ps4 features new True Audio DSP audio hardware

Rclark

ps4 features new True Audio DSP audio hardware
« on: 13 Nov 2013, 07:09 pm »
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/4

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=715035

Even in the youtube feeds of various ps4 games, such as Battlefield 4, you can really tell there's been a huge leap in the sound. You can tell that environments and effects sound more realistic and 3 dimensional, with sound simulated with real world properties. Get ready for audio raytracing. Headphone gaming should be especially nice.

And excited to compare the audio quality for games and music to the ps3, which was more than decent on its own, better with a dac.

Edit: consensus is this is more powerful than x1 audio hardware as well.

Woodsea

MP3 and CD's will be unlocked...later
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2013, 09:04 pm »
Yesterday, Sony conceded that it was surprised by the amount of complaints in regards to the inability to play MP3 and CD's.  They denied it as a tactic to sell more of their music service, and it will be able to play those music files in a later PS4 download.

Rclark

Re: ps4 features new True Audio DSP audio hardware
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2013, 09:27 pm »
I'm going to do a full review of Music Unlimted as it deserves to be appreciated. New ps4 owners get a 30 day trial and I suggest trying it.

Yes, Shu Yushida in an interview said mp3 support wasn't included at launch because their focus has been on games and making sure their focus was on that.

Over in the discless circler they're talking about Sony dedicated DSD players so I may add one as a companion device for hi rez file playback. But Music Unlimited is stellar on ps3, and my guess is Music Unlimted on Ps4 is an end-game solution for music playback. Streaming music has grown up and stands toe to toe with more traditional forms of playback.

But back on topic, for gaming, ps4 promises extremely high res, positional audio beyond what we've ever experienced previously. Can't wait to try it out tommorrow at midnight.