Antique style horn kit

NoahH

Antique style horn kit
« on: 4 Feb 2023, 05:16 pm »
Hey all,
I know this is a stretch but it seemed worth a shot.

I have a wood-paneled study that came with my house that has always felt a bit pretentious to use as an actual office. My wife had the idea to do it eclectically though - basically antique industrial so that it felt almost steampunk (but not the real fantasy style of steampunk).

The issue, being an audiophile, is getting some sound in the room. I can do a tube integrated kit that will be perfect, but speakers are hard. The best idea for something that would fit is Specimen Audio horns. But I would love to do something from parts, particularly as being able to customize the finish even further would help.

Has anyone done a vintage horn twist on GR gear? Or anything else come to mind as ideas?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Antique style horn kit
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2023, 05:36 pm »
Noah, I've had many (too many) ideas about speaker styling, but it had more to do with adorning box as opposed to creating a functional horn or something that would alter designed acoustics.

I can't see the space you're dealing with, but perhaps something with a medieval vibe, like metal straps and big rivet heads. Make speaker stands look like swords or perhaps a sword appearing to skewer the speaker if you like the whimsical side of things.

That's just me, though. I love thinking about stuff like this but alas the audiophile world is far less eclectic in my experience, so it will fall short in that regard. I'm tempted to make a video of something like this, but it seems that type of subject matter is the least watched on my channel, so I question the appeal.

Water Dog

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2023, 06:29 pm »
Maybe find something like a vintage Philco and turn it into something that would work?  Not a horn solution, but could be a fun project!

Phil_S

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2023, 08:42 pm »
I would think GR's modifications to classic Klipsch speakers would be more inline with the style you're looking for.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2023, 08:59 pm »
For DIY horn speaker kits, check out Pi Speakers https://www.pispeakers.com/contents.html

I'm not a fan of most of the horn speakers I've heard but I like the these horns.

NoahH

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2023, 11:50 pm »
I appreciate the thoughts!

I am less looking for "box speakers and like horn tweeters" than "what is that cone thing?" horns. Ex. The Specimen Audio style I mentioned at the start, or classics like Avanteguarde. I need something that can look at least inspired by something in the 19th century

Phil_S

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2023, 01:01 am »

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2023, 02:14 am »
There's no need to design or build a speaker. Buy a pair of standard bookshelf speakers and build a funky design around them. Add non-functional horns on top like Specimen Audio or maybe some deer antlers. Or buy some weird speakers like these:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=184481.0

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2023, 10:26 am »
Joseph Crowe might be more up your alley josephcrowe.com

NoahH

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2023, 01:01 am »
Early - that is brilliant. Thank you for that - it is officially my fallback now.

Mike - those plans are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who shared ideas!

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2023, 08:52 pm »
Early B has the right idea.

Build one of our kits and keep the guts, box size, and surface area of the front baffle as designed, but get creative with what you can build around it. You might even incorporate something cool into a stand for a monitor.

The kit as designed will get you guaranteed performance that you can build a work of art around.