Twin Triple OB

tom739

Re: Twin Triple OB
« Reply #20 on: 12 Sep 2020, 09:30 pm »
Hi all,
I see on this build, all 3 woofers face the same way. What is the consensus on how the woofers face? Or does not matter, do what you like? I want to go with a 2x12 sub, with both facing forward.

Thanks,
Tom

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 12 Sep 2020, 09:33 pm »
Having at least one sub facing backwards helps reduce some minor distortion and keeps the towers center of gravity over the center, but the differences sonically is pretty minor.
Most people prefer the look and sound having them all facing forward

soundofrockets

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2020, 03:06 am »
I am told by Danny and Capt Jay - no issues sonically if all woofers facing forward.  Additionally, Capt Jay very confident with regards to any gravity or concerns about tipping over.

Once all the woofers are mounted - they have solid weight and do not tip over.  Plus they are suppose to be sitting/standing somewhere in the corner of the room with very little traffic.  Now if you want to prove a point and make them tip over - that’s another story.

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2020, 04:35 am »
Once all the woofers are mounted - they have solid weight and do not tip over.  Plus they are suppose to be sitting/standing somewhere in the corner of the room with very little traffic.

OB subs are different -- they sound better away from corners and room boundaries and close to the speakers. Consider yourself fortunate. Most people don't have the real estate for twin triples. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2020, 05:19 am »
Close to the speakers will be a challenge as I have the LS 9 and LS center for front mains - does leave much space for anything else.  I can place them next to the mains but it would seriously compromise the screen size for HT use. 

Any advantage of using side walls vs the back walls?  One advantage for back wall is nobody goes in the area - that pretty much eliminates accidental tipping over by tipsy guests!!😁

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 13 Sep 2020, 03:23 pm »
Close to the speakers will be a challenge as I have the LS 9 and LS center for front mains - does leave much space for anything else.  I can place them next to the mains but it would seriously compromise the screen size for HT use. 

Any advantage of using side walls vs the back walls?  One advantage for back wall is nobody goes in the area - that pretty much eliminates accidental tipping over by tipsy guests!!😁

The subs can be close to side walls but need to be at least 3ft away from the wall behind them. The LS9s play low enough that the crossover to the subs will be pretty low. That means the subs can be farther from the speakers and still blend well.

soundofrockets

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2020, 07:45 pm »
3 feet away from back and side walls will be a huge challenge!!. 

Can I place them horizontally?

Early B.

« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2020, 08:01 pm »
3 feet away from back and side walls will be a huge challenge!!. 

Can I place them horizontally?

Good idea. Try it. They may sound better horizontally than in a corner.

BTW -- I have three dual OB subs. One of them is placed horizontally. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2020, 08:22 pm »
I will try them horizontally - and try to keep them close to the front mains.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2020, 10:47 pm »
You can place OB subs close to the side walls but not close to the front wall.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 14 Sep 2020, 04:37 pm »
I will try them horizontally - and try to keep them close to the front mains.

Wish we'd known about this ,  the tops on those  are smaller than the bases  (.75"  over hang vs  1.5"  overhang) so they'll  sit / lie  cocked on the floor.    Also, as we discussed prior to shipping,   the  bottom faces    have overspray on them,  you'll want to  grab  a small can  of Duratex  and re-roll them if  you  plan  to leave them  horizontal.

As mentioned above,  if you  can get them  3' off the  rear  wall  they will  work  well  even  if up close to sidewalls.  Inegrating  with mains  even at  distance with those  low frequencies should  not  be  an issue

jay

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2020, 04:42 pm »
Sunil -

It's been awhile and I'm not sure if your setup is the same...

Dug out some pictures from one of the GTG's and it seems like the MFW's were placed just outside of the LS 9's. Any chance you could put the Trips there and put the Subs back further/behind the triples? Would keep the OB's further from the front wall. The subs might pick up some boost from being closer to the corners and you could dial them back a bit. Give the OB's more breathing room and sound better.

:scratch:

Early B.

« Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2020, 06:08 pm »
Wish we'd known about this ,  the tops on those  are smaller than the bases  (.75"  over hang vs  1.5"  overhang) so they'll  sit / lie  cocked on the floor.    Also, as we discussed prior to shipping,   the  bottom faces    have overspray on them,  you'll want to  grab  a small can  of Duratex  and re-roll them if  you  plan  to leave them  horizontal.

Yep. It's not a triple, but my OB sub doesn't lie flush on the floor and I painted the bottom of the base. Not a big deal, though. Generally, I think it sounds slightly better sitting up. There's something unique about woofers high in the air, and I'll bet triples are impressive in that regard. But, given space constraints, you gotta do what it takes.

soundofrockets

« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2020, 02:11 am »
Sunil -

It's been awhile and I'm not sure if your setup is the same...

Dug out some pictures from one of the GTG's and it seems like the MFW's were placed just outside of the LS 9's. Any chance you could put the Trips there and put the Subs back further/behind the triples? Would keep the OB's further from the front wall. The subs might pick up some boost from being closer to the corners and you could dial them back a bit. Give the OB's more breathing room and sound better.

:scratch:

Hi John - the MFW 15 were much shorter in height and yes they were placed next to the LS9s - but now the MFWz are non functional with dead amps - I tried to replace them through Seaton Sound - got into another type of jam with that. 

Coming back to the Twin Triples - I would definitely like them to be upright - preferably with front mains.  I will be experimenting with placements.

soundofrockets

« Reply #34 on: 15 Sep 2020, 02:15 am »
Yep. It's not a triple, but my OB sub doesn't lie flush on the floor and I painted the bottom of the base. Not a big deal, though. Generally, I think it sounds slightly better sitting up. There's something unique about woofers high in the air, and I'll bet triples are impressive in that regard. But, given space constraints, you gotta do what it takes.

This can be done - but perhaps at an angle - with the Twins making tip of the sides of the triangle and the front wall as the base.

I may have to relocate the Rogue Apollos🤔 - but where?