Cap upgrade

david45

Cap upgrade
« on: 5 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm »
I might finally pull the trigger on a second-hand sensation amplifier!! A nice 901 that was modded by jason with clarity SA 3.3uf caps and platinum bypass. As i would mostly (but not solely) use it on the 80hz setting i am wondering if some of those  clarity MR caps could be fitted in there to replace the hi-pass caps. I would most likely have to do without the platinum bypass in order to fit them i assume? Judging from the pictures i was sent by the owner it seems pretty tight in there :)
Do you guys think they could physically fit? Clarity SA 3.3 and Clarity MR .1 hi-pass caps?

bardamu

Re: Cap upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2012, 01:01 am »
Hello David,
So you would open it regularly to make it full range or make it with the 80 hertz filter. Why not say i will just use it 80 hertz and have the best cap fitted there. I cannot imagine changing my set up regularly. I did start using it with the filter right away because i have an active subwoofer. Still waiting for russian teflon and pasper in oils to arrive. Now i just use the switch to select between two 80 hertz caps. The first one i did install was way better than the original one. i can send you a pair if you like.
Are you going to install them yourself?  Can be done but it is a lot of connectors to disconnect and you need a good soldering station and desoldering pump.See my post in the other thread.
This 80 hertz will give better results if you are using a subwoofer. That 80hertz will be physically smaller in such a way that you can fit 2 so you can switchj.
Sincere greetings, Edward 
P.s the russian paper in oils are about the seize of my favorite cap now but the teflon are way bigger. The 100nf will fit but you might have to make the wire a bit longer at one side.

david45

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:00 pm »
Merci beaucoup pour les conseils edward :)
The sensation isn't going to be used below 200hz whatever mode i select as it is going to be paired with gr research super-v speakers. In other words, having it configured the same way you have yours with 2 different pairs of hi-pass caps would be an interesting solution. However, i am not going to do the cap upgrade myself and it will be easier to resell in the future if it can be played with fullrange speakers as opposed to above 80hz only. Plus the 3.3uf SA caps are already in there. It is very tempting though i must admit. You simply put in two sets of hi-pass caps and voila?
Thanks again

bardamu

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm »
Hello,
You can start reading my post and find some pictures. As you can see there are just 2 caps the original 100nf and a polystyrene that i did put in the place of the original auricap2.2 Like i said before the polysterene is much better than the virtue cap. This virtue cap will be replaced by a russian cap in the near future. If this one will be better than the polysterene then the polysterene will be replaced by another russian cap. I did order paper in oil and teflon. Every time i will just replace the one that is second best to me. I did modify the chassis in such a way that it will be easy to change the cap.
I you let someone else do the cap change i would go for changing them both. Unless you are very sure that you already have your favourite 100 nf cap.
If you look at the online manual you will that after opening the chassis it will take a minute to change the cap by changing the position of the switch.
Sincere greetings, Edward