Hafler DH-500 Rebuild question

nelamvr6

« on: 30 May 2006, 11:28 am »
I'm a little confused.

The web site says in one spot that the OmegaStar 500EX rebuild is: "Available only as upgrade to existing AVA 500 amps", but in another spot says: "We gut the original electronics from your DH-500 and build in the fastest, most transparent, and highest definition solid-state amplifier you have ever heard".

I have a completely original DH-500. Can I get the rebuild? Is there a price difference from a rebuild of an AVA 500 amp?

There isn't a lot of info on the web site about what is involved with the rebuild.

Are RCA jacks and speaker out posts replaced/upgraded? If these upgrades are not included in the rebuild are they available for additional cost? Is it possible to have an IEC power connector installed?

Thanks in advance for the info.

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2006, 08:44 pm »
Yes we still do the complete OmegaStar 500EX amplifier rebuild for stock Hafler 500 and 600 amplifiers.  The price is $1299 plus $38 return shipping.

The input jacks are replaced with high quality gold contact jacks.  The output jacks are not replaced unless they are defective.  They are very high current rated 5-way binding posts that handle way more than full power and have no effect on the sound at all.

We do not install IEC power connectors.  These simply add one more set of contact points to eventually fail, the power cord we use again is rated for way more than continuous full power.  The audiophlake end of the industry with wonderful sounding wires, cables, and whatever, is so far removed from good electrical engineering and so full of fraud and bogus prices for snake oil that it makes us gag.

The OmegaStar 500EX puts a brand new state of the art amplifier in your Hafler box.  Its our original design, our circuits, and our outstanding musicality, all done with years of experience in testing and measuring and circuit math and careful listening, separating out the BS, discovering the weak links, fixing them, and never being satisfied with the status quo.

Our hard earned long term reputation for providing outstandingly musical audio components has absolutely nothing to do with good sounding parts, after market power cords, or any other voodoo.  Its simply good engineering.  Not glamorous, not Black Gate caps, not Bee Bee whatevers, but good engineering.  Engineering works, witchcraft does not.  That simple.

Frank Van Alstine

RooX

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2006, 12:59 am »
Quote from: avahifi
Yes we still do the complete OmegaStar 500EX amplifier rebuild for stock Hafler 500 and 600 amplifiers.  The price is $1299 plus $38 return shipping.

The input jacks are replaced with high quality gold contact jacks.  The output jacks are not replaced unless they are defective.  They are very high current rated 5-way binding posts that handle way more than full power and have no effect on the sound at all.

We do not install IEC power connectors.  These simply add one more set of contact points to even ...

hear hear!

nelamvr6

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2006, 01:49 am »
IEC connector is certainly not a deal breaker for me, I just like having the flexibility of a detachable power cord.

But IEC connector or not, I'm sold! I'll be putting my order in for a rebuild in a couple of weeks.

How long does it generally take?

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2006, 12:19 pm »
Rebuild lead time is about 30 days right now.

I have one customer who is running twelve !!!! OmegaStar 500EX amplifiers in bridge mode operation with our hybrid bridges in tri-amped applications getting thousands and thousands of watts per channel.  The mind boggles at what kind of sound he is getting from his Legacy Whisper speakers.

http://forum.stereophile.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/540.

Evidently John Atkinson has visited his home and heard the system recently, powered by all AVA equipment.

Frank Van Alstine

nelamvr6

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2006, 12:52 pm »

I have one customer who is running twelve !!!! OmegaStar 500EX amplifiers in bridge mode operation with our hybrid bridges in tri-amped applications getting thousands and thousands of watts per channel.  The mind boggles at what kind of sound he is getting from his Legacy Whisper speakers.

http://forum.stereophile.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/540.

Evidently John Atkinson has visited his home and heard the system recently, powered by all AVA equipment.

Frank Van Alstine

:o   Well, I'll just have to make do with one! :D

EMM801

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2006, 03:58 am »

I have one customer who is running twelve !!!! OmegaStar 500EX amplifiers in bridge mode operation with our hybrid bridges in tri-amped applications getting thousands and thousands of watts per channel.  The mind boggles at what kind of sound he is getting from his Legacy Whisper speakers.Frank Van Alstine

I hope he lives near a great sounding powerplant  :lol:

CE2

Re: Hafler DH-500 Rebuild question
« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2006, 04:10 pm »
The OmegaStar EX/Hafler P500 are superb!!! 4 of em' (1200+ W RMS EACH 8)) driven through 2 AVA Ultra hybrid phase inverters, from the Ultra Hybrid Pre-amp.  Furman conditioners and power factor correction feeds all the electronics  3 AC lines, so I don't pop the breakers.  On really cranking it I've had about 18A+ displayed current draw on the 3 Furman AC Pro-Series II line units.  Various Rane stuff etc.  Ultra DAC on order to complete it's updating.  Watts, there is no substitute for good AVA clean FAST WATTS.