Dianna krall & The audiophile

1oldguy

Dianna krall & The audiophile
« on: 4 May 2014, 10:51 pm »
A short fictitious story.

A guy goes out and buys an all out, no price limit audio system of true audiophile epic proportions.
Then gets his friends over to enjoy it with him,nothing wrong with that.
First thing his buddies say is,Dianna Krall must sound really good.

Don't know if it's just me, but I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who have probably
built a system of some sort because of Dianna Krall.That woman, almost without fail,
is on the short list of music that many self claiming audiophiles listen to.I mean come on,you got to love Dianna
krall right,with your high end gear and all that.

Go on youtube and there you have it,again and again being played on nothing but the best systems out there.
Now if you like her music fine,we all like what we like.This is nothing other than an observation and not meant to offend anybody.

srb

Re: Diana Krall & The Audiophile
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2014, 11:00 pm »
I would be offended - or not - if I understood what your point was, but I don't.

Steve

HAITIMAN

Re: Dianna krall & The audiophile
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2014, 11:09 pm »
Better to just come out and say it. She is awful. Just say it.
Try Ella - Let no man write my epitaph.

1oldguy

Re: Diana Krall & The Audiophile
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2014, 11:11 pm »
I would be offended - or not - if I understood what your point was, but I don't.

Steve

Then there is no chance of offending you,which as I said wasn't the point,it's just and observation among many audiophiles.

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2014, 11:12 pm »
Better to just come out and say it. She is awful. Just say it.

Ain't saying  8) :lol:

PRELUDE

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2014, 11:59 pm »
I tried this one and it was sound much better then Dianna Krall in my system. :thumb: :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmenTtGe_6I

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2014, 12:12 am »
Never heard of her.

Doc

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2014, 12:29 am »
I think Jeff Hamilton on drums, John Clayton on bass, and wow Anthony Wilson (son of the great Gerald Wilson) they are all great.  They backed her up and were her touring band for quite a while.  Probably have a lot to do with her success.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2014, 01:14 am »
I would rather listen to fingernails scraping on a blackboard.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2014, 01:23 am »
This post immediately brought to mind one of my favorite signs at RMAF last year (thought I took a picture, but I can't find it - so my wording may be off by a bit)

Hand written in one of the Demo rooms. "Please tell us what you want to hear, or we'll be forced to play Diana Krall and Nils Lofgren"

I think everybody just gets tired of Krall. Some of it's good, some not so much, but geeesh.... enough.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2014, 01:31 am »

..or even Carmen McRae.

As for new jazz singers, the only one that I love is Melody Gardot.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2014, 01:33 am »
This post immediately brought to mind one of my favorite signs at RMAF last year (thought I took a picture, but I can't find it - so my wording may be off by a bit)

Hand written in one of the Demo rooms. "Please tell us what you want to hear, or we'll be forced to play Diana Krall and Nils Lofgren"

I think it was the Zesto room, but not completely sure.

spinner

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2014, 01:53 am »
If I only had her to listen to I would pack in the whole idea of a good system :shake:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2014, 01:57 am »
As you walk through the hotel hallways at the audio shows, you will hear A LOT of D. Krall.  It is way overplayed!  :duh:
Most people who go to these shows feel the same way.  Same with Norah Jones, Patricia Barber, etc.   :banghead:

If someone comes into my room and has a Krall CD and really, really wants to hear it, I'll play it.  I'll play just about anything if attendees bring their music, but I rather not play the "same-old-same-old" because I think it gets boring for a lot people, including me trapped in the room for a few days  :green:

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2014, 06:57 am »
When people come to my house and they want me to spin up some
Diana Krall high res stuff on the big system, I tell them OK, then I
play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE

1oldguy

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2014, 10:41 am »

I think everybody just gets tired of Krall. Some of it's good, some not so much, but geeesh.... enough.

It's almost a prerequisite that if your into high end audio or consider oneself to be an audiophile,or aspire to be one, it is a forgone conclusion that you would naturally  listen to Dianna Krall.
That was the inspiration,based on observation, cause I'm like that.  :thumb:
The question I ask rhetorically is,are we as individuals or as a collective into this hobby because of what we get out of it or how we appear to others.Thinking the answer isn't so clear as we may think it to be based on the for mentioned introduction.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2014, 12:58 pm »

It's almost a prerequisite that if your into high end audio or consider oneself to be an audiophile,or aspire to be one, it is a forgone conclusion that you would naturally  listen to Dianna Krall.

That is not me and never has been. Most of my friends who are into high end audio or an audiophile do not listen to her and in fact many of them hate her singing as much as I do. I put Patricia Barber in that same category. Also, I have met many at various audio shows who can't stand either of them. So no, it is not a forgone conclusion that audiophiles listen to Krall. YMMV

The question I ask rhetorically is,are we as individuals or as a collective into this hobby because of what we get out of it or how we appear to others.Thinking the answer isn't so clear as we may think it to be based on the for mentioned introduction.

I'm into this hobby for the music with a desire to have it sound as real as possible on my system in my listening room. I'm all rock n roll and could care less whether others like what I like.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2014, 01:07 pm »
I guess I'm not an audiophile. I'd rather listen to a scratchy reissue of Alberta Hunter or Sippie Wallace from the '20s and '30s, than a pristine recording by  Krall. It's about the music not the equipment or software. Krall bores me.

Doc

SoCalWJS

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2014, 01:17 pm »
That is not me and never has been. Most of my friends who are into high end audio or an audiophile do not listen to her and in fact many of them hate her singing as much as I do. I put Patricia Barber in that same category. Also, I have met many at various audio shows who can't stand either of them. So no, it is not a forgone conclusion that audiophiles listen to Krall. YMMV

I'm into this hobby for the music with a desire to have it sound as real as possible on my system in my listening room. I'm all rock n roll and could care less whether others like what I like.
Well stated!

This is how I feel on the topic as well as everybody that I know that shares this hobby. One of the main reasons I listen to "Audiophile" recordings is to attempt to maximize my system in the hopes that I can get the most out of the recordings that I enjoy.

Unfortunately, it usually just points out how bad some of those recordings are. Doesn't stop me from listening to them though. Just means I'm more likely to listen to them in a non-critical listening manner.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #19 on: 5 May 2014, 02:15 pm »
I guess I'm not an audiophile. I'd rather listen to a scratchy reissue of Alberta Hunter or Sippie Wallace from the '20s and '30s, than a pristine recording by  Krall. It's about the music not the equipment or software. Krall bores me.    Yes, same for me :thumb:

Doc