Linked Events

• Lone Star Audio Fest 2012: 4 May 2012 - 6 May 2012

Lone Star Audio Fest 2012

Brad

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest 2012
« Reply #40 on: 7 May 2012, 02:34 am »
The OTL amp is a Transcendent T-16 (mildly modded)
It's a terrific match for the Superflys

I would have liked to hear it on the Manzanita speakers that John Bush was running.
(That was a huge 18" coax and it sounded quite good with the 5 watt OddWatt amp)

Not enough time.   Barely made it out of my room to see the others.  I had my good camera there and never even took it out of the bag....
I liked the Open Baffle that Bob Brines was demo'ing.

OzarkTom

« Reply #41 on: 7 May 2012, 02:43 am »
I am kicking myself for not going, maybe next year. That is a fun show to display your own system and be like one of the big boys.

sebrof

« Reply #42 on: 7 May 2012, 01:40 pm »
I am kicking myself for not going, maybe next year. That is a fun show to display your own system and be like one of the big boys.
That's true about LSAF. I really enjoyed Brad's room and a couple of other guys that were there doing pretty much the same thing. Sometimes you're in a room thinking "This sounds really good, I wonder how much this stuff costs." and then you realize it's just some dude with his personal rig. Last year there was a guy with modified Quad ESL57s that sounded really nice. He wasn't selling anything, just hanging and spinning records.

Brad - What did you need to do, just rent a room and set up? And how hard was it to get good sound in the hotel room? My fear is that I'd get there and my system would sound like ass.
I've thought about doing that - Kudos to Brad and guys like him who actually do.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #43 on: 7 May 2012, 02:49 pm »
Thanks to all who stopped by. Great meeting folks face to face at these events. Thought it was very cool. Rooms were small, but so are some living rooms.
That was a looong drive back (went to Houston on way in, wasn't as bad). Made it all the way back to FL, 2hrs from home, encountered only highway stopping wreck north of Gainsville...at 1am! :duh:
Oh well, plan to be back next year....and at least I can say I went to Bone Daddys :lol:.

cheers,

AJ

Brad

« Reply #44 on: 7 May 2012, 03:14 pm »
Yep - that's all you do - just rent a room and set up. $99/night and that includes happy hour/breakfast each day.
This was my 5th time to do this, so I was 'somewhat' prepared.
First time with the ZU speakers, and they moved 20-25 times Friday night and Saturday a.m. before getting close to the right spot.  :roll:
The OBs I used in prior years were a lot easier to place.

The hardest part this year was giving away the free beer.   :o   More people than usual were doing so and there was apparently a saturation point among my fellow beer drinkers.

I'd love to bring my turntable one year - just haven't worked up the nerve to do so....

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #45 on: 7 May 2012, 03:35 pm »
i see aj, you went to bone daddy's for the food :thumb: 

marvda1

« Reply #46 on: 7 May 2012, 03:47 pm »
make sure you bring a buddy or two so you can take turns seeing the show,

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #47 on: 7 May 2012, 03:49 pm »
Yep - that's all you do - just rent a room and set up. $99/night and that includes happy hour/breakfast each day.
Happy hour??? :duh:
Must have been during show hours!!

The hardest part this year was giving away the free beer.   :o   More people than usual were doing so and there was apparently a saturation point among my fellow beer drinkers.

I'd love to bring my turntable one year - just haven't worked up the nerve to do so....
There were some mighty fine homebrews on hand, thank you if I sampled one of yours!
Yes, I was scolded for not having analog also, although the thought of lugging a TT.... :o

i see aj, you went to bone daddy's for the food :thumb:
That's how Danny sold it to me. Oh yeah...and the Mavs game. Yeah,that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :icon_lol:

HT cOz

« Reply #48 on: 7 May 2012, 03:58 pm »
Do you guys remember which room had the small line arrays with CSS WR125ST drivers?

Thanks,
Robert

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #49 on: 7 May 2012, 04:06 pm »
Sometimes you're in a room thinking "This sounds really good, I wonder how much this stuff costs." and then you realize it's just some dude with his personal rig.
I've wondered why these guys never get any mention, or any photo's shown.
Because they're still using "____" brand speakers and "____" brand amps and "____" source components, etc....  :dunno:

Would be cool to see for those of us that can't make it.

Bob

Brad

« Reply #50 on: 7 May 2012, 04:36 pm »
After setting up my system in an unfamiliar room like LSAF, I have a LOT of respect for the guys that do this for a living.

I realize that hearing/seeing my personal system is not why people come to a show.  (Gee really Brad....)
When people come in, I try to introduce them to music they may not have heard before (and I always get new music to look for later from people who bring in their tunes). 
I explain my system and why I partnered the equipment together like I did (and what is different from previous years for the returning attendees).   I also try to have a wide variety of music available.

The downside of demonstrating a personal system is that you don't get to see a lot of the other rooms in the show (and there are always good rooms)

AJ - Happy hour was from 5:30-7:30 pm

RJR

« Reply #51 on: 7 May 2012, 05:07 pm »
Do you guys remember which room had the small line arrays with CSS WR125ST drivers?

Thanks,
Robert

Hi,

That was Stereo Clarity.

Bob

HT cOz

« Reply #52 on: 7 May 2012, 09:42 pm »
Hi,

That was Stereo Clarity.

Bob

I really liked that speaker!  :thumb:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #53 on: 8 May 2012, 12:59 am »
The downside of demonstrating a personal system is that you don't get to see a lot of the other rooms in the show (and there are always good rooms)
Agreed. I tried to sneak out once in a while, but didn't cover 1/4 of them. Plus, you miss happy hour!!! :o :duh: :lol:

AJ - Happy hour was from 5:30-7:30 pm
I'll have to start making the "Room closed 5:30p-7:30p" sign for next year :green:

sl_1800

« Reply #54 on: 8 May 2012, 02:39 am »
My first time as well at Bone Daddy's, that was a nice show indeed!!!

marvda1

« Reply #55 on: 8 May 2012, 02:54 am »
aj, all you had to do was give me your room key and i would have more than been happy to run us up gallons of free drinks :thumb:

Brad

« Reply #56 on: 8 May 2012, 02:58 am »
Funny how Marvda1 only posted his impressions of rooms where there were free beverages... :scratch:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #57 on: 8 May 2012, 03:06 am »
Hah, thanks Marvda and yes Brad, he's obviously a thinking man (or is that a drinking man?).
Between happy hour and the Inner Urban room, may not have much time for my room next year :lol:

p.s. still can't get over how big those Stats in room 224(?) were. They almost covered the whole wall :o. Thought they sounded good too...

ttan98

« Reply #58 on: 8 May 2012, 10:22 am »
Hah, thanks Marvda and yes Brad, he's obviously a thinking man (or is that a drinking man?).
Between happy hour and the Inner Urban room, may not have much time for my room next year :lol:

p.s. still can't get over how big those Stats in room 224(?) were. They almost covered the whole wall :o. Thought they sounded good too...

HI,

Steve Henry from PE Tech Forum thinks very highly of your speakers. Can you reveal here the brand of coincident driver you are using if possible the woofer as well? Thanks.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #59 on: 8 May 2012, 04:06 pm »
HI,

Steve Henry from PE Tech Forum thinks very highly of your speakers. Can you reveal here the brand of coincident driver you are using if possible the woofer as well? Thanks.

aj has mentioned this prior in other posts - kef coax and custom woofer from eD:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97955.msg985572#msg985572

doug s.