DIY Guitar Amp Kits?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
DIY Guitar Amp Kits?
« on: 14 Feb 2019, 02:04 am »
Does anyone have an experience with them?  Which are the ones to try? 

Folsom

Re: DIY Guitar Amp Kits?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2019, 02:37 am »
I would get one modeled after a famous vintage one, if you like that sound.

They show you where to run wires and stuff, not so much "here's a schematic", and they seem to use pegs you attach leads to and run wires, not so much PCB boards.

They probably are the best route to save a bundle of $ and have a good result. I've got an unassembled kit. It belong to my boss from 3 years ago who has literally never given me any information to finish it... he told me he'd call several times. Perhaps I'll assemble it how I want to give it to him as a surprise, since he just doesn't pay attention.

If you decide to buy one you can PM me about doing a little something special to make it be a power source that makes all the gear sound superb. I've been thinking about this for awhile...

gab

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:39 pm »
Jason - watch this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMb17u1GRmo

If you are interested in trying this, PM me. I have a J.W. Davis amp in great condition just like the one in the video (I'm no guitarist so it just sitting there taking up space).

gab

phleeb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:21 pm »
I have a Heathkit guitar amp that my dad and I built many years ago in the seventies.  Still works!  It has tremelo and reverb.