DAC chip replacement...

madsry

DAC chip replacement...
« on: 9 Feb 2021, 09:57 pm »
I hope I'm not being naive here, but I'm trying to revive an older DAC and understand that the DAC chips need to be replaced.  Miraculously I found the right NOS chips, but having trouble getting the time of day from anyone regarding the replacement of the chips.  I'm in the Northwest, although I'd be happy to ship it out if the right tech was available and actually interested in the project.

If anyone has any tips for me, or leads to chase, I'd be extremely grateful.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: DAC chip replacement...
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2021, 10:57 pm »
Ryan,

Do you mean replace an aging/dead TDA 1543 DAC chip <for example> with an undamaged TDA 1543 DAC chip, or do you mean replace a damaged TDA 1543 chip with a TDA 1541 <for example>?

I'm pretty sure I've never read anyone's posts declaring they switched out an old DAC chip for a new one in their DAC. DACs aren't just the DAC chip itself. There (how do I describe it?) is an 'architecture' comprised of resistors, capacitors, cpus(?), etc. that are a part of the design. Is it even possible to take out an old chip and replace it with an entirely different chip while maintaining the communication between the DAC chip and the surrounding architecture?

Which DAC have you got and which DAC chip is inside?

Michael

madsry

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2021, 09:47 am »
It's an older Lite Audio DAC.  It needs one of the PCM1704's replaced.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2021, 11:15 am »
Lite DAC-83?

[Not that I know anything about it, but that's what seems to match your very brief description.]

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2021, 12:18 pm »
unless  you have the exact same dac chip and then there may be more wrong to it in which case shipping and repair will cost more than a new dac.
it's time for a new dac.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2021, 04:42 pm »
Hi madsry,

Normally I would agree with the move on advice, however, the PCM1704 is Texas Instruments last great R2R DAC IC so might be worth a try.

I can change the IC for you. NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED as the saying goes. If you believe your replacement part has good providence we can give it a shot.

Do be aware these have a reputation and there are issues with fakes (as is common throughout electronics manufacture in 2021).

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/56752-reliability-of-pcm1704-dac-chip/

Best case replace part and pretty music. Not-so-best-case replace part and we're out your shipping cost and my time.

madsry

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2021, 09:16 pm »
Thank you for the reply!  Sending you a PM now.