See you at Capital Audiofest - Nov 5-7

jsalk

See you at Capital Audiofest - Nov 5-7
« on: 2 Nov 2021, 06:05 pm »
We're headed to Capital Audiofest today.  Will be setting up on Thursday for the show Friday through Sunday in Rockville, MD.

We will be bringing a pair of SS9.5's and an "un-named" speaker - the ultra low-distortion Purifi design.

Here are some pics...

And a close-up...

See you there!

- Jim

Scottdazzle

Re: See you at Capital Audiofest - Nov 5-7
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2021, 09:56 pm »
I'm looking forward to listening to your new speakers and saying hi to you and Mary.

whopnyc

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2021, 12:06 pm »
I'll finally get to meet you...and do you mean "un-named" amplifier? I thought Purifi was a class D amp chip or something like that?

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2021, 12:18 pm »
I'll finally get to meet you...and do you mean "un-named" amplifier? I thought Purifi was a class D amp chip or something like that?
https://purifi-audio.com/ptt6-5x08-nfa-01/

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2021, 04:40 pm »
I'm looking forward to listening to your new speakers and saying hi to you and Mary.

And don't forget to stop by room 306 and say hello--Dennis Murphy

Paul K.

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2021, 10:44 pm »
Good luck at CAF, Dennis, especially with the BMR Towers making their debut.  Congrats on the really positive review of the Towers by James Larson at Audiohoiics.
Paul

And don't forget to stop by room 306 and say hello--Dennis Murphy

Bikeratl

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2021, 02:28 am »
Looks like those drivers would make an interesting 2 way monitor.  I'm curious as to what such a thing would cost.

whopnyc

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2021, 03:24 pm »
https://purifi-audio.com/ptt6-5x08-nfa-01/

Ahhhh, so same company but making drivers. Nice! I look forward to hearing them.

NoDisco

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2021, 12:30 am »
These had shocking dynamics with just 35 watts of tube power. It was a suite, but the only other speakers I heard that rivaled them were the Arions at nearly 8 times the price and 10 times the room volume. Jim is also a true gentleman who deserves his legendary status.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2021, 07:55 pm »
Looks like those drivers would make an interesting 2 way monitor.  I'm curious as to what such a thing would cost.

That's actually very tricky to pull off.  I tried to use them in my BMR monitor, but it's not possible with a reasonably sized port.  There's just too much woofer excursion and resulting back wave pressure.  I also tried the factory passive radiators, but they were tuned way too low even with all of the weights off.   Jim's towers have a very large, long port that tunes the box properly and doesn't overload. 

NoDisco

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2021, 01:30 am »
I think Selah had something like that. Sad story.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:26 am »
I think Selah had something like that. Sad story.

Right.  Rick used the SB Acoustics "race track" passive radiator on the back.  I probably should give that a try. 

c_note

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:18 pm »
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the "sad story" reference to Selah Audio--can someone explain?

Jim and Dennis, have you tried modifying this design into a 3 way, utilizing the Satori MD60 two inch dome midrange?  I've heard wonderful things about these Purifi woofers, but no seven inch bass driver excels at reproducing frequencies above 1 KHz.  Seems like adding a dedicated, lightweight driver for the 1 to 4 KHz frequencies would take these speakers to state-of-the-art performance levels.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2021, 04:17 pm »
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the "sad story" reference to Selah Audio--can someone explain?

Rick died recently.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2021, 10:00 pm »
  Hey Jim heard your room was awesome. Hope all is well. Could not go this year.

charles

c_note

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2021, 11:09 pm »
Thank you for sharing, as I had not heard that Rick passed away.  I own two sets of Selah Audio speakers; both offer very high value and performance.  My sincere condolences to Rick's family and friends.

NoDisco

« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2021, 12:40 am »
I heard these. You’d be shocked. I wanted to hear some multi driver stuff, so this was on the cusp since it’s a two way. Was definitely not lacking in dynamics or mid range. It was my first experience with Jim’s stuff, but a memorable one. I’m interested in exploring Jim’s designs a bit more now. But I’m just a ways off from a new speaker purchase.

Rshorb

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2021, 04:17 am »
I enjoyed both sets that Jim & Mary had at the show. The Unnamed speakers definitely got my attention. Also enjoyed the BMR Monitors and towers great job Dennis.   

Rshorb

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2021, 04:24 am »
That's actually very tricky to pull off.  I tried to use them in my BMR monitor, but it's not possible with a reasonably sized port.  There's just too much woofer excursion and resulting back wave pressure.  I also tried the factory passive radiators, but they were tuned way too low even with all of the weights off.   Jim's towers have a very large, long port that tunes the box properly and doesn't overload.

Dennis,

Let me know if you do end up making a 2 way out of this woofer. I've seen someone use dual factory passive radiators in a two way design.

RonN5

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2021, 02:12 pm »
Dennis,

First, congratulations to you and Jim for continuing to raise the bar by offering great products which garnered tons of praise at the show.  A question I'd like to ask is not a "which is better" question but a "can you describe the difference in sound" question about your BMR tower vs the new Salk BePure2. 

Even though Jim has a number of RAAL ribbon designs in his line up, it seems that many of Jim's newer designs feature a Be tweeter and a port assisted low end.  On the other hand, even with all of the tweeter options available, you stuck with the RAAL for the top end and a transmission line assist for the low end on your new BMR tower.

I think that most of us would be interested in what differences we would notice if we had the two towers together in the same room and could hear them side by side.