2008 change to the HT2 now the HT2i

RAW

2008 change to the HT2 now the HT2i
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 03:59 am »
For 2008 we have changed the crossover point in the HT2 so the new model will be HT2i.

Over all better imaging as well as dispersion vertically now over the older HT2.

For those who have just ordered the HT2 yes we will be shipping the new crossovers in those orders.

mumbles

Re: 2008 change to the HT2 now the HT2i
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2008, 12:49 am »
Hi Al,
I have not built my HT2 kit yet. Is it possible to switch to the new crossover? What parts would I need?

RAW

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2008, 03:59 am »
Yes you can contact me and well worth it in every way to change the crossover to the new version.
The new HT2 is far more inviting than the old HT2 which some found compressed.

So how are the HT8 and Apex C coming?

mumbles

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2008, 05:46 pm »
I suffered some tendon damage and a broken finger last year which robbed my motor skills for some time. I am making my own wiring for the kits using oxygen free copper and pure silver. Should be done next week so I will be back at Denny to finish the boxes. Just tell me what I need and I will order it. Do you still have my email address?

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2008, 06:14 pm »
Richard.
No I do not have email on file for you.
Send me a email.

audioferret

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2008, 11:42 am »
I guess I will have to order these crossovers when I get back.  How much are they?

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2008, 03:45 pm »
William
The new crossovers for the HT2 to make them the new HT2i
$110.00 (crossovers parts only) with Solen caps,Sonicap Gen II bypass caps plus foil 16g inductors
$92.00  (crossovers parts only) with Solen caps,Sonicap Gen II bypass caps plus Solen Air core 16g inductors

Add Sonicap capacitors to one of the above for $68.00
Add Sonicap Platinum bypass capacitors to one of the above for $72.00

Our stock crossovers now come with Solen caps,Sonicap Gen II bypass caps plus foil 16g inductors (effective March 1)

mumbles

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2008, 11:57 pm »
Hi Al,
I am going to go with the Sonicaps all round as I have already been very happy with their contribution to sound quality. I would like to use Mundorf foil inductors. I like the fact that they are OFC and single crystal. Is that possible through you and what is your opinion them. Will it be possible to use foil inductors with the HT8s?
all the best
RB

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2008, 04:51 pm »
Richard
By all means use the mundorf foils.Some people find with foils the midrange as well as lower bass changes.

Some people perfer one brand to another, I have listened to a few brands of foils in the HT2i and the changes a few people picked out right away.Others could not say they found a big difference.

Let me know what you think of the changes with the Mundorfs if you do a listening comparison

mumbles

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2008, 07:25 pm »
Hi AL,
Was any one more specific about those changes due to foil?
Why did you consider the possibility of using foil?
Did you hear more of what you liked or less?
RB

audioferret

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2008, 01:30 pm »
A question on Voicing...

Is the voicing of the HT2i (or the HT2) matched to the HT3? 

I am looking at how these will work in a HT environment and want the front three speakers to be identically voiced. 

The LCR you mentioned sounds really tempting...

Also, have you looked at a surround speaker?  I am probably going with HT2s, but I need to wall-mount.  I am considering a configuration similar to Axiom Audio's surrounds - or - something like the surrounds that Danny designed (Ceiling firing).  What would work here?

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2008, 04:01 pm »
Your HT3 and old HT2 you also have will be fine.
If you step up to the HT2i new crossover in your Paduk HT2, the match is better with the new crossover.AS you are getting the new HT3 crossover as well aa

RAW

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2008, 04:02 pm »
Hi AL,
Was any one more specific about those changes due to foil?
Why did you consider the possibility of using foil?
Did you hear more of what you liked or less?
RB

Mundorfs on the mids and you can use Alpha core or even the foils from PE on the tweeter.

audioferret

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2008, 04:17 pm »
If you step up to the HT2i new crossover in your Paduk HT2, the match is better with the new crossover.AS you are getting the new HT3 crossover as well aa

Just about the first thing I am doing when I get home is upgrading the crossovers - on both sets.  Are both of them  designed by Danny?  I am thinking of moving the HT3s to two channel duty in the study upstairs (15 x 20), with my FR monitors on duty on the first floor living area, and 5 HT-2s in the Home theater...but I keep shuffling it in my mind...

Also, have you seen the new tweeter at CSS?  Looks like an interesting upgrade option.

RAW

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2008, 04:36 pm »

Just about the first thing I am doing when I get home is upgrading the crossovers - on both sets.  Are both of them  designed by Danny?  I am thinking of moving the HT3s to two channel duty in the study upstairs (15 x 20), with my FR monitors on duty on the first floor living area, and 5 HT-2s in the Home theater...but I keep shuffling it in my mind...

Also, have you seen the new tweeter at CSS?  Looks like an interesting upgrade option.

I think you have the correct direction.Move the HT3 into 2 channel and 5 HT2i in a room with the sub you are looking at will match very nice.

No Danny only did the HT3 crossover ALL the new models we did here.That applies to the HTi series,HTO series, TL and last the Apex series were all designed here.

Yes the new ribbon from CSS, I just finished some work involvement with Bob on those tweeters before they were made.Same as any tweeter all for a price and those are far more money with changes we feel that are very suttle.
As a fact I just finished 4 speaker designs for Bob using those ribbons as well did 2 of the designs with ours.Which those new designs will be shown at VSAC. The results were not shocking on the new ribbon from CSS,over all the 2 ribbons the dispersion was very very close and the frequency response was the big difference.These ribbons from CSS can have the rising response from 15-18k which most people this is the area some find ribbons to hot or irritating.And ours ribbon does not have this rising response in the same frequency range.The longer ribbon will be going into a line array we have coming.

:o
Did I say line array no sorry line array's
Yes they will use the long new ribbon and the SDX7 woofers.

RAW

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2008, 04:41 pm »
Notice the face plates on those ribbons.Wonder who had a influence.

audioferret

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2008, 05:23 pm »
Yes they will use the long new ribbon and the SDX7 woofers.

Ah yes, the SDX7...I can't wait to replace the older extremis with them...The remaining drivers will go into a small subwoofer to match my FR monitors.  I picked up a Paradim X30 crossover to play with...

audioferret

« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2008, 05:30 pm »
Also, is the partsexpress curved 1L cabinet appropriate for this driver/crossover combination?  I am noting  the attractiveness and ease of five quick speakers as a plus right now.  The boxes they come in would be awfully convenient for moving...