Sell me a R-DES

Val

Sell me a R-DES
« on: 19 Jul 2006, 05:46 pm »
I was planning to order a Velodyne SMS-1 to go with my REL Storm III (upgrading to a Force XL later on) but I see the strong competition from R-DES (good price and stereo to boot). I don't mind it having only 4 equalizers or the need to purchase a mic (about $100 for a good one including preamp) and measuring software ($80 for TrueRTA). My questions are:

Can I use the R-DES with my Squeezebox?
Is the hardware transparent enough for my Sapphire XLs?
How would it work with the built-in Force crossover?
When is the mic/software package coming?

Thanks

BobRex

Re: Sell me a R-DES
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2006, 07:50 pm »
A small correction.  The RDES is not stereo.  The identical modified signal is sent to both channels.  If the RDES were truly stereo, you'd be able to modify each channel independently.

As far as I can see, the RDES would not be seen by the Sapphires.  It should go into the circuit to the sub, not the sats.  According to the instruction manual (available on-line) you just bypass the RDES internal crossover and utilize the crossover on the sub.  Or...
you bypass the sub xrossover and just use the RDES.  Either way will work, one may sound better than the other.  BTW, to bypass the crossover, just set it to the highest value.  From what I remember, the RDES works with included test tones and a Rat Shack SPL meter.  Why would you need a mic/software package?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2006, 08:05 pm »
Val:

BobRex is right on with his reply  :D

The only problem with R-Des is getting them fast enough to fill orders. Right now we're at about a two week backorder . . .

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2006, 08:15 pm »
I'm quite certain R-DES IS stereo in the sense that the signals are not mixed, but it does apply the same EQ curve to both channels.  It would be easy to test and validate this, but I don't have a unit. 

rob_b

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2006, 08:31 pm »
Val, just sent you a pm.
I'm selling a totally new unit for $275. It's the most recent version with the firmware upgrade.  I just recently took delivery on mine.  I'm just not using and don't have time to set it up.  I actually have room treatments and audessy working pretty well, hence the sale.
Let me know if you're interested.
Rob

BobRex

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2006, 08:44 pm »
Brad, I believe you are correct in that the channels aren't mixed in any way.  So, maybe consider the RDES as dual mono.  To me, if a product is stereo, then each channel should act independently of the other.  Since the RDES applies the same correction to both channels, it is far from being true stereo.

But, semantics aside... the real problem is if you try to use a single RDES to calibrate stereo subs, you may create more problems than you solve.  Stereo subs, unless they are placed perfectly symmetrically in a "perfect" room will each load the room differently.  What the SPL meter then sees is actually the potential summed response of both subs.  The resulting corrections may not resolve the actual loading issues since the stereo subs can mask each other.  You need to be able to adjust each channel independently.

BradJudy

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2006, 09:11 pm »
True.  Unless the subs are stacked or adjacent, then you will need a separate EQ curve for each sub receiving a different signal to properly address room issues.  Since only the end result at the listening position matters, having a single EQ curve for multiple subs receiving the same signal (e.g. a home theater with a single LFE output going to two subs) isn't a problem.  Essentially, you need a separate EQ curve for each discrete signal you wish to flatten in your room. 

At the moment, there aren't a lot of options for multiple signals except for multiple devices (although I think the BFD does two channels, each with their own EQ curve).  I hope to see things like R-DES and SMS-1 have independent EQs for different channels in the future.  At the moment, SMS-1 even mixes the incoming signals into a single signal that is sent to all of the outputs. 

Val

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2006, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for all the answers.

Val

sg

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2006, 09:11 pm »
So, when IS the automatic eq package (mic and software) for the r-des coming?

JimmyB

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2007, 09:24 pm »
So, when IS the automatic eq package (mic and software) for the r-des coming?

Mike any updates on when this package will be out?