The ultimate Squeezebox PS/Mod square off!! Coming to Houston, TX

95bcwh

Small update:
  Brad brought his RWA modded SB3 (older version of analog mod) with stock PS to my place, and did the comparison between these setup:

1. RWA old analog mod with stock PS
2. RWA old analog mod with Aberdeen Rev-1 PS
3. RWA old analog mod with Aberdeen Rev-2 PS
4. RWA new analog mod with RWA Battery PS

#1 sounded a little harsh, and noisy, loose bass, less low-end extension, it's like watching a TV with a little speckles here and there.

#2 sounded smoother, the "speckles" are gone, the high is no longer edgy, the bass goes deeper, more control, but relative to #3, the bass sounded a little booming, the plucking of the bass is not as clear as #3, in fact, relative to #3, the imaging from mid-range to the bottom sounded less focus.

#3 fixed all the problem in #2, the bass is tight, dynamic, the plucking of the bass can be heard much clearer, it has all the right transient. The high is just like #2, no edginess, the overall sound is smootherm livelier, and more natural than #2.

#4 is more transparent than #2, but more edgy on the high, the bass is doesn't go as low as #2 but it's also less boomy, the overall presentation is on the bright-side compared to #2. So if one is after transparency, you may like #4 more than #2, but if one is after smoother sound, then you may like #2.

Brad and I both agreed that #3 seemed to have just "nailed" it!!!

One thing I have to say is, I do believe that the analog mod by Bolder is really something. I have previously compared Aberdeen's Rev-1 with Bolder's Elpac and Ultimate PS using Bolder modded SB2, and I would give Aberdeen Rev-1 a slight edge over Elpac. But from my listening today, I can tell that there's quite a bit of gap between RWA modded SB analog out and Bolder modded SB analog out (bear in mind the price difference though).

Unfortunately, I'm not able to use Aberdeen Rev-2 on Bolder's modded SB to compare it with the Ultimate PS.

So if you refers back to my older post on this thread, here's a recap of the ranking (after incorporating Aberdeen Rev-1 PS)

1st place: Setup #1 Bolder SB2 with Ultimate PS analog out
2nd place: Setup #2 Bolder SB2 with Ultimate PS digital out
3rd place: Bolder SB2 with Aberdeen Rev-1 PS digital out
4rd place: Setup #4 Bolder SB2 with Elpac PS digital out
5th place: Setup #6 RWA SB3 digital out
6th place: Setup #4 Bolder SB2 with Elpac PS analog out
Joined 7th place: Setup #8 Ayre analog out, #10 Cary analog out
8th place: Cary 303/300 digital out
9th place: Ayre digital out
10th place: Setup #5 RWA SB3 analog out
11th place: Rega Jupiter digital out
12th place: Rega Juipter analog out

Rgds
  barry

95bcwh

I also would like to share my impression on some cables that Wayne sent me for auditioning, but let me be clear from the outset, the difference in sound by switching these cables were much subtle than switching the power supplies of the squeezebox, In all the setup, I was running Bolder modded SB2 analog out into Bryston 4B-SST into HT3

1. Nitro power cord
2. Nitro Plus power cord
3. Nitro Plus power cord with 3 Bybees and Oyaide connectors
4. Nitro Analog IC
5. Summit Analog IC made with continuous cast Silver with silver plated shielding
6. Nitro Speakers Cable.

First up, comparing #1, #2, #3 with stock PC into my Bryston 4B-SST. All 3 showed noticeable improvement over the stock PC, they tonned down the "harshness" a little, makes my amp sounded a little more musical. The difference between #1, and #2 however are much less subtle, I told my wife to switch between the 2 and let me do the blind test, I could hardly pick up which one is which. #3 distant itself from the other two, it tones the sound towards a little more sweetness, without sacrificing transparency.

I then compare #4 and #5 with my Zu Gede IC,to my ear, both #4 and #5 sounded more musical than the Gede IC, and they both sound quieter and darker. Comparing #4 and #5, I would give the edge to #5, because #5 gives a slightly more "live" sound.

I then compared Nitro Speaker Cable to my zipcord, ha... there's no contest, the zipcord sounded harsher, noisier.

I was told by Brad that Waynes use to be an expert booze brewer in Denver area, now it's clear to me that he's one heck of a cable brewer too! :thumb: