Vista- yay or nay?

Levi

Re: Vista- yay or nay?
« Reply #60 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:10 am »
This is how my computer looks like.

boead

« Reply #61 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:11 am »
To change the behavior of the prompt for consent use the following procedure to change the elevation prompt behavior for UAC.

Note:
To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client
computer as a local administrator.

To change the elevation prompt behavior
Click Start, click Accessories, click All Programs, click Run, type
secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.

If UAC is currently configured to prompt for consent, the Windows Security
dialog box will appear. Click Allow.

From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and
then Security Options.

Scroll down to and double-click User Account Control: Behavior of the
elevation prompt for administrators or User Account Control: Behavior of the
elevation prompt for standard users.

From the drop-down menu, select one of the following settings:

No prompt

Prompt for credentials (this setting requires user name and password input
before an application or task will run as elevated)

Prompt for consent (this is the default setting for administrators only,
this setting is available for administrators only)

Also, if you run into problems with certain websites do this; change your network adapter configuration.
Set IPv4 Checksum, TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4 & IPv6) & UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4 & IPv6) all to DISABLED.

Levi

« Reply #62 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:23 am »
I was just venting on the UAC.  Thanks anyway.

My Computer.

To change the behavior of the prompt for consent use the following procedure to change the elevation prompt behavior for UAC.

Note:
To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client
computer as a local administrator.

To change the elevation prompt behavior
Click Start, click Accessories, click All Programs, click Run, type
secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.

If UAC is currently configured to prompt for consent, the Windows Security
dialog box will appear. Click Allow.

From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and
then Security Options.

Scroll down to and double-click User Account Control: Behavior of the
elevation prompt for administrators or User Account Control: Behavior of the
elevation prompt for standard users.

From the drop-down menu, select one of the following settings:

No prompt

Prompt for credentials (this setting requires user name and password input
before an application or task will run as elevated)

Prompt for consent (this is the default setting for administrators only,
this setting is available for administrators only)

Also, if you run into problems with certain websites do this; change your network adapter configuration.
Set IPv4 Checksum, TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4 & IPv6) & UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4 & IPv6) all to DISABLED.

« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2007, 04:51 am by Levi »

shep

« Reply #63 on: 5 Feb 2007, 01:34 pm »
Some thoughts of my own: I have a well-tuned XP and it is trouble free. I have no intention of going thru this all over again. With every version, Microsoft tries to take control away from the users, usually because of so-called security issues that they themselves have created. In the end they will want to control our puters from their servers! It is grotesque, given the money and resources they have, that they keep building on top of a shakey, obsolete platform. I have tried many versions of Linux. They give me a headache (learning defficiency) but at least they keep trying to make it better with every version and as we know, the core is very solid and functional.
I have no experience with Mac but Steve J. is an ego-maniac and his recent success (in large part due to having been bailed out by Gates) appears to have gone to his head. If you want the new, pretty desktops with all the fancy effects, there are several well designed "Packs", Vista-like, that work very well and are mostly free. A well tuned XP is very simple: frequent cleaning of junk, registry cleaner/compactors, defragging (with non-MS ones), disconnecting ALL links with MS like updates and error reporting, and finally trimming drastically all unnecissary "services" that run automatically in the backgound. If you do this XP will run for years trouble-free. Obviously I am speaking from the point of view of a personal desktop, with no other connections or sharing other than ADSL (internet).

Levi

« Reply #64 on: 5 Feb 2007, 02:55 pm »
I left my home PC running last night. 

This morning, waking up the Vista Enterprise from hibernation is much quicker no doubt.  Definitely much better than XP Professional in controlling power management.

This is great so far so good.

Levi

« Reply #65 on: 5 Feb 2007, 03:11 pm »
Everyone should be fine running Windows XP for a long time no doubt.

The only problem is when our hardrive goes caput.  Then we have to go through the same crap again.  :evil:

Some thoughts of my own: I have a well-tuned XP and it is trouble free. I have no intention of going thru this all over again. With every version, Microsoft tries to take control away from the users, usually because of so-called security issues that they themselves have created. In the end they will want to control our puters from their servers! It is grotesque, given the money and resources they have, that they keep building on top of a shakey, obsolete platform. I have tried many versions of Linux. They give me a headache (learning defficiency) but at least they keep trying to make it better with every version and as we know, the core is very solid and functional.
I have no experience with Mac but Steve J. is an ego-maniac and his recent success (in large part due to having been bailed out by Gates) appears to have gone to his head. If you want the new, pretty desktops with all the fancy effects, there are several well designed "Packs", Vista-like, that work very well and are mostly free. A well tuned XP is very simple: frequent cleaning of junk, registry cleaner/compactors, defragging (with non-MS ones), disconnecting ALL links with MS like updates and error reporting, and finally trimming drastically all unnecissary "services" that run automatically in the backgound. If you do this XP will run for years trouble-free. Obviously I am speaking from the point of view of a personal desktop, with no other connections or sharing other than ADSL (internet).

shep

« Reply #66 on: 5 Feb 2007, 03:41 pm »
Hence smarties make hardcopy backups! I'm not one :lol: hense I have lost several full disks :duh:
I'm not sure what your point is though. Surely if your HD crashes, vista or no Vista you're up the creek.

Brian T.

« Reply #67 on: 5 Feb 2007, 05:21 pm »
Not if you take a snapshot or image of the drive!  I do a lot of development work and Norton Ghost has saved my life many, many times.  I do regular backups to an external drive which takes only seconds to do within Windows.  All disk drives do, and will, fail at some time. If you partition your drive so that the c:\ partition only holds the operating system, you can back that up separately on a (say) weekly basis or when you are about to install a new application.  The programme files can be backed up less often and the Data files incrementally.  All easily done with products like Ghost.  I keep three historical copies of each partition and have yet to fill a 250GB drive.  I am just about to build a new Media Server and I will be backing up the data to an external SATA (eSATA) drive.  I don’t fancy the job of having to re-rip nearly 1000 CDs and numerous DVDs and MP3 files.  Disk drives are so cheap now that there is really no excuse!

With respect to Vista, Business editions have ‘Windows Backup Center’ built in.  For those using Vista Home Premium, 3rd party solutions will soon be on the market.  (Including Ghost I hope!)  Of course, you can use a RAID array but these often introduce as many problems as they cure.  The current saga of nVIDIA motherboard drivers are an example.  Come on guys, disk drives are cheap and there really is no excuse not to back up your data! 

Brian

ctviggen

« Reply #68 on: 5 Feb 2007, 07:09 pm »
I also use Ghost.  However, my motherboard went down, which necessitated a new computer.  The OS partition was useless, but the data partition was great (which reminds me -- why doesn't windows make it easier to put "My Documents" and other crap on a drive that's different than the OS?).

Levi

« Reply #69 on: 5 Feb 2007, 07:15 pm »
HI Brian,

Good catch!  Yes that is correct, you can do a snapshot of the drives and create restorable images.

Here my scenario, I am running Adaptec SCSI320 controller and SCSI320 HDDs.  In your experience, which norton would boot/detect and restore the SCSI HDD to restore the image into it.  

I am looking for a solution and not trying to tech you out.

Thanks,
Levi
Not if you take a snapshot or image of the drive!  I do a lot of development work and Norton Ghost has saved my life many, many times.  I do regular backups to an external drive which takes only seconds to do within Windows.  All disk drives do, and will, fail at some time. If you partition your drive so that the c:\ partition only holds the operating system, you can back that up separately on a (say) weekly basis or when you are about to install a new application.  The programme files can be backed up less often and the Data files incrementally.  All easily done with products like Ghost.  I keep three historical copies of each partition and have yet to fill a 250GB drive.  I am just about to build a new Media Server and I will be backing up the data to an external SATA (eSATA) drive.  I don’t fancy the job of having to re-rip nearly 1000 CDs and numerous DVDs and MP3 files.  Disk drives are so cheap now that there is really no excuse!

With respect to Vista, Business editions have ‘Windows Backup Center’ built in.  For those using Vista Home Premium, 3rd party solutions will soon be on the market.  (Including Ghost I hope!)  Of course, you can use a RAID array but these often introduce as many problems as they cure.  The current saga of nVIDIA motherboard drivers are an example.  Come on guys, disk drives are cheap and there really is no excuse not to back up your data! 

Brian

Brian

jon_010101

« Reply #70 on: 5 Feb 2007, 07:26 pm »
I finally got to see Vista last night, and I've never been more happy that I switched to Mac.  While I was an MSFT fanboy in the mid-90's, I now have nothing positive to say... so I won't say anything at all.

:peek:

Brian T.

« Reply #71 on: 6 Feb 2007, 12:46 am »
I also use Ghost.  However, my motherboard went down, which necessitated a new computer.  The OS partition was useless, but the data partition was great (which reminds me -- why doesn't windows make it easier to put "My Documents" and other crap on a drive that's different than the OS?).

Hi Bob,

Your quite right, having the ‘My Documents’ directory on the c:\ partition is crazy!  However, moving it is quite easy as ‘My Documents’ is actually a redirection that is done within the Windows Explorer shell.  On your computer, open Windows Explorer.  In the left-hand pane right click on ‘My Documents’ and select ‘Properties’.  (My Documents may be under ‘My Computer’.)  Under the ‘Targets’ tab you will notice a ‘Target Folder Location’ dialogue box.  Click on ‘Move’ and navigate to where you want the actual files to reside (i.e. e:\My Documents).

Brian

Brian T.

« Reply #72 on: 6 Feb 2007, 01:07 am »
Here my scenario, I am running Adaptec SCSI320 controller and SCSI320 HDDs.  In your experience, which norton would boot/detect and restore the SCSI HDD to restore the image into it.

Hi Levi,

I am using Windows 2000 and have an Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI controller card with two Quantum Atlas 10K2 series hard disk drives.  I use Norton Ghost 9.0 which asks you whilst installing if you want to load 3rd Party drivers.  Initially, I used drivers from Adaptec’s Family Manager Set but found the generic Microsoft ones to be better.  Version 10.0 is now out and you won’t have problems with a 29320 or equivalent.  Have a look at the manual at  http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost10 to put your mind at rest.

Brian

Levi

« Reply #73 on: 6 Feb 2007, 01:52 am »
Got it.  Thanks Brian.

Here is Vista Backup and Restore utility.  It now alows you to do Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore to external usb drive or another computer.

Straight from the Vista Help menu on Backup:
Methods for backing up your files

You can lose files by accidentally deleting or replacing them, because of a virus or worm attack, software or hardware failure, or a complete hard disk failure. To protect your files, you can create a backup: a set of copies of the files that is stored in a different location from the original files. Windows provides tools for backing up files, program, and system settings.

To back up
 Use
 When to use

Personal files such as pictures, music, and documents
 Back Up Files wizard
 You should regularly back up the files you create and modify. It's also a good idea to back up your files before making any system changes, such as adding new hardware, updating drivers, editing the registry, or making large changes to Windows, such as installing a service pack. For more information about backing up files, see Back up your files.

Your entire computer
 Windows Complete PC Backup
 When you first set up your computer, you should create a Windows Complete PC Backup image, which is like taking a snapshot of the programs, system settings, and files on your computer. You can use the backup if your computer ever stops working. Although this type of backup includes your personal files, we recommend that you back up your files regularly using the Back Up Files wizard. You should also update the Windows Complete PC Backup image every six months.

Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore is not included with Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

Picture of the utility below:

« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2007, 02:15 am by Levi »

Levi

« Reply #74 on: 6 Feb 2007, 04:04 am »
In addition to Vista Backup and Restore Utility, it also has Windows Easy Transfer which easily transfer's all your hardware, software and program settings to another computer.  This is a nice feature. 

Levi

« Reply #75 on: 6 Feb 2007, 04:51 am »
I am still playing around with Vista Enterprise.  Where is Outlook Express?  I am just wondering althought I use Office 2007 Enterprise Edition.

jules

« Reply #76 on: 6 Feb 2007, 05:29 am »
I'm enormously excited by the arrival of Vista!

Now, the army of clever virus designers can move on to a new target and leave XP in peace. Prior to taking up XP, I've used win 98 till quite recently and for quite a long period without any virus protection [but care].

I've tried Linux and I would have stuck with it but for the fact that I had a few glitches that needed real expertise to fix. Otherwise I preferred it to Windows.

jules

Levi

« Reply #77 on: 6 Feb 2007, 05:48 am »
Hi Jules,

It is only a matter of time. 

Levi

I'm enormously excited by the arrival of Vista!

Now, the army of clever virus designers can move on to a new target and leave XP in peace. Prior to taking up XP, I've used win 98 till quite recently and for quite a long period without any virus protection [but care].

I've tried Linux and I would have stuck with it but for the fact that I had a few glitches that needed real expertise to fix. Otherwise I preferred it to Windows.

jules

jules

« Reply #78 on: 6 Feb 2007, 05:56 am »
I presume that you mean I was lucky with Win 98? I agree but I was very surprised at just how long I went without problems. It was 3 years from memory and prior to that I'd religiously used and updated Norton [which was something of a pain in its intrusiveness] only to have a virus sneak through. I dumped Norton after that. My system worked faster and I didn't get invaded.

I've had the same early experience with XP in that a trojan horse entered a well protected system [kids downloading music] but based on the past, Vista could take the pressure off ... maybe  :)

jules

Levi

« Reply #79 on: 6 Feb 2007, 06:01 am »
Hi Jules,

I was referring to Vista virus.  It is a matter of time before someone finds a hole.  Vista Enterprise do come with spyware protection and several security layers than can be easy breached.  Can't be too sure if they will only work with Vista...IE6 and IE7 perhaps.  I have seen recent worms that gives you popups and ads.  But yah, I guess if you only browse a well known site like AC then you will be safe from Viruses and pop-ups!  No ADS...beat that!

Levi