New fan of VMPS need help with identifying a model

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
New fan of VMPS need help with identifying a model
« on: 12 Jan 2022, 04:31 pm »
I recently picked up a set of VMPS speakers that are in remarkable condition.  I'm a big fan of older Yamaha equipment and when I hooked the speakers to my newly recapped CR-820 I was absolutely blown away. I need help finding info on them. I think they are Model 2 SE's.  The serial numbers and instructions have been covered up by at resonance arrester that has been attached by screws AND adhesive.  Trying to get the arrester off will only result in tearing the papers on the back.  I'd like to know roughly the year of manufacture and if there might be a manual available.  I will be taking them to a fellow that specializes in speakers as soon as he get finished with my JBL's.  He will go over them and service them as needed.

Thanks

-Owen

davidc1

Re: New fan of VMPS need help with identifying a model
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2022, 05:43 pm »
I recently picked up a set of VMPS speakers that are in remarkable condition.  I'm a big fan of older Yamaha equipment and when I hooked the speakers to my newly recapped CR-820 I was absolutely blown away. I need help finding info on them. I think they are Model 2 SE's.  The serial numbers and instructions have been covered up by at resonance arrester that has been attached by screws AND adhesive.  Trying to get the arrester off will only result in tearing the papers on the back.  I'd like to know roughly the year of manufacture and if there might be a manual available.  I will be taking them to a fellow that specializes in speakers as soon as he get finished with my JBL's.  He will go over them and service them as needed.

Thanks

-Owen

There were never any models called "2". Perhaps upload a picture, or go to the threads that have old brochures. Regarding rebuildint them.. no offense to your friend, but if he is not familiar with VMPS models, I would not ask him to do anything to them.

Brian Cheney, the designer, used crossovers that were highly unusual. Also, if you were to replace the drivers with anything different, you could substantially change the sound.

Lastly, the "resonance arrestor" that you mentioned does not sound like anything OEM.

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2022, 05:48 pm »
He did repairs for a living and since retiring he does stuff to keep busy. He has 2 pair of VMPS's there for rebuild now. I appreciate the advice but he knows his stuff.

Pic attached.  You don't want to know what i paid for these....

ww.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=235286[/img]
[/img]

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2022, 05:53 pm »
I think you are right about the resonance arrestor not being OEM.  VMPS wouldn't have put one over the stickers on the back for one thing, and I doubt it's anything Mr. Cheney would've even considered using.  i wish they hadn't been put on with adhesive AND screws. Big screws mind you...

I'm not sure the image attached. I'll add it again.

duck851

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2022, 06:00 pm »
You may have Tower II SE like mine - from the top down, a ribbon, a dome, a 5" mid, 2 x 12" woofers and underneath a 12" passive?

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2022, 06:16 pm »
It's entirely possible. I haven't even gone over them yet.

Stimpy

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2022, 06:30 pm »
Maybe these:

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2022, 07:20 pm »
I REALLY appreciate that sir.

Stimpy

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2022, 07:58 pm »
I've got to ask; what's a "resonance arrester"?  Any chance of seeing a picture of that? 

If I'm thinking clearly (doubtful), I seem to remember a small square box, that attached to a cabinet, to help damp vibrations.  I always wondered if they were effective or not?

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2022, 08:12 pm »
Yes, that's it exactly it.  I'll take a pic tonight.  I've been meaning to anyway. I wish i could get them off of there with out messing up the stickers. I'd love to see the serial numbers.

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2022, 02:36 am »

davidc1

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2022, 03:02 am »
I've got a feeling that Brian probably would have laughed at these things. I sure am.

I think he was a proponent of more established choices. Like bracing the cabinet, or absorption material.  But these things claim to dissipate the mechanical energy by heat?
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2022, 08:04 pm by davidc1 »

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2022, 12:18 pm »
I have no idea how they are supposed to work. I think its supposed to be a more mechanical thing. I wish I could get them off of there without defacing the original labels. It appears that both are put on with adhesive and then 8 very large screws.

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm »
Just checking. You have removed the screws and found them still stuck to the back? Sometimes glues degrades over time...

Rumjungle

• I advance masked...
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2022, 05:27 pm »
Yes. I removed the screws on both and they are stuck good.

ZAKski288

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2022, 06:05 pm »
I had a pair of the Tower II SE’s there great speakers. Here’s a picture of the paper work from the back of speakers. Also you might want to check your  passive radiator to see if it was coated, if not heres the link
Scroll down to Vitrifying your Passive Radiator.  Enjoy Ken

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=47927.msg479067#msg479067

« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2022, 07:17 pm by ZAKski288 »

davidc1

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2022, 08:06 pm »
I have no idea how they are supposed to work. I think its supposed to be a more mechanical thing. I wish I could get them off of there without defacing the original labels. It appears that both are put on with adhesive and then 8 very large screws.

Understood. The only thing on the sheets that is of any significance is the serial number. Which doesn't really mean anything as there is no corresponding info for it. No original owner, no date of sale, nothing as far as I know. The rest of the sheets are available on the website. Pictures I believe.