Resistor Parasitic Capacitance and Capacitor ESR

77SunsetStrip

Resistor Parasitic Capacitance and Capacitor ESR
« on: 17 May 2021, 10:48 pm »
No resistor, capacitor, or inductor is perfect. Just for fun, used an LCR to measure capacitance of a resistor.  Understand it is parasitic capacitance, frequency dependent. Sand cast resistor - 1272 uF, Audio grade precision wire wound - 909 uF, Metal Film resistor - 449 uF, and Precision carbon film - 306 uF.  Those values seem unreasonably high.  For the moment assume the spread from high to low is correct, 4X. 

Those that dismiss better quality capacitors in a loudspeaker crossover attribute any measurable or audible change to tolerance and ESR moving the crossover frequency.  Assuming replaced parts are not defective, those two parameters could vary a few tenths of a uF and tenths of an ohm in a midrange or tweeter crossover circuit.  That amount of variation makes a tiny difference in XSim.  Hardly enough to shift a crossover point enough to be audible.

At the same time the capacitor dissing crowd deems sand cast resistors as perfectly fine and better quality is snake oil.  Am I missing something?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Resistor Parasitic Capacitance and Capacitor ESR
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2021, 03:58 pm »
Several orders of magnitude high.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2021, 04:46 pm »
I would guess something like 5 to 20 picofarads, from a resistor lead to a copper circuit board. More for big metal cased power resistors.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2021, 06:23 pm »
Picofarads is what I would expect.  Unfortunately, unable to manually vary frequency of the LCR device.