N1X

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
N1X
« on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:04 am »
The N1X kit arrived today.

I still have a little work to do on the finish of the top of one of the speakers. I gave up trying to fix a small spot and sanded the entire top back down and started over. I still have a stubborn area, different than the previous one, but it is filling in better. I am also learning a lot about this finishing technique of French polishing. I'm getting better at it all the time. By the time I get the crossovers built I should have the finishing completed. I already have most of the NoRez in since I had almost a whole sheet in the garage.

I have posted pictures of different parts of this build in a couple of different threads in the past. I can combine the pictures here into an abbreviated build thread if anyone is interested. Otherwise I'll just post pics from this point forward.  Hopefully I'll be done with them by the end of this coming weekend.

Mike

NeilT

Re: N1X
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm »
Please post all the build pictures in this thread, looking forward to it.
Build threads are the best.  :)

Neil

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm »
I look forward to seeing pics.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2013, 04:54 pm »
+1  on both the above   :thumb:

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2013, 01:21 am »
OK I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days, recharging the camera batter right now.

Danny, are the port tubes in the kit cut to the proper length?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2013, 01:46 am »
Danny, are the port tubes in the kit cut to the proper length?

Mike

Yes, I already cut them for you.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2013, 02:29 am »
Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2013, 11:41 pm »
Here are some of the pics I promised.

Starting with the N1X parts cutout

Here the boxes are being glued uo

Here are the boxes glued up and the baffles cutout and rounded over

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2013, 12:00 am »
Once the boxes were glued up (OK quite awhile after the boxes were glued up since I stopped to build the X-LS & X-CS Encores) it was time to finish the cabinets. I decided to try veneer and settled for a cherry veneer with a PSA (peel & Stick) backing.

I started by laying out the veneer

A lesson learned here. Unroll the entire veneer sheet and look at the grain patterns before cutting anything. That way you can use the most interesting patterns where they will be seen the most. I didn't do this and ended up with one speaker with a lot of interesting grain patterns and one that was relatively plain.  Once you know how you want to use the veneer you have to cut it to size. I used a very sharp carving knife.

Once the pieces are cut it is time to start applying the veneer.

Getting the veneer to lay smoothly over the rounded edges required a little help from some veneer tamer

More to come

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2013, 02:21 am »
Those are looking really good.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2013, 04:12 am »
When I applied the veneer I wrapped a single piece down one side, around the front and down the other side. Then I added a separate piece to the back and used a hole saw to to make the initial cuts in the driver and port openings. The piece of veneer by the side is for the top.

then I applied veneer to the tops and bottoms

Then I trimmed the edges

After that I used a flush trim bit in the router to open up the woofer holes and the through hole portion of the tweeter and port holes. I then used scissors, a sharp knife, and sandpaper to finish trimming the veneer to the edge of the recess openings. I used a Forstner bit for the tube connector openings.

Next up ... finishing

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:11 am »
Here are some pics of the finishing process:

Here are a couple of pics of the problem spot I mentioned earlier

I was not able to repair the spot to my satisfaction so I took the top back down to bare wood and started over. I'll post pics of the finished speakers after my camera battery recharges.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:14 am »
Until the battery finishes charging up ...

Here are the crossovers

Here are the crossovers installed

Next up will be pics of the finished speakers.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:49 am »
Here's the top with the problem spot after I refinished it

Here are some more finished pics

I haven't made grills for them yet. Not sure that I will. If I decide to make grills the GR Research badge will go on the grills. If not I'll either put the badges on the lower right hand corner of the front or cenetered on the back by the tube connectors.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:47 am »
Very nice Mike   :thumb:

I saw your  post in  Neils thread.   
Figured you  were going to likie  the Neo   !!  And  yo u may find they get a bit smoother  yet depending on how mnay hours you've put on them.
Are you still considering  the platinum caps   ? 

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:14 am »
Jay,

Thanks.

They have about 40 hours on them at this point. I'm not going to put the platinums in this set. I didn't build the crossovers in such a way that I could make that upgrade very easily. At the very least I'd have to cut the wires to the tube connectors to get the crossover boards out of the cabinet so I could replace the bypass caps. Then I'd have to splice an extra length of wire back to the tube connectors.

I will use platinum caps in the N3TL's and N3S I decided to build for the living room.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:38 am »
That is the one drawback  to the tube cnnectors.....  it'd be cool to  have them  so that the connector itself ( the housing  inserted into the cabinet ) was female on each side.  Then  the leads from  the crossovers and the speaker cables would both have the maile ends  that  could basically touch in the middle keeping the  wires as physically close   together as possible still.  Not sure how much of anissue that extra male terminal would be  ?

I think with only  40 hrs on  those,  you will still hear them smoothern out a bit more.   I'd say you may even notice some improvement up to the 100  hour or more  mark  .  With the platinums it's 4 or 5 times  that but worth the wait

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2013, 02:38 am »
Mike, those look really nice.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2013, 02:48 am »
Jay,

Who knows, after I hear the N3TL's with the platinum caps I may decide it would be worth it to upgrade the N1X's. The easiest way would be to replace the tube connectors. That way I wouldn't have to splice the wires. An additional expense yes but if I were spending the money for platinum caps it would be worth it to not add another solder joint into the circuit.

Danny,

Thanks

Mike

NeilT

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:38 am »
Very Nice Mike, thanks for the detailed build pics.
I am going to be veneering for the first time on my brother's speaker build.
I may be PM'ing you for tips.

Neil