Setting up a single Titan with Maggie MMGs

neuro

• http://www.slugcycling.com
« on: 4 Apr 2005, 03:52 pm »
Hi, my name is Nils, and I'm finally the owner of an ACI Titan.  I've wanted one of these subwoofers since their first iteration...

I purchased the Titan with a set of 65hz high-pass filters.  I'm very excited to get it tuned in to my system.

Given that my Maggies spec'd -3dB point is 50hz, should I instead opt for 85hz high-pass filters?

Also, what is a good starting point for setting the Titan's low-pass filters if I'm using high-pass filters?  For example, if I use the 85hz filters, should I initially set the low-pass to ~85hz?

I suppose that two Force subwoofers might have mated better, but I figure this setup gives me room to grow... eventually, I want to upgrade to Maggie 3.6s and I can then add another Titan to the setup for stereo subs.  Yummm.. :-)

Thanks for any input!
-- Nils

Eric

« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2005, 12:13 am »
Nils,

Welcome to the forum. You have an awesome sub in the Titan. I had one running with the Jags a few years ago. I set the top control to 60 Hz and the bottom one to 100 Hz and got perfect integration with the Jags

Harry P

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2005, 12:39 pm »
Congrats Nils on a great sub!

When I got my first Force, I bugged Mike repeatedly for the perfect setup. He sure is a patient guy!  In the end, I found that he was right when he said there is no "perfect" universal setup. Every room, setup, and person is different.  The best advice he gave me was to play with one variable at a time to see what effect it had sonically. So, I'd just play with the phase for a day or two,  them maybe one of the crossover filters. Once I could identify what each control did, it made it much easier to dial it in. I think you could probably start with both filters on the Titan at around 50-55Hz.  Get the phase and volume right,  then tweek on the crossover settings.  Let us know how it works out!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2005, 01:11 pm »
Nils:

You've gotten some great advice already. It took Harry awhile to believe me, but I see he finally caught on :)

I'd just add that I think it would be pretty much a toss up between the 65 and 85Hz filters. Sounds like you already have the 65Hz so might as well start there .. . .get everything dialed in and then let us know how you're doing. A lot of folks just do a quick setup like setting the filters, (in your case), around 50-55 (sometimes a bit lower if you need to notch out a room peak) . . . set volume . . . set phase and that's it. . . and it sounds great. Others, like Harry and myself will play away until we feel it is PERFECT :)

neuro

• http://www.slugcycling.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2005, 02:16 pm »
It took a while, but I finally got the Titan well integrated.  Crossovers at 45 and 60hz, phase at 0, and the subwoofer against the right wall.  Given that I had some severe room limitations, I was pretty excited when it hit the sweet spot :)

Alas, I just movied... and the new room will prove to be a challenge.  Using the original settings, the Titan sounded _way_ too boomy in the corner.  Time to start experimenting all over... wish me luck!

-- Nils

Harry P

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2005, 08:07 pm »
Nils, now that you've set it up in one room and heard it "right", you'll be able to do the new setup much easier. Have fun!