Synergistic amplifiers with Daedalus speakers

david12

Re: Synergistic amplifiers with Daedalus speakers
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2010, 04:53 pm »
 I spoke to Dan briefly at RMAF. He said he is working an an integrated, loosely based on the new KW100 and elements of the 36 pre amp. He thought it will be out sometime this year. I hope that is'nt giving away any secrets.

revrob

« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2010, 01:12 am »
Dave,

For what its worth I have an LSA Signature integrated paired with Salk HT3 speakers and it is a wonderful combination. I am not sure how it would match up with your speakers. One of the things I like about it is that it is a hybrid and you get the best of both world. 150 wpc of ss and a tube preamp.

The music is magic with this amp. It is great for both low listening and concert level, it never disappoints. Hopes this helps  a little and good luck with the search.

Steve

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2010, 05:21 pm »
Dave,

For what its worth I have an LSA Signature integrated paired with Salk HT3 speakers and it is a wonderful combination. I am not sure how it would match up with your speakers. One of the things I like about it is that it is a hybrid and you get the best of both world. 150 wpc of ss and a tube preamp.

The music is magic with this amp. It is great for both low listening and concert level, it never disappoints. Hopes this helps  a little and good luck with the search.

Steve
that looks like a great amp, I'd love to try one someday.  it's a bit big which defeats much of the logic for using an integrated amp ( often but not always it is an aesthetic and space driven choice), but there are laws of physics which cannot be ignored, eh?
best,
lou

revrob

« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2010, 06:58 pm »
Lou,

It is heavy and big at almost 80 pounds but it really delivers the goods. I recently thought about going to separates but the sound is so seductive that I have now reconsidered and will keep this amp. You know audiophiles they are never truly happy until their next purchase.

Before I purchase the Salks I gave the Daedalus speakers are hard consideration. I have heard nothing but good things about your speakers. They would probably match up well with the LSA.

Thanks,
Steve

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:14 pm »
I'm in the midst of gear evaluations and listening test's on a crossover upgrade for the speakers and have noticed that the Modwright KWA 150 which I use for a reference has finally broken in! it has been playing for better than 6 months, granted that's a long time but good things come to those who wait. in this case I'd say great things!  it has attained a beautiful tube like clarity and richness in the mids and highs while still having great control and extension in the bass. I love this amp!!!!! while the amp has already received rave reviews none of them reflect the truly broken in amp, which is definitely up another notch from what the reviewers heard !

thanks,
lou

david12

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2010, 10:28 am »
MCa  I can answer that one, I think. I asked Dan that very question at RMAF. He said an integrated is the next project, for sometime nerxt year. It will be based on the new KW100 and near to the 36.5 preamp.

I think that Ayon look a very good package, right across the board.

david12

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:59 am »
David,

Just curious what you ended up with?

Well I have decided and I thought I would pass the experience on. Thanks for everyones advice. Some I could'nt follow. as I was looking for a reasonably compact integrated.

My existing Viva Solista was very good, but a bit soft, lacking a grip on the DA RMas. I listened to a number of options, some with the speakers, some not. First I tried an LSA STatement. I am afraid I was disappointed, it just sounded too Solid State to me, despite being a Hybrid. The Ayon Spirit and Orion I listened to at the same time, were much more like it, lovely amps.

At home with the speakers, I had the Emille K40 first. Not a strong presence in the US, but a lovely, well engineered 30watt tube amp. That was much more like it with the speakers, better  grip,imaging, wider soundstage and better control of the base. In the end though, it was just edged out by the Pathos Inpol2, a 50 watt Class A, tube/mosfet hybrid. It had all the qualities of the Emille, but a richer, more natural tone. The Emille was a bit dry in comparison.

I can really strongly recommend the Inpol and I suspect the smaller, cheaper 35 watt TT amp. I bought the Inpol because it was available second hand.

Thanks again for all your advice

David

david12

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2011, 04:39 pm »
 As a postscript, I am still using the Pathos Inpol2 with the DA-RMas and am still pleased with the sound. Lou checked out the sound when he was over visiting and seemed to think it was a good combination too. Mind you, he could'nt have been too rude about it, as he was a guest.

I still hankered after an all tube sound and after auditioning a Jadis 50S, which I was'nt too taken with, listened to the Ayon Spirit and Spark. Both are truly excellent, but the Spark was clearly more refined and delicate.

Having used it for a while as a change of pace from the Pathos, it is hard to split them. The Spark is a 20watt SET using 62C3 tubes, against the 50watt Pathos. The sound is different, not such a wide soundstage, imaging not as pinpoint, but clearly a richer, more developed tone. You can hear the woodiness of a Cello in Starkers Bach Cello Sonatas for example.

So, I can clearly recommend to Pathos and Ayon, if you are looking for an integrated choice. We listened to the DA-RMAs with  the Modwright 150SE at the London show, but the room was so difficult, it was'nt a fair comparison

Audioclyde

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:06 pm »
Since I became a die-hard SET fan after using a 300B amp with my DA-Rma's, I've stayed in the SET family, but since January I've been using a Mastersound 845 amp (fed by a Modwright LS100 pre), and I've very, very happy with the sound.

Berto

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:39 pm »
I also made a change to bring out the potential of my Ulysses. And now have that wonderful engaging sound of decay and texture that I could'nt get with OTLs. Luvin a pair of F2a monos, for 40watts their V/ballsy and dynamic , got a big open sound that I can listen to forever!

easystreet

« Reply #30 on: 1 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm »
Hey Berto--

The only "f2a monos" that I am aware of are the Shindo Sinhonia monoblock amps that use the F2a driver tubes.  Is that what you are using?  With the Ulysses?  I'm curious because I have a pair of Ulysses on order from Lou and will be using them with a Shindo Cortese stereo SET, which also uses the F2a tube, but only 10 watts per channel. I auditioned the Ulysses with this amp, by the way, and it had plenty of headroom, so I'm not too concerned about lack of power in my medium sized listening room. Out of curiosity, could you let us know what the rest of your system consists of?

Chris2005

« Reply #31 on: 23 Nov 2012, 03:31 pm »
Maybe I can revive this older thread. I read the recommendation for Modwright amps but am still somewhat on the fence given the remaining solid state signature. So, I am interested if there any new experiences with medium to higher powered tube amps, specifically such as 845, 211, 6C33, KT 88... 

Thanks
Chris

pdreher

« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov 2012, 04:48 pm »
I have the Ulysses and drive them with ease with a VAC 70/70 Renaissance Signature.  The VAC puts out approximately 65 wpc when all eight 300B power tubes are installed.  Lately, I've been experimenting by only using four of the eight 300B's, thereby cutting the power output in half (32wpc).  Still, no problem at all driving the Ulysses to very high volume levels without any signs of them needing/wanting more power.  I would never entertain going back to a SS amp.

jriggy

« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2012, 05:26 pm »
Hello Chris,

I have used an Ayon Triton II integrated, 4 KT-88's a side, 125 watts, triode mode, with my Ulysses for about the last year and a half. I love it! True that there are lots of owners using Modwright and I have seen Pass as well but most of the Daedalus owners that I know and talk to use tubes, from low to high wattage... That is the beauty of Lou's speakers, they are just so versatile. There a are few designers and manufactures that use Lou's speakers in their reference rooms with ss or tubes. Whatever your tastes may be, these speakers can accommodate... I believe it was RMAF 2011 (maybe 2010?) where Lou's speakers showed their versatility by being in 5 or more rooms running the gamut from low power tubes, to high power solid state.

Would love to know what you decide on

Jason

Berto

« Reply #34 on: 23 Nov 2012, 06:04 pm »
Hey Berto--

The only "f2a monos" that I am aware of are the Shindo Sinhonia monoblock amps that use the F2a driver tubes.  Is that what you are using?  With the Ulysses?  I'm curious because I have a pair of Ulysses on order from Lou and will be using them with a Shindo Cortese stereo SET, which also uses the F2a tube, but only 10 watts per channel. I auditioned the Ulysses with this amp, by the way, and it had plenty of headroom, so I'm not too concerned about lack of power in my medium sized listening room. Out of curiosity, could you let us know what the rest of your system consists of?

Hi Easy

Sorry for late reply just saw this. I have a pair of Tubeguru f2a monos not the pricey Sinhonias. My friend brought over a 211 integrated and it literally made me smile when listening to vocals. I honestly never heard my Ulysses sound so good, nor did I imagine they could sound that good. My friend has Zu defs and even he was shocked how good my speaks sounded.  With that being said i'm now looking at alternative tube types 211, 845, GM70 are all types I am now considering. My rig is goin through alot of changes but am getting a remote DUDE preamp soon with some dueland caps(replacing a Shindo Auriges), got a Lampizator transport, a AMR & Metrum dacs (modding the latter now). All plugged into a PI audio uberbuss. I am amp shopping now but meanwhile still love my f2a monos.

Also forgot to mention for wire got wywire v3 ICs, Daedalus/Bolder SCs , for PCs Sablon Gran Coronas on amps and pre and Triode wire labs on DAC and transport. Did alot of wire rolling and and very happy with my results!

Gopher

« Reply #35 on: 23 Nov 2012, 06:06 pm »
Maybe I can revive this older thread. I read the recommendation for Modwright amps but am still somewhat on the fence given the remaining solid state signature. So, I am interested if there any new experiences with medium to higher powered tube amps, specifically such as 845, 211, 6C33, KT 88... 

Thanks
Chris

Chris,

I recently heard my Melody AN211 integrated SET amplifier with a pair of Ulysses speakers and they were sublime.  The owner of the Ulysses, who posted previously in this thread, was blown away and says its the best he's heard his speakers sound.  I've heard many iterations of his system over the years and wholeheartedly agree.

EDIT:  Lol, looks like my friend beat me by 2 minutes.

Chris2005

« Reply #36 on: 23 Nov 2012, 06:51 pm »
Gopher, may I ask how the sound was compared to your Zu speakers?

Gopher

« Reply #37 on: 23 Nov 2012, 07:00 pm »
At the time I brought it over, it was more relaxed and laid back in a pleasant way.  At home things were a little forward which I generally enjoyed but could be a little sharp.  They were similarly resolved though I might give the slight edge to the Zu Def's nanotech drivers. 

A few weeks later I got placement of my speakers closer to ideal and was messaging Berto on gchat earlier that with the wider spread and closer wall placement I've adopted the speakers are far more similar then different.

I have a lot of respect for the Ulysses, its a great speaker.   I found the presentation of scale and imaging to be similar, though the Us may have better stage depth.  The only place I solidly prefer my Zu Defs is in bass. 

david12

« Reply #38 on: 25 Nov 2012, 02:40 pm »
Interesting the mention of Ayon Triton, I alternate the Pathos Inpol with a 20 watt Ayon Spark. Both sound just great with the DA-RMas. 20 watts, at least SET watts, seem more than enough, in my room . I prefer the sound to the much more expensive Viva Solista, I sold a few years ago.

I know Lou is really keen on beefy solid state amps and his speakers do sound great with Modwright. It does seem to defeat the object of making High sensitivity speakers, then use 200 watt amps with them, though I know they can take the power. Having said that, I would love to know if anyone has used the Modwright KW200 integrated amp with any of Lou's speakers, that would be interesting.

figcon

« Reply #39 on: 25 Nov 2012, 06:43 pm »
I've not used the Modwright amps, but know Lou loves Dan's equipment with his speakers.

I use a pair of Rogue Apollo's with KT 120's with my Ulysses and they sound great with these amps.  I've also used Rogue's Medusa hybrid Tube/Class D amp and it also sounds great, although a different presentation than the Apollo's. Rogue Hera II is the preamp and it is a widely ignored, but great sounding preamp.