DTS HD MA Sound: A step up in quality to be sure

Freo-1

DTS HD MA Sound: A step up in quality to be sure
« on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:49 pm »

Just picked up a copy of the 2005 Cream Reunion concert on Bly Ray.  Man, the DTS HD MA mix sounds incredible on this.  It's a noticeable step up from the standard DVD DTS mix, and a HUGE step up from the CD.  The sound is more natural across the board, with stunningly clear clarity.   8)

Listening to well recorded multi channel music on this format makes arguments about not being to hear the difference between HD and CD seem moot.  IMHO, the HD format on well recorded music is truly a more enjoyable experience than any two channel setup, be it CD or vinyl.

Here's hoping that more HD surround music becomes readily available! 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DTS HD Sound: A step up in quality to be sure
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:58 pm »
Yes, the BluRay true hirez codecs DTS HD MA (stands for master audio....as opposed to just DTS HD which is still lossy) Dolby TrueHD and LPCM 24/xxx are great.  The audiophile world doesn't yet, though, have a boatload of true hirez to pick from.  I was hoping even the BluRay Audio (no video, or very little) titles would start to flourish but they haven't.  The pickings aren't awful, but not in the hundreds yet. 

Freo-1

Re: DTS HD MA Sound: A step up in quality to be sure
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:38 pm »
I'd be happy to just see a lot of music concerts/performances reissued in the DTS HD MA or Dolby TureHD. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: DTS HD MA Sound: A step up in quality to be sure
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:47 pm »
Are there tools to convert Bluray DTS or Dolby HD audio tracks to hi-rez FLAC 5.1 files?