Classe Sigma SSP competing against a good stereo pre

musicgeek

Hello all!

I'm finally moving to a space where I can setup a 5.1 surround system to satisfy my itch for movies and some music in surround.

My listening is 70-30 music-movies, and that's why I'd focused on building a 2 channel rig I love. I currently have a Modwright SWL 9 preamp and a pair of Odyssey Khartago extreme monos, and they sound great.

When it came to looking at AV pre-pros that do really well on 2 channel sources, I came across a few options (Krell foundation, Bryston sp3, Classe SSP sigma). Several reviewers and online opinions suggest the Classe is as good as it's stereo preamp, the CP-800, and sounds very high end for stereo with analog bypass.

I really want to simplify my system to a single preamp handling everything. Has anyone here disinfect l experienced both the Modwright and the Classe pres? Am I planning a significant downgrade to sound quality?

Thank you!

artur9

Re: Classe Sigma SSP competing against a good stereo pre
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2021, 03:04 am »
I have a Foundation.  I think it's great.  Especially for multi-channel music, if you ever get into that.

I have heard rumors that the Foundation and the SP3 were both slated to be replaced soon.

HST, a person I respect on another forum said the SSP-800 was the processor to beat and I don't think he was as impressed with the Sigma.