what would you choose?

threadkiller

Re: what would you choose?
« Reply #40 on: 4 May 2012, 03:15 am »
I still disagree with you.
And in case you haven't noticed, this isnt Vinyl Asylum nor a VPI owners page.
This is for WTL owners and interested parties.
Or maybe you can still stay on without getting the boot and maybe learn something. :)

What's always a shame about forums is we can't collectively hear the systems or pieces that are being commented about.  I swear if you heard it properly setup, you might think differently about an Amadeus compared to others. 
The great sound always comes thru regardless of system.
I can spot a VPI or LINN as soon as it starts to play. And while I can certainly enjoy music from both, they don't serve the music as well as an Amadeus. End of discussion.

vortrex

« Reply #41 on: 4 May 2012, 03:34 am »
I've got to say, if/when I get a WTA I am expecting a pretty significant upgrade over what I have based off comments on this thread.  I made the mistake of buying a modified Rega P5 after some impressive forum boasting and that was the biggest piece of junk (in sound/build quality) that I ever had!

has anyone used a Zephyr cart on the WTA?  I've not heard of anyone doing so and I question if it will work well with the fixed mounting.  to get the right overhang that cart mounts fairly far back on the classic tonearm.

threadkiller

« Reply #42 on: 4 May 2012, 03:41 am »
Can you take it by a dealer to try?
You might send Mike Pranka an email at Dynavector USA.
Many many cartridges have been tried on the Amadeus and none have failed or had an issue that I know of.

mick wolfe

« Reply #43 on: 4 May 2012, 03:51 am »
I've got to say, if/when I get a WTA I am expecting a pretty significant upgrade over what I have based off comments on this thread.  I made the mistake of buying a modified Rega P5 after some impressive forum boasting and that was the biggest piece of junk (in sound/build quality) that I ever had!

has anyone used a Zephyr cart on the WTA?  I've not heard of anyone doing so and I question if it will work well with the fixed mounting.  to get the right overhang that cart mounts fairly far back on the classic tonearm.

I have no idea how the Zephyr compares to my SMMC2. You'd be wise to ask Peter at Soundsmith. This being said, the SMMC2 sings on my Amadeus and I don't see why the Zephyr won't either. 

vortrex

« Reply #44 on: 4 May 2012, 03:53 am »
not a huge deal if it doesn't mate well with it, but my phonostage is MM only so I would need to replace the Zephyr with something similar in output.  what MM carts have people used?

threadkiller

« Reply #45 on: 4 May 2012, 03:58 am »
Which phono stage?
I love the Cartridge Man cartridges on an Amadeus.
One of my fav mm.
Or high output Dynacector 20.

mick wolfe

« Reply #46 on: 4 May 2012, 04:02 am »
not a huge deal if it doesn't mate well with it, but my phonostage is MM only so I would need to replace the Zephyr with something similar in output.  what MM carts have people used?

No need at this time. If you go to the Soundsmith website, Peter makes a point of saying the Zephyr works with a wide variety of tonearms ...not just VPI. The range of tonearm mass (8-30) mentioned  pretty much covers all bases( arms) I'm aware of.

vortrex

« Reply #47 on: 4 May 2012, 04:04 am »
Which phono stage?
I love the Cartridge Man cartridges on an Amadeus.
One of my fav mm.
Or high output Dynacector 20.

K&K Audio Maxxed-Out

I'll check out those carts, haven't heard of the Cartridge Man.

mick wolfe

« Reply #48 on: 4 May 2012, 04:14 am »
Nothing wrong with the system I heard the tables in (ARC, Avalon).

Ex- Amadeus, VPI Aries owner.

Here to persuade the OP to keep his VPI

:lol:

To use a car anthology;

Amadeus = Porsche 911 GT3

VPI Classic = 911 Turbo.

Both Amadeus and VPI Classic have similar back-to-basics design philosophies.

Both are good.

The designs are in no way similar. Firebaugh's approach is totally unique and innovative ( way out of the box). VPI's design approach breaks no new ground by comparison. As far as the OP is concerned..... if he were happy with his Classic, he wouldn't be over here on the Well Tempered Forum. And if he was really happy with his Classic, he won't care if the Amadeus even existed.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #49 on: 4 May 2012, 11:16 am »
K&K Audio Maxxed-Out

You have a superb phono stage.......... :icon_lol:

Shakey

vortrex

« Reply #50 on: 4 May 2012, 02:32 pm »
You have a superb phono stage.......... :icon_lol:
Shakey

yeah, I am surprised that more people don't use them.  I guess kevin does no advertising or forum participation though.  I had an EAR 834P before this and the K&K handily beats it everywhere, a substantial upgrade.  my unit has the stepped attenuator option and I run it direct to my BAT VK55.

threadkiller

« Reply #51 on: 4 May 2012, 02:34 pm »
No preamp??  Oops, now we've stepped into even a bigger arena...

vortrex

« Reply #52 on: 4 May 2012, 02:36 pm »
that is correct, vinyl only rig with no pre-amp.

threadkiller

« Reply #53 on: 4 May 2012, 02:57 pm »
Well, I do like the vinyl only part  :lol:

vortrex

« Reply #54 on: 4 May 2012, 03:03 pm »
previous setup was a Cary SLI-80 with the K&K (no volume control at that point).  connected direct to the BAT is a better sound, for sure.

code4246

« Reply #55 on: 4 May 2012, 11:15 pm »
I still disagree with you.
And in case you haven't noticed, this isnt Vinyl Asylum nor a VPI owners page.
This is for WTL owners and interested parties.
Or maybe you can still stay on without getting the boot and maybe learn something. :)

I swear if you heard it properly setup, you might think differently about an Amadeus compared to others. 

Just answering the OP's query as to Simplex or Amadeus vis-a-vis VPI Classic.

You assume because I don't have the same reaction to the masses that the table I heard was not setup properly ?

You're right, this isn't VA, I thought this was a more enlightened place.

:lol:

The designs are in no way similar. Firebaugh's approach is totally unique and innovative ( way out of the box). VPI's design approach breaks no new ground by comparison. As far as the OP is concerned..... if he were happy with his Classic, he wouldn't be over here on the Well Tempered Forum. And if he was really happy with his Classic, he won't care if the Amadeus even existed.

I said their back to basics design philosophies were similar not actual design.

Do some homework on past WT, VPI tables.

Take for example their drive systems, both previous models used separate motor drive systems, both current models have discarded that for the simplicity of a motor fixed to the plinth.

What's really new on the Amadeus ?
There's nothing that hasn't been seen before on past Well Tempereds.
The real innovation is a cost-effective simplification of the original Well Tempered template.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #56 on: 4 May 2012, 11:44 pm »
Getting back on topic, I'd say Amadeus with a cheaper cartridge and then upgrade the cartridge when I could swing it.

tricka

« Reply #57 on: 5 May 2012, 12:22 am »
Gentleman please....

Both the VPI and WTL are great choices and what will appeal to one won't appeal to another: as always audition and personal preference are subjective matters.

@ Code: it is quite rude to come onto the WTL circle and start proclaiming the superiority of a VPI. Such a course will inevitably produce a negative response and is akin to trolling. Please apologise and go about your business.

My own bias, as a Simplex owner, is a Simplex with a Dyna XX2 - P75 II phono. I have this combo and find it very satisfying. I also have a 20x2 H that I like as well.

Having said that, I note the OP is on his 5th TT in the last year - so obviously something is seriously amiss....set up perhaps? or system matching? An eg RP3 can sound marvellous with the right system and cart. No need to spend a fortune for great sound.

Happy hi fi.

vortrex

« Reply #58 on: 5 May 2012, 12:29 am »
Having said that, I note the OP is on his 5th TT in the last year - so obviously something is seriously amiss....set up perhaps? or system matching?

Nope, you're wrong.  My system sounds great as it is, but isn't there always something better?  I've also got two new sets of speakers on the way.  I like experimenting.

tricka

« Reply #59 on: 5 May 2012, 12:34 am »
Oh...my apologies. No offence meant.

I suppose there is always something better - I don't know - its not really a priority for me.

Have fun.

Kind Regards