entire stock.

Also, be aware that thouge only offers raw veneers.  You have to do all the splicing yourself and unless you have a veneer press, it is very difficult to apply with good results that will hold up over time.

Where rosewood is concerned, most people think of classic Brazilian rosewood.  But it is rare and VERY expensive as there is a logging ban and it is no longer legal to harvest rosewood in Brazil.  I have tried to purchase it for HT3's in the past and could never get enough from the same log.

This batch is Santos rosewood.  Other similar veneers include kingwood.

Rosewoods come in many flavors and vary greatly in color and grain pattern depending on where the tree grew.  Nigerian rosewood and Bolivian rosewood are more common but their colors are quite different.  Bubinga and Mexican Cocobolo are also true rosewoods but look totally different.

Many speaker manufacturers offering "rosewood" finishes are using common woods with cathedral grain patterns and then dyeing them red.  It isn't rosewood at all and doesn't even look close, but it fools many consumers. 

And, of course, there is always "Italian rosewood."  When you see the word "Italian" in the veneer name, it is usually manufactured veneer made of dyed reconstituted wood fibers.  Next to a real veneer, they don't stack up.  But on their own, they can look quite real.  The untrained might never know that they are looking at a  manufactured veneer.  The tip off is that they are a little too perfect and the grain patterns repeat.

- Jim

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2007, 01:52 pm »

Nice use of grain.  I like the rhythm you created by the splitting the two cathedrals on the front baffle.  I enjoy seeing that a manufacturer takes the time to go as far as "reading the grain".  You are not many, Jim.

fajimr

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2007, 01:56 pm »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

you're the man jim... everytime I see a subject with "X's HT3", I always know I am in for a visual treat (never had a chance to listen though).... and every time, I am in awe.  stunning work.

jim

EProvenzano

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2007, 01:57 pm »
Thanks Jim.
Good info. I really enjoy the compliment of the red wood tones with the greyish seas mag cone.  I personally find the mag cone clashes with some brown woods, but the phase plug helps pull it all together....listen to me "Martha Stewart"  :lol:.
My latest speakers don't have a copper phase plug so I'm leaning towards a red veneer.

Are any of these rosewoods available paperbacked?  Assuming this is the only type I could apply without a press???

Would you consider iron-on with titebond a better long term solution than waterbased contact cement?

BrianM

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2007, 01:58 pm »
I saw a pair of 1801s you did in the Santos rosewood and liked it so much I ordered mine the same.  (Hopefully there was enough left over in that batch for me...?)

The high gloss sure looks great, in spite of the difficulty photographing them.  I'm sticking with the "normal" finish, but could certainly live with the shiny ones!  This wood, and the curly makore HT3s you did a couple months ago, are my favorites so far.

Keith: I know and empathize with your feverish anticipation.  Enjoy.....

K_Roen

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2007, 09:32 pm »
:bawl:  Woe is Me.  :cry:

Today the DHL delievery van pulled up to my house and delivered one HT3 speaker and the box for the plinths.  Checking the DHL update on the computer the second speaker seems to have stayed in South Bend, Indiana for some reason  :?    :cuss:  (although it does have today listed as the scheduled delievery date).

At least I have the one to gaze upon and enjoy the beauty of Jim's craftsmanship.  The finish is simply exquisite!  :thumb:  The depth of finish and the beauty of the grain of the rosewood is jaw dropping. :aa: 

I am resisting hooking it up till the second HT3 arrives whenever that maybe.  Think I'll go cry in my beer till it comes.

koiman

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:00 pm »
I know what you are going through, I received 1 HT3 and the other one was lost for a week and finely located on the EAST COAST.. I live in California go figure that was also DHL..

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:14 pm »
I know what you are going through, I received 1 HT3 and the other one was lost for a week and finely located on the EAST COAST.. I live in California go figure that was also DHL..

Interesting!  I have never experienced this with DHL.  I have also never experienced damage.  However, IMO a slow/delayed package arrival via DHL is much better than most things shiped via UPS  :wink: .

Dave

woody

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:22 pm »
< IMO a slow/delayed package arrival via DHL is much better than most things shiped via UPS. >

Not necessarily!  You should have seen one of my HT3s!  DHL must have mistakingly used it for a pallet  :x

K_Roen

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:45 pm »
< IMO a slow/delayed package arrival via DHL is much better than most things shiped via UPS. >

Not necessarily!  You should have seen one of my HT3s!  DHL must have mistakenly used it for a pallet  :x

OH NO don't tell me that  :banghead:

At least with the one I have despite some minor outside box dents and rips the speaker was not damaged.  Jim has his crew do a great job at protecting the cabinet with lots of foam insulation and then thin plywood inside the carboard box.  I think he's going to go broke on shipping tape though.   In the end it all comes down to how well something is packaged to prevent damage.  I've had things shipped and arrived damaged by all of the major carriers so I don't think its more prevalent to any one carrier. 

Keith

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:14 am »
Shipping is a frustrating part of this business.  But here is my experience.

I will never use UPS for speaker shipments.  When I did, not only did they often arrive damaged (in ways that would indicate about a 100 ft. drop   :?), but they even had the audacity after ruining the speaker to deny the damage claim (even though I paid extra for insurance).  So no more UPS!

FedEx does a pretty good job (in terms of limiting damage), but will not deliver packages as large as an HT3 to a residential address.

DHL also does a pretty good job, delivers to residential addresses and does pay damage claims when something does happen.  The downside is that they often "lose" packages for a while.  They always manage to find them, but it can take days. 

As koiman indicated, one of his speakers was lost for 10 days and found on a dock in New Jersey.  Now I'm not a geographer, but I don't think NJ is in the most direct route from Michigan to California.  They were nice enough to offer to put it on the next truck out.  But after a little negotiation, they agreed to put in on the next plane. 

So those are the choices we have and DHL, as frustrating as it can be at times, is the best option in most cases.

- Jim

K_Roen

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:45 am »
"But after a little negotiation, they agreed to put in on the next plane."

Funny you mention that.  I know watching the shipping data per each shipment that the one speaker had to have been flown to California via March Air Force Base, Riverside, CA.  I felt a few days ago when the one speaker had no updates since the 27th that it was having GPS issues.   

Keith

gthomas

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar 2007, 04:00 am »
I agree that it is hard to take pictures of the high gloss.  But the rosewood is beautiful. I Love mine more every day.  Everyone who has seen pictures of mine and then actually seen my speakers in person agree  that they're lovely.  Go back in the circle and look at "Gene's HT3s and you will agree.

Gene Thomas

Carl V

« Reply #19 on: 5 Mar 2007, 05:44 am »
So those are the choices we have and DHL, as frustrating as it can be at times, is the best option in most cases.

- Jim

Can you not ship BAX Global?

Very Nice Rosewood veneer BTW.