Super Alnico Monitors

Ragnar71

Super Alnico Monitors
« on: 5 Mar 2020, 05:21 pm »
Can someone who owns these tell me how the top end sounds, and what isle any type of music these are not great at. I’m nowhere close to knowledgeable , I’m working on building a 2 channel system for music , and secondarily to run my TV through. I love watching concert videos and truth be told I’m almost 50 and could use the added volume from my fiat screen. I’ve had 7.2 HT set ups and do not desire the surround stuff at all anymore. Music is the priority.

What I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around is the lack of tweeter. My tube amp is a Raven Osprey which very cooly ( I don’t know if that’s a word) comes with a 80hz internal crossover so the amp will just be using all 20 watts to the speakers at 80hz and above, so the monitors will be relieved of the lower bass. I’m thinking that will really help them, because as I understand full range speakers biggest caveat is the vibrations of the woofer can hinder the top end. I want to build 2 of the GR research open baffle subs, to take care of that bass.

I feel like I may have been all over the place on this, hopefully you guys understand what I’m asking.

FireGuy

Re: Super Alnico Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2020, 07:11 pm »
Hello Ragnar71.  I have not heard the Super Alnico driver but I do own Omega Super 5's with the RS5.  Regarding the top end on this driver I will add (for me) there is nothing lacking.  I find it to be crisp, pristine and when called upon will sizzle.  Overall sound is quite organic in its presentation.  Like walking barefoot on silk.

I have not experienced any woofer vibrations that would cause the upper freq to degrade.  Even at extended volumes.  First I've heard of this phenomenon with full range drivers.
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2020, 09:57 pm by FireGuy »

Kalali

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2020, 09:11 pm »
I have a pair of SAMs but they are used exclusively for 2-channel Audio and mostly for acoustical music, jazz, blues, vocals, etc. For these types of content, I find the speakers very satisfying top to bottom, extremely detailed and dynamic. As for their weaknesses, most full orchestral classical music contents sound somewhat congested especially at higher listening volumes and I suspect in an HT application the bass will be inadequate particularly for highly dynamic movie content. If you can successfully integrate the subwoofers with the SAMs, which may require some experimentation, and depending on your room size and acoustics, you should be able to have a great full range sound.

effluviography

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2020, 10:54 pm »
I have a custom set of Alnico Monitors (similar to the CAMs). I use them in a 2 channel setup for music primarily, but also use them as a late night 2 channel HT viewing room. Top end is extended and clear. With the alnico, you also get the extra aural texture. Sound quality with rock, jazz, blues, and folk is sublime (using a Decware Mini-torii tube amp). Don't listen to classical much, so will defer to others there. For tv and movies, dialog, music and effects are crystal clear. I use a sub for added bass reinforcement. They get pretty loud with only 4 watts of tube goodness too.

I would wholeheartedly recommend these alnico speakers to anyone for music or home theater. I'm happy with 2.1 for all my needs - if that is your intention, I say go with Alnico. Also have 3i and 3xrs speakers. Like them too, but the texture from the alnico is simply lovely.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2020, 11:51 pm »
Another 2.1 user here (CAMs + Deep Hemp sub). Nothing lacking in the top end.

Doody

Ragnar71

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2020, 01:03 am »
Awesome.... full orchestral pieces aside, which I gladly set to the side, this is all exciting news

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2020, 03:34 am »
I had the tower version of the Super Alnico Monitors and now I have the High Output Alnico towers.

As stated above the Super Alnicos were great for almost everything but tended to run out of steam on really big orchestral pieces and massed choral pieces when pressed for "realistic" volume levels. Remarkable for jazz, voice, and smaller instrumental works.

The High Output Alnico towers do it all. They are remarkable.

hells

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2020, 10:15 pm »
Anybody compare the High Output monitors against the Towers? I'm not super familiar if there would even be a difference beyond the fact the towers take care of the "stand" portion for you. They should be the same speaker right?