Monopole vs the Others

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
Monopole vs the Others
« on: 7 Oct 2022, 10:14 pm »

What is it that distinguishes OB, omni and other multipolar speakers over a normal monopole box speaker when listening to stereo reproduction?
I have never heard a box speaker that did not project the majority of the stereo soundstage from behind the speakers. That location where the apparent dispersion characteristics of a direct radiator tend to objectively fail yet not being the case when you actually listen and the exact opposite is happening. After all stereo is already 3 dimensional.

In my case, where a strategic loudspeaker positioning results in more the room than direct sound being responsible for that type of sound everyone seems to equate to accurate reproduction, I fail to see the reasoning for a speaker with an omnidirectional radiation pattern.

The problem is that everything sounds great, and that can't be correct in the audiophile world so the only explanation for my being pleased with what I  hear is a consistent and favorable coloration (caused by the room?) and that when listening to those multi-directional type of speakers this favorable coloration is even more of an exaggeration.

The question for those with speakers other than monopole, does everything you listen to have an agreeable sound signature no matter what you listen to and would you consider, on sober reflection, that what you hear to be a form of coloration.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Monopole vs the Others
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2022, 11:39 am »
Depth of soundfield is not strictly a stereo construct, you can have perceived depth in mono recordings as well.  It's width that the two speaker set up brings, a perceived width beyond the spread of the speakers, a disappearing of the physical speaker location, that gives the most pleasing stereo effect.  While monopole, dipole, and bipolar speakers all can recreate the effects, speakers creating a rear wave trend to be more defuse in their imaging and more pleasing to some listeners.  While some prefer the more exacting imaging of monopoles, in my experience it's the other factors of dynamics and bass extension that bring folks back to box speakers. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2022, 11:56 am »
Some like the bass resonance of windows rattling that boxed woofers delivery.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2022, 03:58 pm »
Depth of soundfield is not strictly a stereo construct, you can have perceived depth in mono recordings as well.  It's width that the two speaker set up brings, a perceived width beyond the spread of the speakers, a disappearing of the physical speaker location, that gives the most pleasing stereo effect.  While monopole, dipole, and bipolar speakers all can recreate the effects, speakers creating a rear wave trend to be more defuse in their imaging and more pleasing to some listeners.  While some prefer the more exacting imaging of monopoles, in my experience it's the other factors of dynamics and bass extension that bring folks back to box speakers.

There is no depth in mono playback. As a matter of fact if it sounds like the sound source is radiating from a point somewhere behind the physical location of the speakers and there is no transitional distance where instruments can be easily located in that area between the speakers and the wall that isn't depth. Much like mono playback stuck to the back wall behind the speakers is not depth since what you hear is still 2 dimensional.

What you said still doesn't account for the majority of the sound source from a monopole being radiated from a location where the measureable dispersion is essentially zero.
Maybe someone who actually has omni/dipole speakers can confirm that in comparison to monopoles the additional ambience is coming from forward of the speakers location?

Anyway, depth is one of those fake psychoacoustic constructs that I have never experinced at a live concert.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2022, 03:59 pm »
Some like the bass resonance of windows rattling that boxed woofers delivery.

Thanks, I was thinking more along the lines of your modern competently designed loudspeakers not Large Advents on the floor in the corners.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2022, 04:18 pm »
Well, if you're happy with your setup then my advice is don't go changing it!  Getting to a place where everything sounds good is rare and should be held on to.

For me, I had (very good) box speakers for decades and never really considered OB speakers because I like full range speakers and I like bass.  In the past, most OB speakers just didn't have enough bass (or bass impact) for me. 

That changed with the Servo OB subs that GR Research sells - finally something OB that can thump you in the chest as well as plumb the depths (flat down to 20hz in my room).  So I switched over to a pair of GR Research Super 7's for my downstairs system and have been very happy ever since. 

For my upstairs system, I still wanted a 'rock and roll' type system so I still had box speakers (Klipsch Forte III's), and I liked how dynamic they were.  But the bass was lumpy and it drove me crazy.  So I sold them and got a pair of Spatial Audio X3's.  Not quite as much punch or depth as my Super 7s in the bass, but close.  And no more lumpy bass.  So, again I am happy. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2022, 04:27 pm »
After all stereo is already 3 dimensional.

Hmm… width, level, frequency?

All loudspeakers are heavily compromised. And usually in a room. With a human listening.

So what set of compromises best suit the listener in their room that best staisfoes that listeners needs. Budget and SO alsoo play a role.

We find many different kinds of loudspeaker compromises across quality & budget. For a reason.

Only you can figure out which is best for your situation.

dave

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2022, 06:49 pm »
"I fail to see the reasoning for a speaker with an omnidirectional radiation pattern."

>>>

"Only you can figure out which is best for your situation.

dave"

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2022, 01:24 am »
Correct, music + audio equip in a home is all about personal taste.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2022, 02:28 am »
As Nelson Pass says, hifi is part of the entertainment industry.

dave

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2022, 10:03 am »

dave

As Groucho says, “I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.”

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2022, 10:47 am »
As Groucho says, “I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.”

He also said, "I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it".  Which is how these circular arguments usually end up.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2022, 11:51 am »

dave
I didnot knew that, now I understand his prices.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2022, 12:26 pm »

In my case, where a strategic loudspeaker positioning results in more the room than direct sound being responsible for that type of sound everyone seems to equate to accurate reproduction, I fail to see the reasoning for a speaker with an omnidirectional radiation pattern.

A live band (instruments) radiate sound in a omindirectional pattern.