Super 3 Series

Louis O

Super 3 Series
« on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:28 pm »
Hi All,

I would like to preview the new Super 3 series. The website now is being upgraded and this is a good time to talk about the new speakers that I have been working on for a while now.

The new RS5 OEM driver is now available and is exclusively used in the new Super 3 line. The new designs are Omegatuned to get the most out of the RS5 drivers.

The new Omega Super 3 series with RS5 drivers incorporate 2 new standmount speakers and an all new slim floorstander. The Super 3 XRS is staying and retuned.

With the combination of the RS5 driver and new cabinets, the super 3 series is better than ever. The balance is very linear throughout the frequency range. Bass and mid-bass is now lower and fuller, mid-range very even and top end is balanced more than ever before. All the speakers in the 3 series line are extremely fast and articulate have a much stronger foundation, see though transparency and a balance that is extremely even. Also I have increased the sensitivity, dynamics, and reduced the break-in times dramatically.

The Omega Super 3 series are not fussy at all with associated amplifiers whether Tube or Solid State. The increased sensitivity allows the use of very low powered amps.

Cabinets are designed and built in house and incorporate my use of multilayer wall construction. Baffles and backs are all 1” thick. The combination of Softwood MDF, Hardwood MDF, phenolic sheet and veneer are still used. Cabinets are post-formed and all edges are hand chamfered, filed and dressed. Magnetic grills are standard and all surfaced are veneered. I use flared ports, driver cutouts are eased on the inside edge, zinc inserts and brass machine screws to secure drivers and use heavy duty multi-way binding posts.

All Super 3 series speakers are built with proprietary drivers and cabinets all made in the U.S.A.

The Super 3 series speakers have a combination of wide baffle and good depth. The footprint is the same on all models except the XRS. The differences are heights.

Models include:

Super 3 T

Super 3 E

Super 3 S

Super 3 XRS

The Omega RS5 driver is so versatile that I will have variations and fun projects.

Pricing will be tiered and depends on finish. I put a lot of thought into the pricing and came up with a great plan. All the lines including the Hoyt-Bedford later on will use this plan.

Level one:
EKO Neutral Satin, EKO Neutral Gloss, and EKO Natural.

Level two:
Cherry and Walnut wood veneer.

Level three:
Zebrawood, Teak, Mahogany, Maple, Ebony wood veneer.

EKO neutral is a beautiful black/grey stripe laminate
EKO Natural is a sycamore medium brown with amazing texture and grain laminate

Pricing:

Super 3 T

Level one: EKO Neutral Satin, EKO Neutral Gloss or EKO Natural.
$495/pair

Level two:
Cherry or Walnut
$695/pair

Level three:
Inquire

Super 3 E

$695/pair

Level two:
Cherry or Walnut
$895/pair

Level three:
Inquire

Super 3 S

$995/pair

Level two:
Cherry or Walnut
$1250/pair

Level three:
Inquire

Super 3 XRS

$995/pair

Level two:
Cherry or Walnut
$1250/pair

Level three:
Inquire

Warranty 10 years parts and labor

Super 3 T Monitor Specifications

Sensitivity: 94dB at 8 ohms

Impedance: 8 ohms

Driver: Proprietary 4.5" RS5

Frequency Response: 60 - 20kHz

Dimensions    13"H x 9"W x 9.5"D

Recommended Stand Height: 24"

Weight    15 lbs. each

Power Requirement : as little as 2 watts

Cross-over: None

Warranty: 10 year parts and labor for workmanship and defects

Super 3 E Monitor Specifications

Frequency Response: 49 - 20kHz

Dimensions    18"H x 9"W x 9.5"D

Recommended Stand Height: 18-20"

Weight    28 lbs. each

Super 3 S Floor-Stand Specifications

Frequency Response: 38 - 20kHz

Dimensions    35"H x 9"W x 9.5"D

Recommended Stand Height: None

Weight    38 lbs. each

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Super 3 Series
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm »
Finally   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Glad to see so many cabinet options and the favorable pricing.

Any thoughts about doing a tour?

Any professional reviews planned?

What's the lead time like?

ejfud

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2012, 01:08 am »
More great looking speakers Louis.

Really interested in the new driver. Great efficency in a small package.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:20 am »
Cool to hear about the new speakers.

I am excited to get the new drivers in my Super 3 XRS cabinets...  8)

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2012, 07:16 pm »
Hi JLM,

Finally is right and they did take a while. I went through so many prototypes and configurations. In the end they worked out way better than I thought.

Thanks and I thought carefully about the line and the pricing schedule. It worked out great with the options. I also managed to streamline the manufacturing process and minimize material waste. This really helps me keep the costs down.

The lead times are about 2 weeks and I'm trying to keep cabinet shells in stock so the veneering process can get started sooner.

I would like to do the shows in the future. I'll have reviews lined up as well.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2012, 07:20 pm »
Hi ejfud,

Many thanks I'm very happy you like them.
The driver is very efficient and a big step up from the old one in every way. It's very high for a 4.5".

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2012, 07:22 pm »
Hi DaveC113,

Thanks and they are ready to go. The install is real easy and would take 5 to 10 minutes.

Your XRS's will be transformed.

Thanks,
Louis

ashok

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2012, 10:14 pm »
Hi Louis,

I see that the 3S and 3XRS cost the same. Could you please explain the differences between the two? Thanks.

Great line-up, and pricing! Perhaps in a few months, I will be able to spring for the 3S. I used to own the TS-1 monitors about 7 years ago and really enjoyed them.

Ashok

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2012, 10:42 pm »
Hi ashok.

Thanks and I debated discontinuing the XRS and thought more about it. I want to keep it in the line because of it's ability to extend deep in bass because of the XRS design especially in such a small cabinet. Also it's king in soundstaging and imaging. The Super 3 S does go a bit lower though.

Many thanks for your kind words and I worked very hard in keeping the prices as low as I could by reducing material waste and the ability to manufacture in house and using my OEM drivers.

The tiered pricing also helps.

Great to hear about the TS-1's and I would be happy to build you a set of Super 3 S's

Thanks again,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2012, 04:10 am »
My 16 year old son just received his Eko finished Super 3T's.  He is running them with a Firestone 8 w/ch Big Joe amp with Pure I-20 iPod dock with uncompressed AIFF files on his fourth generation Touch.  The sound is sublime, and his humble front end is about the lowest common denominator for a front end.  I am looking forward to hearing the 3T's with some of my Decware and Ideal Innovations amps and a heavier duty digital source.  The Super 3i was one of my favourite small speakers, and this model is the direct replacement. 

First impressions are: the Super 3T has a fuller midrange, better (and deeper) all around bass, and a more controlled top end than the 3i.  Soundstage is typical Omega: wide, deep, detailed, and speakers detached.  The tonal balance of the 3T is another thing that grabbed me - sounds like a bigger speaker.  Also, the speed seems to be the same as the 3i which was the fastest speaker I recall ever hearing.

I will also note my sons system is not set up in the best location (his bedroom) yet the sound is so good that the other family members are now drawn to that end of the house. 

The Eko finish, which is a high quality laminate is nothing short of stunning.  Five hundred bucks?  Somebody pinch me!

20q

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2012, 03:54 pm »
Can any of the bass ports be placed elsewhere? Is there a reason you put them specifically in the back?

Is the stick still availible? How does that compare to the 3T? 

Is the wiring any different than the hoyts?

markjv

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:04 am »
Louis -

Could you please post the specs (sensitivity/frequency/size/weight) for the Super 3 XRS?  Although they have been available for years, they are not listed on the Omega web site.

Also, when can we expect the new web site to be available?

Thanks,

Mark

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2012, 10:15 pm »
Hi markjv,

Thanks and sorry about the confusion. It all started with the Super 3 XRS and eventually turned into the Super 5 XRS with the hemp driver. Now I'm going back to the Super 3 XRS name with the new RS5 driver.

Specs are here: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/super5series#xrs

The changes are the new RS5 drivers, Re-tuned, longer grill, and now 3 cones instead of one for the tilt-back, and huge upgrade in sound. They are now 94-95 dB sensitive and top end extends to 20K.

Super 3 XRS Cherry

Super 3 XRS Cherry

Super 3 XRS Cherry

The new website is great and should be up by Monday.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2012, 10:22 pm »
Hi 20q,

Many thanks and wiring is similar to the Hoyt's.

The Stick is no longer available, but they are the design the led me to the Super 3 S. The S does have more volume and is an upgrade and is a better speaker. The Stick is more closely related to the 3 S.

I designed both the cabinets and drivers for the entire line and found the best place for the port would be the rear on the 3 series. All models are very fast and close to wall placements are very easy. As I make all the speakers in house I can put them on the front as a custom build.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2012, 10:27 pm »
Hi Canada Rob,

Many thanks for the great post and your impressions of the Super 3 T. I'm so happy your son is happy with the sound. Really like the rig and I have the Big Joe amp too. The combo is really good. Can't wait to hear how they do with the Decware amp.

The EKO is really nice looking and gives me the ability to have a great starting point with price. I'll do my best to keep the price the same for as long as I can.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2012, 03:21 am »
Louis -

Could you please post the specs (sensitivity/frequency/size/weight) for the Super 3 XRS?  Although they have been available for years, they are not listed on the Omega web site.

Also, when can we expect the new web site to be available?

Thanks,

Mark
The new website is up as of today.  All necessary information should be on it.

Nocturne79

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2012, 01:01 pm »
I love the new website, looks very nice

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2012, 07:31 pm »
Hi Nocturne79,

Many thanks and it took a while. Canada Rob did a fantastic job building it. Very happy you like it.

Thanks,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:44 am »
My 16 year old son just received his Eko finished Super 3T's.  He is running them with a Firestone 8 w/ch Big Joe amp with Pure I-20 iPod dock with uncompressed AIFF files on his fourth generation Touch.  The sound is sublime, and his humble front end is about the lowest common denominator for a front end.  I am looking forward to hearing the 3T's with some of my Decware and Ideal Innovations amps and a heavier duty digital source.  The Super 3i was one of my favourite small speakers, and this model is the direct replacement. 

First impressions are: the Super 3T has a fuller midrange, better (and deeper) all around bass, and a more controlled top end than the 3i.  Soundstage is typical Omega: wide, deep, detailed, and speakers detached.  The tonal balance of the 3T is another thing that grabbed me - sounds like a bigger speaker.  Also, the speed seems to be the same as the 3i which was the fastest speaker I recall ever hearing.

I will also note my sons system is not set up in the best location (his bedroom) yet the sound is so good that the other family members are now drawn to that end of the house. 

The Eko finish, which is a high quality laminate is nothing short of stunning.  Five hundred bucks?  Somebody pinch me!
I finally got a chance to try the Super 3T's on one of my front ends which is a 2 w/ch Decware SET, Audio Sector NOS DAC, and MacBook with Pure Music, in a much bigger room (13'W x 24'L x 9'H) shooting across one end.  All I can say is that it's not the same speaker with this front end (not that my son's sounds bad; it sounds incredibly good).  Never have I heard a small speaker sound so big, and the tonal balance so right.  The Super 3T is a clear portal if I ever heard one, that gives a focused view of what equipment is up line of it.  Everything an experienced ear (and an inexperienced ear) is looking for is there, and please forgive me if I use the overused audiophile terms, but the following are my first impressions of this speaker:

1) Huge 3D, focused soundstage.
2) PRAT in spades 
3) Lightning speed.
4) Tonal balance with no "small speaker" sound.
5) Full "big speaker bass", such that they do not cry for a sub like so many small speakers do.
6) Very efficient.  2 watts makes these speakers really sing.
7) Versatile as far as front end goes.

Omega speakers have been my hands down favourite since I first heard them (no matter what model), but if the Super 3T is any indicator of the sound of this new line, Louis has taken things to a whole new level.  I am looking forward to trying the Super 3T on the desktop.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2012, 06:02 am by Canada Rob »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2012, 07:19 pm »
A pair of Super 3XRS's arrived on Oct 31 and the next day the new 2 w/ch Decware Super Zen with V-Caps and stepped attenuator arrived.  Right out of the box this combo is insanely good.  I have never heard a soundstage so huge, and with such micro detail.  I am hearing things in my music I have never heard before, not to mention a bottom end that sounds like a sub is in the system.

There is an effortlessness to the sound such that the brain can relax and just enjoy.  One does not have try to imagine things in the soundstage.  They are there in clear holographic focus.  This system presents space like none I remember hearing.

The other thing I love about these little towers is their look.  The back tilt sets them apart from the majority of towers out there.
The look of the Super 3XRS tends to break up the perpendicular nature of typical room decor, giving the room greater visual life.
Also the look of the 3XRS says: "I have a purpose beyond being a beautiful piece of furniture".

The old Super 5XRS had a cone and two pads on the bottom necessitating the use of a spiked platform if one had carpet, but now there are three nice pointy spikes on the bottom that go right through carpet and underlay and anchor well to the floor underneath.