Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #560 on: 27 Aug 2022, 11:38 am »
Hi James,
Which Raspberry PI 4 is used? I would like to try getting a spare one - just in case. 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB RAM? Anything else to consider or are all the PI computers the same as long as e.g. PI4 with 8 GB?
Thanks

Engineering tells me any Pi4 should work.

james

Clive197

« Reply #561 on: 27 Aug 2022, 12:25 pm »
Hi James
I think the question asked by Spartana was what RAM is on the Raspberry PI 4B in the BR-20, 2Gb, 4Gb or 8Gb because he want to buy a spare PI 4?
Then I would ask if the PI 4B can actually be swapped out by an end user.
Clive197

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #562 on: 27 Aug 2022, 12:33 pm »
Ah sorry 4GB

Testsystems

« Reply #563 on: 19 Sep 2022, 11:51 pm »
Hi James,

I noticed when multi-zone streaming an album with Roon and I mute the audio on the BR-20 all works as it should.... the album keeps playing the remaining songs and the BR-20 remains muted.  At the end of the album Roon will start playing random songs of similar music and it is at this point the BR-20 un-mutes without operator input.  Re-mute it and it will again unmute with the next random song selection.  Roon must be doing this!   Given the BR-20 has not muted Roon for all zones and only itself I dont think it should un-mute based on a Roon command.  I am usually on the phone!

There is a second similar Roon BR-20 quirk.   Switch the BR-20 to another digital input and Roon will switch it back to the streaming input on the start of Roon play or the next song selection as per above!  In a multi room setup this is not always appreciated.     

These are small issues in the grand scheme of things, but Roon is asserting its control over the BR-20, outside of intended operation.   Welcome to the ever changing world of software!

Cheers Drew

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #564 on: 19 Sep 2022, 11:59 pm »
HI Drew - yes changes all the time - I hear tomorrow is another major change coming.

I will forward to Chris Rice for you.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #565 on: 20 Sep 2022, 01:02 pm »
Hi James,

I noticed when multi-zone streaming an album with Roon and I mute the audio on the BR-20 all works as it should.... the album keeps playing the remaining songs and the BR-20 remains muted.  At the end of the album Roon will start playing random songs of similar music and it is at this point the BR-20 un-mutes without operator input.  Re-mute it and it will again unmute with the next random song selection.  Roon must be doing this!   Given the BR-20 has not muted Roon for all zones and only itself I dont think it should un-mute based on a Roon command.  I am usually on the phone!

There is a second similar Roon BR-20 quirk.   Switch the BR-20 to another digital input and Roon will switch it back to the streaming input on the start of Roon play or the next song selection as per above!  In a multi room setup this is not always appreciated.     

These are small issues in the grand scheme of things, but Roon is asserting its control over the BR-20, outside of intended operation.   Welcome to the ever changing world of software!

Cheers Drew

I'm not sure about the second item as I think if you don't want the br20 to play you should either remove the br20 from the multi zone list or create a new multi zone without the device.  Our options for resolving the second option are either pause/stop playback or switch back to the streaming input.  The first item does sound like unintended behavior, the intended behavior is to unmute the system if you begin playback.

Chris

Testsystems

« Reply #566 on: 20 Sep 2022, 01:22 pm »
Thanks Chris

Yes I understand the second item is a convenience factor and can also be considered a feature.   Just a mater of perspective and desired use.   

Cheers Drew

bokko

« Reply #567 on: 12 Oct 2022, 11:27 pm »
With both RCA input for HTB and the XLR input for turntable preamp I have noticed Roon Streamer will switch from those inputs starting to playback on streamer input. I just started pressing pause on remote before moving to another input.

No further problems

jneun

« Reply #568 on: 18 Oct 2022, 09:33 pm »
Open question on the BR-20.  I am having, and it seems to have there since I received it, weird behavior with the front panel lights and buttons.  Some examples:

- turn the unit on, Source 4 (CD)selected, lights all green, press play on CD player, no sound, press play again, sound
- turn the unit on, any source selected from previous session, all lights red. Source plays fine.  Press source button, lights turn green and no sound. Press source a couple of times (sometimes away from true source and back), sound
- finishing playing play source 4 (CD), change CD's, don't touch BR-20. No sound.  Repeat above drills to get sound back.

This whole scenario repeats for source 10 (USB).
Roon works fine evertime.

I believe I am on the latest SW (u202204a)

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.  This is annoying yet not a show stopper as I really enjoy the device sound.

onthefly

« Reply #569 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:01 pm »
I’ve been using a BDP-2 for many years with my music stored on a powered (plug in) external hard drive connected via USB. I’ve now moved to a BR-20 and looking to get a new hard drive (2TB).
Does anyone know if the USB on the BR-20 has enough power to operate the hard drive on its own?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #570 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:41 pm »
Hi

Be careful with that as it will depend a lot on the power consumption of a large 2TB drive.
We highly recommend a NAS for large libraries.

james

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #571 on: 26 Oct 2022, 04:46 pm »
I’ve been using a BDP-2 for many years with my music stored on a powered (plug in) external hard drive connected via USB. I’ve now moved to a BR-20 and looking to get a new hard drive (2TB).
Does anyone know if the USB on the BR-20 has enough power to operate the hard drive on its own?

Does the manual tell you max current available from usb?  Just check the HD specs and that should tell you what it will draw.
I use a 1TB ssd on the BDA-3.14 and there’s absolutely no issues

Clive197

« Reply #572 on: 27 Oct 2022, 02:07 pm »
A new anomaly.
My BR20 is telling me I have no internet connection. I have, currently listening via Qobuz!!!!!!!!!!!

Clive197

« Reply #573 on: 28 Oct 2022, 01:43 pm »
Further to yesterday’s post I’ve now reset my router, reset my BR-20, rebooted my iPad, checked my Ethernet connect and checked my internet speed which is a healthy 68Mbps but my BR-20 still insists that I do not have an internet connection. Something is not right!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #574 on: 28 Oct 2022, 02:51 pm »
Hi Clive - where is it telling you no connection?

james

Clive197

« Reply #575 on: 28 Oct 2022, 03:05 pm »
Hi James
On the home page of Manic Moose above the row of settings in box in centre screen. It used to say BR-20 in nominal state   (or words to such effect)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #576 on: 28 Oct 2022, 03:29 pm »
Strange - never seen that before - send Chris an email on it - crice@bryston.com

Clive197

« Reply #577 on: 29 Oct 2022, 11:51 am »
Ye-ha. BR20 at Nominal Operation. Very curious.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #578 on: 1 Nov 2022, 11:51 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #579 on: 29 Nov 2022, 03:44 pm »