A 3-way design/build journal.

Christof

A 3-way design/build journal.
« on: 26 Feb 2007, 10:34 pm »
I'm in the very beginning process of building another pair of Ricks speakers and I started thinking that it might be of help to those of you who are thinking about or planning to build a Selah kit if I post a design/build journal or blog, if you would call it that.  I'll try to keep it succinct but please be patient with my casual stream-of-consciousness style of writing.

I posted in Ricks circle a while back asking for input on a 3-way design.  I trust Ricks judgement 100% but handing Rick a sum of money for a ready made kit was too easy.  I wanted to get a little input from other folks here and throw Rick a curveball.  Driver selection turned into a bit of a learning experience for me, and hopefully for any of those who followed the thread.  Bryan, one of Ricks dealers, was very helpful in driver selection, infact Bryan just about called the driver lineup that will be used in this design.  We have spoken quite a bit over the past couple years so Bryan had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for, his input was valuable. 

There were many factors which went into the driver selection, including my massive room size 45' L x 22' W x 14' H, my favorite music style which is mostly acoustic with a mix of alt/modern rock & Latin, a budget of $2k for parts and most importantly Ricks willingness to take on the commission with the somewhat random heap of drivers I specified.  I should note that one reason I keep going back to Selah is because of Ricks willingness to adapt a design or invent a design based on my individual needs.  I liken the service of Selah to what I think of as an exceptional dining experience where the chef is willing to do a tasting menu based on my personal preferences.

The drivers:

Bass:  Seas L26  2ea.
Mids:  Seas w15 Nextel 2ea
Tweet: Scan Speak 6600 AirCirc

The test drivers are slowly trickling into Ricks shop so it will be a short while until Rick gets into his "mad scientist" mode. So, for now I'm left to decide on cabinet design. I should preface by telling you that I own and operate a small/medium sized woodshop and I will be building the cabinets in-house. I will, for the most part, use equipment that is not beyond the scope of most hobby woodworkers.  I must warn everyone that have a taste for modern design, more specifically BAUHAUS STYLE and these cabinets will reflect it.  These will not be your typical "box".

This thread could go on for quite some time as this is going to be a rather casual project for both Rick and I.  To help keep the length of this thread from getting out of hand I kindly ask that general questions not be posted here.  I will gladly answer questions regarding the build process through PM and Rick, I'm sure, will happily answer any design specific questions in a new thread or PM.  Rather than add more posts to this thread I will continue to modify this post with new information

Thanks
-c.

More to come....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/27/07

Enclosure design is underway.  Because I chose to have Rick design this speaker with front firing L26 Bass drivers vs. sidefiring,  I am pretty much forced to build two enclosures, an upper and lower, per channel.  There are solutions for single cabinet designs, such as Rick and Bryan did with the RC5 but this approach is a bit monolithic for this project. 

Rick has given me rough baffle width specifications of 8" for the top enclosure (mtm) and 12" for the lower bass enclsure (ww).    Volume, which will have a little bearing on the height of the enclosure and much to do with the depth, is yet to be established. for the time being I am working on the "facade" of the enclosure.  My inspiration for the facade is based loosly on a CHAIR called the Wassily chair by Marcel Breuer.  The enclosures themselves will lack sharp corners and will visually have a curved, flowing appearance.  My aim is to get away from the sort of monolithic or stacked shoe box look that is conducive to this type of 3-way design.

To soften to look and emphasize line,  I will use large radius horizontal lines. I would like to use 2" radius edges on the upper cabinet and 3" radius on the lower cabinet, again these are the horizontal edges I'm talking about.  To accomplish this I can build a square edged box and use a router table or shaper and round the horizontal edges but frankly I don't have bits large enough to do the job.  So I will use preformed corners which are readily available.

If the upper enclosure was tipped on it's side it would resemble this...sort of :scratch::

This is about as far as I can go without knowing the internal volume and ultimately height & depth of the two enclosures.

------------------------------------------------------

Found two sources for bent plywood aka quarter cylinders to make the horizontal edges AIT and Tape Ease  This should be a heck of a lot easier that making my own bent laminations.

Update 3/6/07

Still patiently waiting on the new Aircirc ss6600 tweeters to roll in at Madisound.

Updated 4/3/07

Experimenting in my shop with high pressure laminates trying to get the laminate to bend around a 3" radius with causing any stress cracks or craze.  I've found a great laminate called MicroDot by Formica but not sure how to bend it yet.  I first saw this stuff used as the top surface on a very expensive custom table on one of my jobsites...to think is just Formica :lol:

If I can get it to bend easily I will use MicroDot with solid fronts and backs.

Kicking around some ideas....
Black Microdot with Maple or American Black Cherry baffles
White Microdot with Walnut baffles

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 4/11

Box volume for the dual L26 drivers is going to be just short of 4ft^3.  This is going to be a petty big box but not too bad to deal with, the big rounded corners might help out a bit from a visual standpoint. 

I ordered a 4x8 sheet of MicroDot in both "White" and "Steel" colors.  I also ordered a new color called "Oxygen" but it is back ordered for quite a while.  This stuff is priced abou tthe same as a moderately priced wood veneer.  I'm not too far from building boxes as Rick is pulling the design together quite nicely.

------------------------------------------
Update 4/20

Laminate sheets came in today.  While this stuff looks nothing like a traditional countertop laminate and infact is a bit more expensive than the normal laminates but for this applocation I believe the price is justified.  Rick and I were in contact regarding final box volumes and baffle dimensions today.  Once he OK's my specs, and feels comfortable with the test boxes I'm good to begin building :thumb:.  I will begin posting photos in the very near future to show the build process.

Update 4/23

Still trying to get the MicroDot Formica wrapped around a 2" radius corner.  This stuff is very think and meant for horizontal applications, to my knowledge it's not sold in a V32 grade for forming.  I'm having a hell of a time but it's too cool to give up..... :evil:

Update 4/24

Rick gave me the go ahead on the cabinet dimensions.  Spent the day in my shop cutting boxes.  I was able to bend MDF on a 2" radius without trouble so I didn't need to use the preformed radius corners that I mentioned earlier.   Figured out the key to get the MicroDot to bend is heat evenly to 315*  I shot a heap of pics in the shop today but I cannot locate the cord to my camera :duh:.  I will post all the pics ASAP.   In the meantime there is a good little bit on bending MDF with pics here

-------------------------------------------

Update 4/26

Still no camera cord...I'll grab a card reader tonight.  The pics from yesteday are not pretty......

I've seen lots of references to bend MDF with kerf cuts.  Did you fill in the voids left in the kerfs with anything after the bend?

Yes, I fill the voids with epoxy/mdf dust (as a thickner) before bending and then wipe off any excess that gets pushed out of the kerfs.  I tried to bend the entire speaker cabinet when it was prelaminated with the MicroDot and it gave out....broke in a few placeson the bent corners and I went ahead and broke it in a few more out of frustration :evil:

I think you must first bend the mdf into shape, allow it to dry and then apply your outer layer, whatever that moght be...formica, veneer, paint, etc.  I actually thought this from the beginning but I wanted too badly for this to be a "piece of cake", one-step operation, which it isn't.  The shear strength of the contact cement (if using Formica) or rigid glueline (veneer) is too great and doesn't allow "slip" to happen on the outside of the bend.  Back to the drawing board....another cabinet in the garbage. 

--------------------------------------------
Ran out of room, can't continue to add to this post so I continued this on page 4....added pics
« Last Edit: 2 May 2007, 08:21 pm by Christof »

Bingenito

Re: A 3-way design/build journal.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2007, 11:47 pm »
Great idea. I look forward to reading about the project and hope to see some cool pics!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2007, 12:27 am »
Looking forward to it.  Considering throwing Rick a curveball myself at some point in the future.  Right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the SSR's even while they're breaking in.

Bryan

DSK

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2007, 12:56 am »
Looking forward to it.  Considering throwing Rick a curveball myself at some point in the future.  Right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the SSR's even while they're breaking in.

Bryan
Hey Bryan, did you go sealed or ported... pre-assembled or DIY .... Deluxe XO version?
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2007, 01:28 am by DSK »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2007, 01:20 am »
I'm auditioning a set Rick was nice enough to send me for review and to have for our local group.  They're ported and with the Deluxe XO.

Bryan

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2007, 12:41 am »
Updated 2/27......

Bingenito

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:00 am »
Now why do you have to go get all artistic on us?  :wink:

ryno

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:42 am »
I like the big roundovers.
Saw these at rockler last weekend.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=10569&TabSelect=Details
Ryan

Christof

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2007, 03:24 am »
Now why do you have to go get all artistic on us?  :wink:

Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without it. :wink:

Bingenito

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2007, 04:08 am »
See now you shift from being artistic with wood to doing so with words... Where will it end  :P :lol: :wink:

BTW are those speakers done yet? We are guys, just give us the pics already.

Christof

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:46 pm »
 Bryan........

:scratch: :dunno:....... :wink:

LadyDog

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:47 pm »
Going to be very nice Chris.  I was going to suggest along with the Gamut cabinet design we discussed, a more rounded back like an Usher 10 look.  Believe Rick has also done something like this with some of his XT8's.  Anyway, guess great minds think a like.   :wink:

Looking forward to how things progress.

LadyDog

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:50 pm »
Chris,
Forgot to ask, still leaning toward a bamboo?  Or has that changed with the design?  Thanks.

Regards,
J

Christof

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:53 pm »
Chris,
Forgot to ask, still leaning toward a bamboo?  Or has that changed with the design?  Thanks.

Regards,
J

Time will tell.

Bingenito

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2007, 08:55 pm »
Hey Chris, thanks for the pics man. I like the second one best.

On a somewhat serious note I am really looking forward to construction photos. Just because you are a pro and you do not see projects done by furniture makers on a daily basis.

As for finish if I was using those drivers (Silver and black combo) I would go with something darker than Maple for sure to make the drivers stand out. I always like contrasting woods. It just seems to make the design more interesting to look at. Was it you that mentioned Secca Spruce and Koa at one point? IMO that would be an amazing speaker with the large roundovers it would look like an acoustic guitar :D

jono2channel

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2007, 12:55 am »
Hi all...and Chris....and Rick

I was wondering if this plan could be easily made into a W-M-T-M-W or if there would need to be crossover modifications. One of the reasons for my interest is that I am looking for a great 3-way, and I can hardly wait to hear your thoughts on this one.

Jon :D

Christof

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2007, 01:03 am »
Jon

I'm sure rick could make the necessary changes to the XO if any are needed.  Shoot him Private Msg and he will give you some details.

c.

jcake5

Chirs,

Is that a James Krenov inspired "hand made by you" hand plane we see under your name?  The fun part of woodworking is making working tools to use on your own projects.

Regards,
Eric K.

Christof

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2007, 02:35 am »
Eric

No, I cannot take credit for that plane.  I do own a plane that JK used in his shop for some time, not as fancy as the avitar but it cuts like no other plane I've used and has a sort of imperfect beauty about it.  If I ever locate my cord to download from my camera to computer I will post a picture for you.

-c.

jono2channel

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2007, 05:08 am »
Hey Christof

Any pics of cabinet build yet? Any word on Ricks "mad scientist" efforts? Really interested in this build. :thumb: