Jurassic World (2015 iteration of Jurassic park...)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Jurassic World (2015 iteration of Jurassic park...)
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2015, 07:35 pm »
If movie bad guys shot as well as I do most action films would be ten minutes long! :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2015, 09:49 pm »
Hey, remember that movie where Steven Seagal dies in the first 5 minutes? That was awesome. :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2015, 10:20 pm »
No but I'd like to see that! :D
What's the title?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2015, 10:26 pm »
Hey, remember that movie where Steven Seagal dies in the first 5 minutes? That was awesome. :thumb:

ANY movie where Seagal dies = Awesome!

If one doesn't exist, they should make one now - have Chuck Norris kill him.  Sure, Chuck is older, but Seagal is fatter.  I think Norris could take him.

ksbruce

Tyson

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2015, 10:29 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Executive_Decision

OMG, this is awesome, thank you!  Love this bit of trivia:

"Steven Seagal earned a Razzie Award nomination for Worst Supporting Actor for his performance in the film but lost to Marlon Brando for The Island of Dr. Moreau.[6]" 

Hahahahah that is some funny stuff.

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2015, 10:42 pm »
Except, its hard to escape, when the writing is so bad, and the story is littered with so many plot holes, that you could drive a genetically mutated hybrid dinosaur through it.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Accepting the fact that the movie is about dinosaurs living in 2015, and that someone allowed them to reopen the park after the catastrophic events of the last three movies happened, are we seriously to believe that the characters populating this movie are all smart enough to have gotten to this point in time, but are so stupid to make so many mistakes?

Here we have a park full of futuristic technology, with inventions that won't exist for decades, and creatures that might never be capable of being created, yet every scientist, engineer, dinosaur ranger, etc, etc, is completely brainless when the dino dookie hits the fan.

You create two raptor, toad, lizard, t-rex, hybrid killing machines, where already one was eaten by the other, and you have ZERO FAIL SAFES to stop the mayhem from occurring?

You implant ONE tracking/paralyzing device in the creature, where it apparently can easily reach it with its stubby T-rex arms? Huh? The world's smartest scientists came up with this plan?

You have ZERO way to lock down the different park quadrants, so in the rare event where your ONE fail safe fails, you are completely screwed. The world's best engineers came up with this plan?

You do realize in the real world this kind of negligence and shortsighted thinking happens ALL THE TIME. Again the movie itself explicitly comments on both this facet AND the oblivious consumers (US) who are more than willing to do something as bone-numbingly stupid as cavort amidst dinosaurs despite the obvious dangers. That's why the character of the ultra rich owner who calls himself a pilot despite the fact he hasn't finished training is there. He represents the answer to your criticisms. That's why Bryce Dallas Howard's character is the numbers-cruncher.

You're criticizing the movie for point out obvious prevailing real world issues when it comes to $-first corporate enterprise. The most recognizable being Hollywood itself.

Did you not hear about the lady who got killed in the South African animal park a few weeks ago? All your criticisms apply and that was just a freaking animal park. Jurassic World couldn't be any more relevant.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2015, 11:48 pm »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Jurassic Lunch where they toss him up in the air and then it's down the hatch for Steven Seagal.
I'd pay $20 to see that in 3D. 

Tyson

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:11 am »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Jurassic Lunch where they toss him up in the air and then it's down the hatch for Steven Seagal.
I'd pay $20 to see that in 3D. 

His mistake was trying to use the Dino's own momentum against it.  Aikido no go.

kingdeezie

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:20 am »
You do realize in the real world this kind of negligence and shortsighted thinking happens ALL THE TIME. Again the movie itself explicitly comments on both this facet AND the oblivious consumers (US) who are more than willing to do something as bone-numbingly stupid as cavort amidst dinosaurs despite the obvious dangers. That's why the character of the ultra rich owner who calls himself a pilot despite the fact he hasn't finished training is there. He represents the answer to your criticisms. That's why Bryce Dallas Howard's character is the numbers-cruncher.

You're criticizing the movie for point out obvious prevailing real world issues when it comes to $-first corporate enterprise. The most recognizable being Hollywood itself.

Did you not hear about the lady who got killed in the South African animal park a few weeks ago? All your criticisms apply and that was just a freaking animal park. Jurassic World couldn't be any more relevant.

Except, the lady that just was killed in a South African animal park, died because she was ignoring the rules. It wasn't negligence on the parks part, she had her windows down despite the park's warning signs, and the lion was able to get access to her.

Also, according to the article I read, an ambulance showed up on the scene relatively promptly, and the lion was contained and moved to a different site. This is what you could normally expect from a park trying to run a reasonably sound and safe entertainment park. 

There is no undertone commentary on consumerism, its just a vacuous story filled with plot holes that is meant to usher the audience from one action scene to the next.

There is a difference between negligence, and sheer stupidity.

And that's the problem. Any group of individuals capable of creating Jurassic World, would be smart enough to create an environment where its attendees would be safe, and in the event of negligence, or a mistake, there would be contingency plans to protect the inhabitants.

Opening the cage without checking for visualization of the creature was negligence. Not having a way to contain or eliminate the creature is stupidity. Not having a way to get the people off the island is stupidity.

Where did, and I quote directly from the movie, "the world's greatest engineers" come from?

You are giving the movie way too much credit here. That much thought wasn't put into the script, it just wasn't clever enough. The action scene boards were written, and the writers were like, "how do we get the man eating dinosaurs out of the aviary when we said it was built by the world's greatest engineers already....?"

"Oh I know!! Have the trained marines, shoot a hole through the roof. That makes complete sense right??!? Problem solved."

For my own curiosity, how is the owner pilot the answer to my criticism? That really just seemed ridiculous. It was so contrived, like the owner character needed to be placed in a heroic situation, because he is truly an altruistic billionaire, who just forgot to pay for any way to protect his customers....

Why hire more than one pilot? And, where did that pilot go again? Seeing a pattern?

Its not clever satire, its just bad writing. 

wushuliu

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:55 am »
Except, the lady that just was killed in a South African animal park, died because she was ignoring the rules. It wasn't negligence on the parks part, she had her windows down despite the park's warning signs, and the lion was able to get access to her.

If you're not able to see the parallels in your own sentence then I don't know what else to say.

kingdeezie

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jun 2015, 01:19 am »
If you're not able to see the parallels in your own sentence then I don't know what else to say.

Not one of the innocent bystanders that died during Jurassic World disobeyed the rules. The only ones that went against the rules, were the children, and they survived.

The dozens of people slaughtered by the dinosaurs towards the end, were killed FOR following the rules, and gathering like lambs to the slaughter, into one central area with no planned way of evacuation.

Where is the parallel?

The entire situation happened because no one operating, designing, or funding the park had any sense fore thought, intelligence, and rationality.

Its illogical, since these are the same people that built an entire masterpiece, filled with technology and innovation that we have yet to see in the real world.

The reason this is the case, is not for commentary or satire, its because with small amount of logic applied, the movie couldn't happen.

wushuliu

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jun 2015, 01:21 am »
The reason this is the case, is not for commentary or satire, its because with logic applied, the movie couldn't happen.

With the logic you're applying, most movies couldn't happen.

You didn't care for it. Noted.

wushuliu

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:56 pm »
FYI, the guy who grabs the margaritas is...Jimmy Buffet!

wushuliu

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jun 2015, 04:23 pm »
Not one of the innocent bystanders that died during Jurassic World disobeyed the rules. The only ones that went against the rules, were the children, and they survived.

The dozens of people slaughtered by the dinosaurs towards the end, were killed FOR following the rules, and gathering like lambs to the slaughter, into one central area with no planned way of evacuation.

Where is the parallel?

The entire situation happened because no one operating, designing, or funding the park had any sense fore thought, intelligence, and rationality.

Its illogical, since these are the same people that built an entire masterpiece, filled with technology and innovation that we have yet to see in the real world.

The reason this is the case, is not for commentary or satire, its because with small amount of logic applied, the movie couldn't happen.

Actually I just want to say that I am listening to a podcast with the director right now and he states that the idea behind the film is EXACTLY for the reasons I listed above.

So, no I am giving the film exactly the credit it deserves.

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jun 2015, 05:54 pm »
Actually I just want to say that I am listening to a podcast with the director right now and he states that the idea behind the film is EXACTLY for the reasons I listed above.

Some people pick up on the meta aspects of a film, others don't.  I used to be a plot stickler and didn't really have much sensitivity to the other aspects (such as what you are pointing out here).  Then I went on a BFI Top 100 challenge where I am attempting to watch all of the top 100 films on their list.  Many of the films are downright incomprehensible if you don't have some sensitivity to this level of film making, and it was only after watching each film a couple of times, hitting the commentary tracks and reading the scholarly articles on each film that I finally came around.  It was a lot of work but totally worth it.  I keep a spreadsheet, and I've now officially watched (and researched) 84 of the top 100 films.  About halfway through the list I actually started enjoying old films more than modern ones.  Wow, that was a shift.

Anyway, back on topic - nowadays I'm willing to forgive some issues with plot if it's got some other things going on that are interesting that aren't directly related to plot.  Sounds like I should check out JP.

kingdeezie

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jun 2015, 05:55 pm »

Wish I was a hollywood director. Then I could make a medicore movie with a horribly written script, and chalk all its shortcomings and plot holes up to ham-fisted social commentary.  :roll:

kingdeezie

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jun 2015, 06:01 pm »
Some people pick up on the meta aspects of a film, others don't.  I used to be a plot stickler and didn't really have much sensitivity to the other aspects (such as what you are pointing out here).  Then I went on a BFI Top 100 challenge where I am attempting to watch all of the top 100 films on their list.  Many of the films are downright incomprehensible if you don't have some sensitivity to this level of film making, and it was only after watching each film a couple of times, hitting the commentary tracks and reading the scholarly articles on each film that I finally came around.  It was a lot of work but totally worth it.  I keep a spreadsheet, and I've now officially watched (and researched) 84 of the top 100 films.  About halfway through the list I actually started enjoying old films more than modern ones.  Wow, that was a shift.

Anyway, back on topic - nowadays I'm willing to forgive some issues with plot if it's got some other things going on that are interesting that aren't directly related to plot.  Sounds like I should check out JP.

Do we REALLY think someone is going to write scholarly articles about Jurassic World?  :roll:

What little social commentary was there to be noted, was as subtle as a heart attack. There was product placement every where, and one of the characters actually said, "We aren't going to kill the dinosaur, it cost money!!"

The plot holes, have nothing to do with any broad message. It was just a bunch of ridiculous one dimensonal characters, making AWFUL decisions one after the other, to carry the audience from one set peice to the other.

ksbruce

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:16 pm »
OMG, this is awesome, thank you!  Love this bit of trivia:

"Steven Seagal earned a Razzie Award nomination for Worst Supporting Actor for his performance in the film but lost to Marlon Brando for The Island of Dr. Moreau.[6]" 

Hahahahah that is some funny stuff.

Hey Tyson! No problem!!

wushuliu

« Reply #39 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:49 pm »
Do we REALLY think someone is going to write scholarly articles about Jurassic World?  :roll:

What little social commentary was there to be noted, was as subtle as a heart attack. There was product placement every where, and one of the characters actually said, "We aren't going to kill the dinosaur, it cost money!!"

The plot holes, have nothing to do with any broad message. It was just a bunch of ridiculous one dimensonal characters, making AWFUL decisions one after the other, to carry the audience from one set peice to the other.

Yeah well the whole premise of back to the future is based on a normal teenager being close friends with a disgraced nuclear physicist nutjob. There is no explanation given whatsoever and makes no sense at all but it's still one of the best movies ever.