(Temporarily) Sealing Ported Loudspeakers

c_note

(Temporarily) Sealing Ported Loudspeakers
« on: 26 Oct 2012, 03:21 am »
Hi, I'm the lucky owner of a set of Selah RC5G speakers, which I recently chose to augment with a pair of powered subwoofers (I live in a loft whose main listening room is about 12,000 cubic feet, otherwise these excellent speakers would certainly not need any bass enhancement!)  My question is, what is the best way to (temporarily) seal the speaker's port to "convert" them into "sealed" speakers?  I've read in numerous places that sealed speakers better integrate with subwoofers, reducing the speakers' deep bass output while also creating a shallow roll-off to improve integration.  I say "temporarily" because I don't want to do anything that cannot be reversed, damages the speaker, or decreases their re-sale value.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: (Temporarily) Sealing Ported Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2012, 03:24 am »
Socks.  Big athletic ones for large ports, dress socks for smallish ports, but yes, socks.  Rolled up and turned over just like in your drawer.  Stuff 'em right in the port, very effective and oh so temporary.

navin

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2012, 05:08 am »
Socks.  Big athletic ones for large ports, dress socks for smallish ports, but yes, socks. 

Absolutely the best thing. I agree. With 12,000 cu ft you gonna need some real woofers. 4 x 15″ TC Sounds LMS-R each driven by a 500W plate amp should work.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2012, 06:58 pm »
I trim pieces of open cel foam to push vented alignments towards aperiodic and closed cel foam to push them toward sealed.

Tidier & more consistant then socks.

dave