JJ Gold Pins

elcaptain88

JJ Gold Pins
« on: 1 Nov 2006, 05:11 pm »
I just had to get a new set of tubes for my Ultra SL and noticed that there is now a 'gold pin' version of the JJ ecc81 for about twice the price. Anyone try these yet? A quick internet search turned up little as they appear to be a relatively new offering.

andrewbee

Re: JJ Gold Pins
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2006, 06:39 pm »
same tube with gold plating on the pins. similar to their blue / red glass tubes, same internals just different coloured glass.

elcaptain88

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2006, 07:27 pm »
They certainly appear identical otherwise  - however some folks have noted a 'smoother' signature on these in their guitar amps. Have you actually used them?

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2006, 09:41 pm »
Hey!

This is very interesting. :D Seem like many new production tube makers are now offer tubes in gold pin version. I'm using Ei Elite 12ax7... the gold pin version. Have not compare between the two so I don't know.

But I and I'm sure many others are curious about how much improvement you get with the gold pins version of the same tube?

Of cause the gold plated pins supposed to have a better electrical transfer with resistance to the corrosion. And than there is a direct gold plating and non-direct of which there is a layer of nickle (I think)

I hope someone with money and time to spare could do a comparison and let us know.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

plaf26

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2006, 02:42 am »
Wasn't it Radio Shack that used to sell ALL their tubes with gold pins  :scratch:?

rustneversleeps

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2006, 03:16 am »
I do have a Ratshack tube with gold color pin, but I don't think it's gold plated, it looks more like brass color.

I have never compared the sound of a gold pin tube with a nickel pin tube.

Back in my old GI days, I've seen gold pin tubes were used for preventing corrosion in equipment, but in your home, gold pins are not needed.