Tekton SEAS Pendragons/ MMMmicroOnes/Vapor Cirrus

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Tekton SEAS Pendragons/ MMMmicroOnes/Vapor Cirrus
« Reply #20 on: 8 Sep 2013, 12:55 am »
How is the soundstaging on the Cirrus? Is it deep and wide? Would it trick someone to thinking the listener is at the middle of a concert hall when called for? Thanks.

That is where the Cirrus is head and shoulders over most speakers.  It throws a huge soundstage that extends well beyond the speakers. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 8 Sep 2013, 05:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I didnt think the room dimensions were important so I just said it off the top of my head. The actual dimentions are 13 x 13.6 x 9.5.

I have a door that leads to the kitechen, and double french doors at the back that I can keep open as well.

How is the soundstaging on the Cirrus? Is it deep and wide? Would it trick someone to thinking the listener is at the middle of a concert hall when called for? Thanks.

Yes, square rooms can have serious axial and tangential modes ... but being able to open some French doors will certainly help with that.  Honestly, I don't have any reason to think a Cirrus wouldn't perform beautifully in that space.  We've put them in 'worse' rooms with great result.  Part of why they work well in problem rooms is the Extended Bass Shelf tuning, it just doesn't turn boomy/thick/muddy as flat bass tunings often do in rooms. 

Imaging with the Cirrus really is amazing, as good as anything at any price.  The things you need for incredible imaging are a completely dead cabinet, no cabinet edge diffraction, tight left/right channel matching, and a balanced in-room response.  The Cirrus has all those things in spaded.

LOL I never knew you used to work for Stereomojo Ryan. Very interesting!!! Love reading Stereomojo stuff.

Yeah, it was fun writing for them.  I probably would still be doing it if not for my ties with Arte Forma and BMC, too many conflicts of interest. 

mav52

« Reply #22 on: 8 Sep 2013, 07:15 pm »
I am currently torn between the 3 speakers. Did anyone have the chance to hear all 3? What would you recommend?

Gonna run it with OPPO 93 => Monarchy DIP Upsampler => Nad M51 => Job 225 w/ Audioquest cables.

thanks!

What I thought you already ordered your speakers more than once..   Audioholics http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/86296-tekton-enzo-most-inexpensive-speakers-league-high-end-speaker.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 8 Sep 2013, 07:35 pm »
First off, my opinions are just my opinions ... and obviously I'm biased.  But I have to assume that by asking here, you're hoping to hear my opinion. 

The Cirrus had a very simple goal, to be the best 2-way monitor possible.  We use the AudioTech C-Quenze woofer which we think is the best on the planet, the RAAL tweeter which is also the best, and put it all in the best cabinet we know how to build ... and with the best crossover components, and years of voicing.  We thought of everything with that design, and it shows in the result.  In a properly setup room they will completely disappear and give a seamless wall to wall soundstage.  They're incredibly articulate and resolving, but never cross the line to harsh or fatiguing at all - they should you everything in a recording but without any edge.  One of the Cirrus' unique capabilities is, based on your mood, they can either excite you or relax you. 

I've heard the MicroOnes a few times now at shows, on different setups and different rooms.  I don't know what they're selling for now, but at their $2500/pair price they were a good buy.  They do image well and have excellent low level detail retrieval.  In a lot of ways they're a very good speaker.  But they are a bit edgy and cold for my taste, but that could be worked out somewhat with equipment pairing.  Their AMT tweeter just isn't as good as the RAAL, it's good but not RAAL good ... some hash can creep in on more complex material, and at higher volumes.  With the RAAL that just doesn't happen.  And I felt the bass was a bit chuffy and one note, not much tonal density to the bass and makes everything from 40-80hz sound the same basically.  I'd imagine with a high pass filter cutting off below 80hz and a pair of subs, the MicroOnes could make for a great setup.  BTW, the MicroOnes are just a basic MDF box with a laminate stuck on the outside that looks like stacked ply.  The Cirrus is real stacked 13-layer Baltic Birch ply, no MDF anywhere. 

The Seas Pendragon isn't going to be in the same league in terms of detail retrieval, transparency, soundstaging, articulation, etc.  I haven't heard them, but what drivers you use essentially set a hard ceiling for a speakers performance capabilities.  Your job as the designer is to get 100% out of the drivers through cabinet and crossover design.  And those drivers just aren't capable of the same level of performance as the Cirrus (or even MicroOne) drivers.  Add to it very resonant cabinetry and you have a speaker that will probably do good at sounding big, but only average at everything else.  Also Tekton has quickly established a reputation for taking liberties with their specifications, they aren't 95db .... and don't go flat to 30hz, no matter what they say.  That size cabinet (~2.6cu/ft), and those woofers will have an F3 of 44hz, and a pair in parallel with some baffle step compensation will be 92db sensitive at best. 

Like I said, those are just my opinions.  The Tekton approach is not my cup of tea at all, low resolution drivers in a big honky box.  The MicroOnes are better, but honestly are more competition for our Stiff Breeze and not the Cirrus.

As a lover of 'good' single driver speakers I give that comment a big +1  :thumb:

And I'm a believer in speaker cabinets that don't add a sound of their own (via vibration or shape).  IMO any speaker cabinet the size of the Pendragons would have to weight close to 200 pounds to not vibrate.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #24 on: 8 Sep 2013, 08:33 pm »
What I thought you already ordered your speakers more than once..   Audioholics http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/86296-tekton-enzo-most-inexpensive-speakers-league-high-end-speaker.html

Well that thread is telling - started by SearchofSub with a similar query, goes on for 90 pages in 5 weeks, is locked and SOS is banned.

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 8 Sep 2013, 08:37 pm »
[/quote

Just shopping around. I honestly started posting just to troll there at one point. They wholeheardedly believe that amps and pre amps and dac's dont make a difference which in mind is as stupid as it gets. Anyway, when I first began posting there it was more for home theatre and movies, but in midst of all that I started to become more of a music lover so circumstances changed alot from the initial post... Just didnt care to explain there because I was trolling most of the time.

Anyway, Ryan thanks for the comment!

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 8 Sep 2013, 08:38 pm »
Just shopping around. I honestly started posting just to troll there at one point. They wholeheardedly believe that amps and pre amps and dac's dont make a difference which in mind is as stupid as it gets. Anyway, when I first began posting there it was more for home theatre and movies, but in midst of all that I started to become more of a music lover so circumstances changed alot from the initial post... Just didnt care to explain there because I was trolling most of the time.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #27 on: 8 Sep 2013, 10:54 pm »
Whatever trouble you stirred up on Audioholics, I'd suggest keeping your nose clean here ... you'll get the boot quickly if you don't. 

If you're ever in the St Louis area let me know, be glad to have you over for a listen in our showroom.

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 8 Sep 2013, 10:59 pm »
Yep. I highly doubt I will be around St. Louis but If i ever do, I will contact you! One more question, do you guys have a 30 day money back gurantee?

persisting1

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2013, 05:39 am »
I honestly started posting just to troll there at one point.

:sad:

mav52

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2013, 07:08 pm »
Just shopping around. I honestly started posting just to troll there at one point.

Well you pretty much lost your credibility for that admission

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2013, 09:02 pm »
I removed my post but to lie to a whole forum........and it served no purpose other than to lie!   :wtf:
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2013, 02:39 pm by playntheblues »

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 9 Sep 2013, 09:37 pm »
That forum and AVSForum wholheardedly believe that amps and pre-amps and dacs and cables don't make a difference to sound. I repeadedly told them that it does, then they decided to troll. So oh well.

I just think I chose a wrong forum to talk about audio. Anyway, not here to troll!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #33 on: 9 Sep 2013, 09:39 pm »
Guys, I bet most of us have trolled somewhere at some point ... just messing with people to get a rise out of them.  I know I did plenty in my younger years, so let's not get all judgmental. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2013, 02:33 am »
Guys, I bet most of us have trolled somewhere at some point ... just messing with people to get a rise out of them.  I know I did plenty in my younger years, so let's not get all judgmental.

"Rick, I'm shocked, just shocked to find gambling in this establishment!" 

fuzz092888

« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2013, 01:25 pm »

Probably not like this guy did.  I don't recommend reading the thread, but if you did you would find that he ignored good advice from multiple members, posted highly subjective opinions as fact, claimed to be able to hear differences in speakers and amplifiers via youtube videos, threatened others with physical violence, claimed to have ordered two (three?) different Tekton speakers as well as quite a few different components each time saying he canceled the order.

He was trolled because others felt he was trolling.  If he had ordered something..........anything it would have at least granted him some credibility.  I would at least be wary.

standub

« Reply #36 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:24 am »
I've only heard the MMMircoOnes and the Cirrus, and well I now own the Cirrus for what that's worth.  I MMM are nice they just seem very limited, I think loud and low (and I really only mean like 120hz) would be impossible for them to pull off, also the tweeter is just ok.  Disclaimer, I'VE NEVER HEARD THE TEKTON, however the driver layout looks like a sonic nightmare.

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 11 Sep 2013, 05:18 am »
Yep, I'm gonna order the Cirrus today... there are some good deals on the MMMicroOnes right now that are used but since I'm gonna be keeping the speakers for a very long time I think I'm gonna settle on the Cirrus.

Spoke to Ryan over the phone yesterday and very cool guy.  :D

wisnon

« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2013, 06:11 am »
I've only heard the MMMircoOnes and the Cirrus, and well I now own the Cirrus for what that's worth.  I MMM are nice they just seem very limited, I think loud and low (and I really only mean like 120hz) would be impossible for them to pull off, also the tweeter is just ok.  Disclaimer, I'VE NEVER HEARD THE TEKTON, however the driver layout looks like a sonic nightmare.
What???

The thing does and honest to goodness 40hz and that is  solid Heil tweeter.
Never heard the reputed Cirrus which could be better, but dont disparage the Micros unfairly!

standub

« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2013, 01:41 pm »
What???

The thing does and honest to goodness 40hz and that is  solid Heil tweeter.
Never heard the reputed Cirrus which could be better, but dont disparage the Micros unfairly!

I am going off what I saw and heard of the Micros, which I've listen to twice.  One of the times they turned them up, not uber loud but enough, and those woofers were moving quite a bit.  That gives me a no so warm fuzzy feeling about turning them up even more.  I will admit for $2500 you could do much much worse than the Micros, however they do seem to have limitation IMHO.  And yes I realize the Cirrus are $1500 more, but I feel the added upgrades in the Cirrus are very much worth it.

The Heil tweeter is a good tweeter but the Raal and from the looks of it the Vifa/Scan Speak ring radiator on the Tekton are better, again IMHO.