Help! I'm confused about my new 7B ST's...

Dokter_doug

« on: 9 Dec 2003, 04:32 am »
One 7B ST has a single set of speaker connects, the other has two sets with what appear to be instructions about how to connect 3-8 ohm loads, vs a low (down to 1 ohm) load. Both amps have a switch allowing for a Series or Parallel  option, with Series driving a higher impedance load, and parallel driving the low impedance load. The problem is that on the amp with two sets of speakers connects, there appears to be instructions directing me to connect the speakers to different posts, depending upon the speaker load, and the series diagram looks as if it's directing me to connect the speaker leads to the two "red" posts.

I'm confused. Can someone help. My speakers are FB1's

Thanks

Dokter_doug

« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2003, 02:49 am »
Answered by the tech staff at Bryston. Back to "Wow, do I ever like the PMC's and Bryston combo"  :D

jethro

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2003, 03:01 am »
Dokter_doug,

Could you post why the amps are different. I've been toying with the idea of going from a 4B-ST to a pair of used 7B-ST's for my IB1's.

Thanks.

Dokter_doug

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2003, 01:28 am »
J.-

I've posted how they LOOK different and how they need to be hooked up differently. I don't know how that relates to their structural differences. That would probably be best answered by the Bryston rep. (John Tanner) who has posted elsewhere in this forum.

jethro

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2003, 02:40 am »
Dokter_doug,

I was just wondering if you had any extra tidbits of information to add.
I haven't personally seen a 7B-ST yet. Just knowing there are different models is good to know. 7B-ST's are second on my wish list  anyways, just behind an IB1 center.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2003, 01:44 pm »
HI All,

The original 7B ST's had 2 sets of 5-way speaker connections. If you wanted to listen to the amp in Parallel (current) mode you could use either pair of Black -Red.
If you wanted to listen to Series (voltage) mode you hooked up only the 2-Red posts (no black)
Most people found this confusing so we eplace the hookup option with 1 pair of binding psots and a switch for Series or Parrallel.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2003, 01:44 pm »
HI All,

The original 7B ST's had 2 sets of 5-way speaker connections. If you wanted to listen to the amp in Parallel (current) mode you could use either pair of Black -Red.
If you wanted to listen to Series (voltage) mode you hooked up only the 2-Red posts (no black)
Most people found this confusing so we eplace the hookup option with 1 pair of binding psots and a switch for Series or Parallel.

james