Kef ls60 improvements

Formerviggenowner

Kef ls60 improvements
« on: 29 Feb 2024, 02:18 pm »
I’m Steven and building a new system around kef ls60.  I was wondering if there are any good tweaks for these speakers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Kef ls60 improvements
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2024, 05:52 pm »
I’m Steven and building a new system around kef ls60.  I was wondering if there are any good tweaks for these speakers
Buy a speaker that you don't need adjust or modify,
unless its a inexpensive vintage speaker IMO.

Zuman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2024, 02:41 pm »
Buy a speaker that you don't need adjust or modify,
unless its a inexpensive vintage speaker IMO.
I'm sure it's not intended, but that's not a very helpful or welcoming reply to someone who's asking specifically about building a system around the LS60.

This may not be particularly helpful either (and it's not really a "tweak"), but I had LS50s for quite a while, and I believe that many of their attributes also apply to their big brother.
I'd consider thinking about how to integrate a good subwoofer into your system. I've had great success with a REL Serie /S sub using REL's extremely fast and effective wireless interface. This enables you to place the sub in a location that works both acoustically and from a design standpoint (and I'm guessing that design is important to someone who's selected the LS60).
My REL allows my main speakers to do what they do best (imaging, coherence, tonality, air, etc.), and it doesn't muddy their sound. Even though the sub is located behind and to the right of my primary listening position, it appears that the extended bass and fullness comes from the main speakers in front of me.
Good luck!

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2024, 03:04 pm »
Formerviggenowner, if you have already made up your mind to get the LS60’s. I would recommend getting the speakers, live with them for a while get a feel to what they do. Once you have a handle on what they do or don’t do, then decide if you need to tweak.
If anyone tells you what to do before you have lived with the speakers, may or may not work for you. What they are saying may be what worked for them in their room, with their own system.

Let your ears be the judge.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2024, 04:23 pm »
I'm sure it's not intended, but that's not a very helpful or welcoming reply to someone who's asking specifically about building a system around the LS60.
Understood, no ofence intended. So being more useful I could recommend listening before buying and if he don't like it or find the sound too artificial, definitely don't buy it.

Some additional tweaks:
To increase the bass partially stuff the inside of the box with a certain amount of the usual brown blanket 15mm or 20mm (5mm dont works) used on car hood.

To reduce midrange and treble paint all the inside of the box matte black. No manufacturer does this, it must be expensive for them to buy paint and pay a painter. To this date I have only seen this in a French Cabasse speaker from the 1990s, but it was widely used in automotive subs.