CES Reports?

DFaulds

CES Reports?
« on: 13 May 2003, 02:07 pm »
I'm looking at a smiling picture of James Bongiorno in the latest Audiophile Voice, and I can see what looks like a poster of 626R's in the background, but no actual mention of VMPS in the CES coverage.  I also seem to think I've seen report in several other mags (TAS and Stereophile) and have yet to see any mention of VMPS.  Did I miss something, or is VMPS being snubbed again by the audio rags?

soundguy3

VMPS snubbed?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2003, 01:22 am »
Hi,

I too have been looking at several recaps of CES 2003 and could not find anything on VMPS.  :?   There was something I read, but it was not in the major audio rags...and even then, they were not that impressed in  the VMPS room.  They said they could not figure out what all the hulabaloo was about....lol...go figure.  People can't seem to give credit where credit is due.  I think you are right in your assumption that VMPS is being snubbed.

This kind of thing happened years ago to another speaker company.....It took years and years for the reviews of this company to show up in the magzines. Now, they are  a very major player.  I am sure that money and politics play an unfortunate role in who's latest creation is to be reviewed in the major rags.

I personally trust smaller publications more in areas like this.  Some of these do not accept ads and therefore do not tend to be biased anyway.......Bound for Sound is one that comes to mind among others.

Soundguy3

azryan

CES Reports?
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2003, 12:23 am »
Soundguy3,

So did you ever see VMPS mentioned in Bound for Sound then? Did they have anything about VMPS at the CES? Did they even do a CES report?

One thing it shows though is that none of these audio mags recognize the non-audio TechTV 'best of show' for technical innovation award that the 40's and the RM/X room got.

Not that VMPS doesn't deserve real respect and real awards for audio.

I'd love to see the 40's or RM/X reviewed in a real audio mag w/ full audio test info and a 'pro's' opinion compared to other big time speakers.

That one shoot out w/ the RM2's on VMPS's site it cool, but c'mon won't ONE mag do a RM-40 review at least? A 626R review as part of a bookshelf shootout would be great too!

Brad

CES Reports?
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2003, 03:41 am »
Listener mag did a terrific review of the RM2's (pre RM40).
It was a 5 speaker comparison in the $2-3k range.

Unfortunately, they're not around anymore.
Positive Feedback is the only other rag that gave VMPS any print - they went OOB before Listener, although they have revived as a web-only rag.

I'd love to read an Art Dudley review of the newer VMPS........

soundguy3

VMPS in Bound for Sound
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2003, 04:38 am »
Azryan,

The only thing I have seen about VMPS is the reprinted article/review from Bound For Sound of the RM40's, which is on the VMPS website.

SG3

lifewithmusic

CES Reports?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2003, 05:08 am »
Spare us.

"Real" audio mags are seriously biased.  TAS didn't used to be, but the last few years -- about the them The Perfect Vision came along -- it's gone down hill.  Stereophile and TAS magazines exist as mere content advertisements and their reviews can't be trusted.  Unfortunately this is a disservice to the audio industry.  But it fits in with the same style of product selection and promotion that the big time music industry uses to select and promote music on CDs.  No one is acting as a policeman for the market place so no one should be surprised that consumer satisfaction wanes as they pay heavy dollars for dissatisfying products, and industry growth slides.  Those two mags act as if their is no audio recession.  But audio stores, if honest, will confirm times are tough and have been since 911.