Question...

jsalk

Question...
« on: 16 Dec 2022, 07:00 pm »
As you may know, we recently removed some speaker models from our line-up.  We did this because we had too many models and it was not efficient to build one of this model and one of that model.  It was a tough decision because many of these models represented a great value from a price/performance perspective.

Take our SongTowers for example.  They were awarded an Editor's Choice Award in The Absolute Sound for seven years running!  And if it made economic sense to continue building them, I'm sure we would still get many orders over time.

So we wondered if there would be any interest in some or all of these models to be offered as DIY kits.

We have too much on our plates to deal with this at this point in time.  And we may never decide to do this.  But we wanted to gauge interest to see if it is something we should consider down the line.

If you have thoughts on it, we'd love to hear them.

- Jim

Charles Xavier

Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2022, 07:02 pm »
 Would that be with flat packs for cabinets?

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2022, 07:14 pm »
Would that be with flat packs for cabinets?

No idea at this point.  We haven't thought about it that much.  But that might be possible.

- Jim

Charles Xavier

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2022, 09:22 pm »
I would be interested if there were flat packs. makes it easier for the average person

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2022, 01:35 am »
Jim,

I'm interested!

Michael

Rshorb

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2022, 01:33 pm »
I would be interested in flat packs.

rlee8394

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2022, 05:23 pm »
Obviously finishing would fall on the customer to provide. There are several ways to go about this:

1) Go the Madisound route and offer just the drivers and crossover with cabinet plans. Crossover assembly as an option.
2) Sell just the plans and parts list for crossover, drivers, and cabinet. This would have the least impact on your overall effort.
3) Provide knock-down cabinets, or the option of just the front baffle with cutout(s) along with crossovers and drivers, as Parts-Express does.
4) Knock-down cabs alone with plans/parts list for crossover/drivers.
5) Possibly contract or recommend other speaker builders to provide the service much like Dennis did with you and the BMR Monitor.

As you can see there are an array of options for this. It all depends on your schedule for providing the DIYer any particular option.

Just my $0.02 worth.
-Ron

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2022, 07:35 pm »
Don't offer DIY unless you set up a separate business line that someone else manages. Otherwise, you'll get inundated will all sorts of silly questions from novice DIYers and you'll be goaded into making assembly videos. Besides, current and prospective Salk customers who can pay several grand for your finished speakers are less likely to engage in DIY.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2022, 08:21 pm »
Don't offer DIY unless you set up a separate business line that someone else manages. Otherwise, you'll get inundated will all sorts of silly questions from novice DIYers and you'll be goaded into making assembly videos. Besides, current and prospective Salk customers who can pay several grand for your finished speakers are less likely to engage in DIY.

This is very good advice. I would think spending time on some sort of succession plan would be more beneficial than selling any sort of kits at this point. If you have a solid succession plan in place I would continue with your current business model. Any time above and beyond that I would spend with family and friends; life is short.

My friend and I met you and your wife(?) at Pacific Audio Fest last summer. We thought you had the best sounding real world system there. So much so my buddy ordered a pair of the speakers you were using at the show.

jmc207

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2022, 08:58 pm »
I would be interested in kits with at least a pre-cut front baffle, though more so with a flat pack.

John