Versalex

roscoeiii

Re: Versalex
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:37 am »
$100 US + shipping.

Pitch Perfect Audio in San Francisco has them. So does Don Better Audio in Cleveland.

threadkiller

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:52 am »
Most US dealers have them, or access to.
$99 US...

SteevA

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2012, 03:30 am »
Thanks.  Will look into it after the arm surgery.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2012, 03:45 am »
Well good luck with your surgery.  Hope the medic is up to the task.

SteevA

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2012, 10:58 am »
All went well and the patient is fully recovered.  A relatively straight forward procedure but it took a long time to pour the goo from one cup to the other.

Looks like an O ring had disintegrated inside and got ground up by the thread.  Although tempted, I didn’t actually dismantle it to find out since it is wanted down in Christchurch for a post mortem.  You could see black stuff, assumed to be O ring debris, within the goo that had leaked out the bottom. 

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2012, 02:49 pm »
The goo cleans up best with mineral spirits. Otherwise smears around.
Good to hear you're sorted...now onto enjoyment.

SteevA

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jul 2012, 01:44 am »
Have Auditorium mat in place now, managed to get one locally.

A major improvement in the static department.

The A23 sounds to be better than the stock mat but I have not really compared them directly yet since the A23 is currently doing battle with some packing material I found at work and converted into a mat.  They are the same thickness so I can leave the arm at the same height to test.

The A23 and the packing material are both very good, but different.  The packing material mat seems to be better in the midrange (more articulate and fluid) but a bit splashy in the treble.  On the other hand the A23 is more controlled in the treble and maybe with more detailed bass.  Also, the packing material mat is not immune to static cling.

While waiting for the A23 to arrive I also tried out some drawer liner and that excelled with extremely well articulated bass (better than any of the others) but also killed off the treble somewhat.

Never really played with TT mats before and am finding it quite a surprise just how much difference materials, even which way up they are, make.  So far I prefer to use the A23 with the cross hatched side down as this seems to get it closer to the midrange performance of the packing material mat.

This could take a couple of weeks.

Steve

tricka

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:44 am »
The goo cleans up best with mineral spirits.

Thanks - I smeared as well.

Congrat's on the A23 - I like mine wrinkly side up! FWIW I found that my simplex improved alot by popping it on a good isolation - in my case a TAOC platform but Cloud 9 etc are all supposed to do teh job: what  have you got your (lovely) Versalex on mate?

Cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2013, 02:08 am by tricka »

threadkiller

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2012, 03:03 am »
Steve, criss cross side goes up!
Oh my... Give monkeys a new toy and see what happens..:)

SteevA

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:33 am »
Steve, criss cross side goes up!
Oh my... Give monkeys a new toy and see what happens..:)
I know.  I did try it that way up first then went and put the packing material mat back on and sat rubbing my chin for a while (that helped a lot).  So I put the A23 back on 'upside down' and immediately thought it sounded closer to what I liked about the packing material but without loosing anything in the trebble.  1/2 a record later I went to bed knowing the story was not yet told.

SteevA

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:40 am »
....... FWIW I found that my simplex improved alot by popping it on a good isolation - in my case a TAOC platform but Cloud 9 etc are all supposed to do teh job: what  have you godd your (lovely) Versalex on mate?....
I use Ronson lighter fluid to clean up the goo - as per my dealers recomendation.  Works brilliantly.

It is on the top of my DIY rack (picture is of the demo Versalex, but mine looks similar). 

That rack is pretty good isolation, or at least has proved to be for the CDP, but I do have a whole collection of 'isolation solutions' left over from various experiments I conducted before designing the rack.  I may try some of them once I settle on a mat configuration and let that imbed itself in my memory, or it will just get too confusing.

Steve

tricka

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2012, 11:20 am »
Ohhh Naim gear - excellent  :thumb:

Enjoy in good health my friend.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2013, 02:09 am by tricka »

drubin

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:37 pm »
I like the light fixture you have on the top of the rack.  Do you have manufacturer/model info by any chance?

SteevA

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jul 2012, 07:21 am »
I like the light fixture you have on the top of the rack.  Do you have manufacturer/model info by any chance?
I got it from a lighting shop down town.  I don't really know much about it as it was on display on their front counter when I went in to look for bathroom lights and I just decided to buy it.  There were several different configurations, some involving multiple LEDs.  I think they are designed mainly for illuminaing shop displays.  They may be called stem lights.

Steve

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2012, 06:39 pm »
The goo cleans up best with mineral spirits. Otherwise smears around.
Good to hear you're sorted...now onto enjoyment.

I spent probably the first couple days with my Amadeus just trying to clean up little goo trails.......ha

skillianplankm

« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:50 am »
Maybe I missed something that has been covered here or somewhere like here before, but, in my online research on the Versalex, it appears as though neither welltemperedlab.net nor dynavector-usa.com have mentioned it.  Would someone guide me in the right direction on that?  I do not want to assume anything.

Apologize if I took this thread in the wrong direction.

Steve

fishfood

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jan 2013, 04:27 am »
I'm late to this topic but I just went from a stand to a wall shelf and my Simplex perked up immediately.