My SoundScape 8's in hand rubbed high gloss pepperwood burl

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: My SoundScape 8's in hand rubbed high gloss pepperwood burl
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2012, 04:36 am »
So Jim after reading the above quote Steve highlighted on your reason for the diffraction, which speaker would you normally choose when setting them up for your "left" and "right" ? I know it really is someone's sound preference as to which cabinet goes on which side but how would you set them up yourself the first time to listen?

These are my favs also after seeing many of yours over the past few years..awesome!! :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2012, 10:43 am »
Gotcha, and you're right, the tweeter is offset on the SoundScape 8 and M7 because of the wider baffle as compared to the SoundScape 10 and 12's baffle-less (at least on three sides) tweeter pod.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Gee they do look good.

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2012, 11:44 am »
So Jim after reading the above quote Steve highlighted on your reason for the diffraction, which speaker would you normally choose when setting them up for your "left" and "right" ? I know it really is someone's sound preference as to which cabinet goes on which side but how would you set them up yourself the first time to listen?

These are my favs also after seeing many of yours over the past few years..awesome!! :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the tweeter locations, I don't think it makes much difference.  I usually place mine with the tweeters toward the inside.  But this is just the way I am used to setting things up.

The offsets are for diffraction control and don't really think placement left or right makes much difference.

A few comments may be in order.

First, we do this because it results in smoother frequency response.  Does it matter?  Perhaps not.  You can certainly measure the differences, but I'm not sure you can hear them.  We offset the tweeters because we know it results in a smoother frequency response.  But if I had speakers with tweeters that were centered, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.  I don't think it is all that audible.  On the other hand, I do think it is the right thing to do if perfection is one of your goals.

Second, you will notice that the tweeters in the SoundScape 10's and 12's are not offset.  This is because we tried to eliminate any baffle around the tweeter.  The distances to the edge of the baffle are so minimal, the frequencies involved are probably inaudible.  So in those designs, I don't think it really matters.

- Jim

OgOgilby

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm »
Jim, those are simply incredible looking and I'm sure that they sound as amazing as they look!

Now I just need to win the lottery...  :duh:

-Greg

PSB Guy

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:53 pm »
FWIW, I've tried my SongBirds in both the tweeter in and the tweeter out positions and couldn't tell the difference, both sound incredible. Oh yeah, almost forgot...those SoundScapes are just beautiful  :thumb:.

Cornelis

taoggniklat

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm »
Wow, just wow. I think that is my favorite. Beautiful.

If I win the Lotto maybe we can work out a deal ok? :)