Solid State or Tubes with your NX-series speakers?

BrandonB

Just curious as to what everyone is running with their NX-series.  Let know what piece of equipment is what for example: Tube Preamp with solid state amp or all tubes or all solid state.

mkrawcz

Re: Solid State or Tubes with your NX-series speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2024, 11:27 pm »
Hybrid here. PS Audio BHK 300 monoblocks, and BHK Preamp. I am currently in the process of building an ANK Kit 2.1 Signature which is a tube DAC. Hopefully it will turn out good with the PS Audio gear.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2024, 12:34 am »
Just curious as to what everyone is running with their NX-series.  Let know what piece of equipment is what for example: Tube Preamp with solid state amp or all tubes or all solid state.

Brandon, I have formed some very definitive thoughts about "equipment" based on various things I've owned, and there is a reason for what I own what I own now, and why.  I've gotten to the point where there are certain key elements I look for that are leading indicators for whether it's something I want to try / will probably like.  I'll tell you about it, but I'm curious... what do you own now, and what about it do you not like?  You must be asking this question because "something is missing"...

Is it missing "the magic"... visceral stuff where you know "it's right"? (or not)

BrandonB

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2024, 12:41 am »
Hybrid here. PS Audio BHK 300 monoblocks, and BHK Preamp. I am currently in the process of building an ANK Kit 2.1 Signature which is a tube DAC. Hopefully it will turn out good with the PS Audio gear.

The ANK DAC's look very interesting.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2024, 01:06 am »
I also use the PS Audio hybrid (tube input/SS output stage) BHK preamp and the M1200 monoblocks. The BHK monoblocks are out of my reach.

Prior to getting the M1200s, I would switch off between the SS M700 monoblocks and the PrimaLuna Prologue 4. The hybrid M1200s gave me everything I loved about the M700s and the PrimaLuna in one package.

BrandonB

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2024, 03:31 am »
Brandon, I have formed some very definitive thoughts about "equipment" based on various things I've owned, and there is a reason for what I own what I own now, and why.  I've gotten to the point where there are certain key elements I look for that are leading indicators for whether it's something I want to try / will probably like.  I'll tell you about it, but I'm curious... what do you own now, and what about it do you not like?  You must be asking this question because "something is missing"...

Is it missing "the magic"... visceral stuff where you know "it's right"? (or not)
I just like hearing what people have and like.  I am building out my system as we speak.  I have some NX-otica's that I am about complete in a few weeks.  I had fredrick build my crossovers and speaker cables.  He does a great job.  Just picked up the crossovers wiring for the speakers and speaker wire at Danny's from being cryo'd.  I have an SMC audio DNA.5 amplifier and ran it on Danny's system and it sounded really good.  I was able to compare it to Danny's reference mono blocks and it held its own.  SMC audio customizes all their equipment.  Now I am going to pick up a DAC and some subs. It's kinda like eating an elephant.

BrandonB

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2024, 03:34 am »
I also use the PS Audio hybrid (tube input/SS output stage) BHK preamp and the M1200 monoblocks. The BHK monoblocks are out of my reach.

Prior to getting the M1200s, I would switch off between the SS M700 monoblocks and the PrimaLuna Prologue 4. The hybrid M1200s gave me everything I loved about the M700s and the PrimaLuna in one package.
I see a lot of people with PS audio equipment.  I also have read about people replacing the transformenrs and upgrading the Caps on the MK1 DAC and having great results but the upgrade isn't cheap.  Some have said it is the best DAC they have listened too.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2024, 06:06 am »
I had the MK1 in my system for a number of years until I git the MK2. As great as the MK1 is, the MK2 is a lot better. Especially after the latest firmware and FPGA updates.

When you were in my room last year at LSAF you were listening to the MK2, BHK preamp, and M1200 monoblocks driving the NX-Otica MTMs.

BGA

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2024, 06:50 pm »
I use a DODD battery powered preamp and a pair of ANK Mentor 300B mono blocks (Parallel SET so it's about 16w) and love the combination with the NX-Oticas. I use a MHDT Pagoda DAC (Tube and non oversampling), I use an adapter to allow me to use a 6922 tube which takes it to another level and would recommend to try if you are using that dac.

I also use a Neurochorme Modulus 286 amp I built and that sounds good with the DODD as well, just love the sound with 300B's give.

I don't listen to my system at above 80-85 decibels so I never feel that either amp is running out of jam.

BrandonB

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2024, 11:31 pm »
I use a DODD battery powered preamp and a pair of ANK Mentor 300B mono blocks (Parallel SET so it's about 16w) and love the combination with the NX-Oticas. I use a MHDT Pagoda DAC (Tube and non oversampling), I use an adapter to allow me to use a 6922 tube which takes it to another level and would recommend to try if you are using that dac.

I also use a Neurochorme Modulus 286 amp I built and that sounds good with the DODD as well, just love the sound with 300B's give.

I don't listen to my system at above 80-85 decibels so I never feel that either amp is running out of jam.

I like how all your equipment is pretty much had made.  Have you had other DAC's in the system how does yours compare if so?

BGA

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2024, 12:11 am »
I haven't tried any other DAC's with the NX-Otica's other than my Node 2i and I prefer the MHDT.

I'd like to try something like Denefrips Pontus as it is about the same price and see if the soundstage depth and width I get from my dac is the R2R dac or the help froth tube buffer. Just not in the cards right now.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2024, 12:55 am »
Tubes all over here with my NX-Studios. MHDT Atlantis tube buffered dac (Mullard CV2493), Tubes4HiFi PH16 phono stage (GL 6922), and Jolida 202 integrated amp (GL 12AX7 preamp, Telefunken ECC803 driver, and usually GL KT77 power tubes but I just red-plated one last weekend so running backups until I splurge for new set).

BrandonB

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2024, 02:41 am »
Tubes all over here with my NX-Studios. MHDT Atlantis tube buffered dac (Mullard CV2493), Tubes4HiFi PH16 phono stage (GL 6922), and Jolida 202 integrated amp (GL 12AX7 preamp, Telefunken ECC803 driver, and usually GL KT77 power tubes but I just red-plated one last weekend so running backups until I splurge for new set).

I think the tubes are winning and you are the second with the MHDT DAC.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2024, 03:42 am »
I think the tubes are winning and you are the second with the MHDT DAC.

I had some Schiit before BF2/64 and Modi MB, and the Bifrost2/64 was very detailed but a bit glassy and harsh with my speakers Ina near-midfield setup. Great with headphones though. But the MHDT was a lot more natural and 3 dimensional sound even if slightly less detailed. I have upgraded some of the parts inside and plan to do more later. Definitely good dac for tinkering (cap and resistor swaps, rca plugs, tube rolling, etc).

BrandonB

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2024, 07:57 pm »
I had some Schiit before BF2/64 and Modi MB, and the Bifrost2/64 was very detailed but a bit glassy and harsh with my speakers Ina near-midfield setup. Great with headphones though. But the MHDT was a lot more natural and 3 dimensional sound even if slightly less detailed. I have upgraded some of the parts inside and plan to do more later. Definitely good dac for tinkering (cap and resistor swaps, rca plugs, tube rolling, etc).

There is a lot of Schiit around.

Jaytor

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2024, 08:06 pm »
I am currently using DIY 300B PSET amps on my Line Forces. These are based on the ANK C-Core Interstage monoblock kits, but heavily modified. Driving these is a Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC through a DIY discrete FET line stage with a relay-switched attenuator. I was using these electronics with NX-Oticas before I passed these on to my son and got the Line Forces. These amps worked great on my NX-Oticas as well, but they definitely have more headroom on the Line Forces.

I'm using a DIY Purifi class D amp with Neurochrome input buffers on my NX-Studios, driven by an Aurilic Vega G2 DAC/Preamp.

I've also used the following amps on my NX-Oticas: Parasound JC5, Pass XA60.8 monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod286 monoblocks, and DIY Purifi monoblocks with a huge linear power supply and tube input buffers. Of all the amps I've used, I like the 300B SET amps the best, but the Pass XA60.8s and the DIY Purifi monoblocks were pretty close.

BrandonB

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2024, 09:38 pm »
I am currently using DIY 300B PSET amps on my Line Forces. These are based on the ANK C-Core Interstage monoblock kits, but heavily modified. Driving these is a Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC through a DIY discrete FET line stage with a relay-switched attenuator. I was using these electronics with NX-Oticas before I passed these on to my son and got the Line Forces. These amps worked great on my NX-Oticas as well, but they definitely have more headroom on the Line Forces.

I'm using a DIY Purifi class D amp with Neurochrome input buffers on my NX-Studios, driven by an Aurilic Vega G2 DAC/Preamp.

I've also used the following amps on my NX-Oticas: Parasound JC5, Pass XA60.8 monoblocks, DIY Neurochrome Mod286 monoblocks, and DIY Purifi monoblocks with a huge linear power supply and tube input buffers. Of all the amps I've used, I like the 300B SET amps the best, but the Pass XA60.8s and the DIY Purifi monoblocks were pretty close.
You have had a lot of nice equipment.  Have you ever just ran straight solid state?  How has your terminator compare to other DAC's in the past?

mkrawcz

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2024, 10:07 pm »
I should also point out that if I didn't have my PS Audio stuff, I would be perfectly happy going full SS with my DIY Hypex Nilai and preamp. I use that setup with the NX-Studios. The Nilai beats the Purifi IMO. The combo with the preamp is really good and they are going to be releasing a dac/streamer addon possibly this month for the preamp.

Jaytor

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2024, 01:12 am »
You have had a lot of nice equipment.  Have you ever just ran straight solid state?  How has your terminator compare to other DAC's in the past?

When I first built the NX-Oticas, I was using a Parasound JC2 preamp and JC5 amp. These are fairly nice products, but as I got into building my own gear, I found I liked my DIY builds better. The preamp I am currently using is still solid state, although I have a couple of tube preamps under construction.

When I first built the Purifi monoblocks, I was using the Neurochrome input buffers and only later replaced these with tube-based buffers. I also used my SS preamp with the Pass XA60.8 amps on the NX-Oticas, as well as the Neurochrome Mod286 monoblocks.

I've heard some exceptional solid state gear and I'm sure I could find SS equipment I'd be happy with. I will probably try to build more of my own in the next few years. In fact, I am currently building a pair of class A amps based on the new F5m design that Nelson Pass introduced at Burning Amp last year. I plan to use these to try out bi-amping my Line Forces with an active crossover.

The Terminator Plus is easily the best DAC I've owned, but not a huge difference over the original Terminator that I had before it. I haven't owned that many DACs, but over the past ten years, I've also used a Schitt Yggdrasil (which I still have in my workshop system), the Aurilic Vega G2 I have in my bedroom system, a Wyred4Sound DAC2, and a Levinson No 39 CD player (which I bought back in the late 90s).

The Terminator Plus has a very relaxed feel to it - very smooth yet detailed, with exceptional sound stage. I don't really have any complaints, and this is probably the last piece of gear that I would replace (except my Line Forces which are here to stay for good, at least until I have to downsize).

Early B.

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2024, 01:41 am »
The Terminator Plus has a very relaxed feel to it - very smooth yet detailed, with exceptional sound stage. I don't really have any complaints, and this is probably the last piece of gear that I would replace (except my Line Forces which are here to stay for good, at least until I have to downsize).

I replaced my Terminator II with a Lampizator Golden Atlantic TRP. The T2 is ultra-precise and an exceptional DAC, but the Lampizator is more dynamic, has a bigger soundstage, and it's more musical. The T2 is the professional pianist who reads music, and the Lampi is the jazz musician who plays from the heart. If you prefer the sound of tube amps/preamps over solid-state, you'll get more of what you like with a decent tube DAC.