Re: Cartridge Database - what have you used/owned and your opinion of it

weirdo

Just the budget stuff but I'm always looking.

Current - AT 120 with 125 needle upgrade - I like this a lot. does not sound like a budget cartridge

I also have a Sumiko black Pearl which has good resolution and soundstage but muddy bass and AT 95E which is a good all-rounder but easily outclassed by the AT120   

Question:  If you had a reasonable turntable ( Sota  Comet or equivalent quality entry level unit for example ) and  you were going to budget maybe 300.00 for a cart, would you invest in one of the better MM carts from an all around good company like Audio Technica or go with an entry level MC cartridge from any one of a number of high-end cartridge vendors?  I know many factors apply, but for a point of reference, I have tube amplification and I listen mainly to classical music with a touch of blues/rock. Your advice appreciated. dk

toobluvr

Just the budget stuff but I'm always looking.

Current - AT 120 with 125 needle upgrade - I like this a lot. does not sound like a budget cartridge

I also have a Sumiko black Pearl which has good resolution and soundstage but muddy bass and AT 95E which is a good all-rounder but easily outclassed by the AT120   

Question:  If you had a reasonable turntable ( Sota  Comet or equivalent quality entry level unit for example ) and  you were going to budget maybe 300.00 for a cart, would you invest in one of the better MM carts from an all around good company like Audio Technica or go with an entry level MC cartridge from any one of a number of high-end cartridge vendors?  I know many factors apply, but for a point of reference, I have tube amplification and I listen mainly to classical music with a touch of blues/rock. Your advice appreciated. dk

My advice?

Shop carefully, buy used.   Obviously, you will get much more cartridge for your money compared to new.

For the most part, this hobby is comprised of honest and honorable folks....moreso than the general population,  IMHO.  But cartridges are delicate things and can be easily damaged, so you still need to ask the right questions and try to read the seller.  Trust your gut.  If he seems evasive and dodgey, walk away.  Get a feel for his system and how he treats it.  If abused and beat up, walk away.

If you can find a local seller...even better.  Show up with a 30x jewelers loupe.  Careful inspection of the stylus and cantilever will eliminate all risk.

I acquired two excellent sounding and excellent condition cartridges this way:  Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood and Dynavector 20X.   I paid $200 to $300 for each.  That's a discount of about 60-70% for low mileage cartridges!

I would not hesitate to do it again.....and again....and again.   I have bought much used gear, and never a bad experience.

On the MM vs MC issue....
I would not worry so much about that.  I would focus more on the cartridge output you need.  I need HO, so I use both MM and HOMC.   If you match things up right in terms of gain and loading, they are both very enjoyable.

Some folks actually prefer the more forgiving nature of MM (general statement) in a vinyl setup that is more modest / budget oriented.