How to Fix my Sennheiser 580's please help.

warnerwh

How to Fix my Sennheiser 580's please help.
« on: 22 Sep 2006, 04:09 am »
One channel on my headphones is not working. I've not tried to take them apart but any advice on repairing them would be appreciated. I don't know what happened as I loaned them out and they came back that way. Thank You

R_burke

Re: How to Fix my Sennheiser 580's please help.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2006, 05:02 am »
9 out 10 times this is due to a bad cable or connector, it's common with Sennheiser, especially the 580s.  The same thing happened to mine and initially I spent a lot of time messing with the tubes on my headphone amp, but it turned out to be the cable.

If you are using a mini to 1/4 adapter get a new one.  If that doesn't help get another cable, you can get replacement cables from Sennheiser or an upgrade from Cardas, headphile, or several other places.  I went with an upgraded cable from Cardas and then went one step further with a set of woodies from headphile and I'm really happy with the results.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2006, 01:58 pm »
You can also try swapping the cable from ear to ear. They plug into the bottom of each earpiece and if the failed channel follows the cable you will be sure a new cable will take care of it.

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2006, 02:35 pm »

Be aware, though, that pulling out the cables and putting them back into the HD580 can itself cause problems (and may be the source of your current problem, if someone was doing this).  The prongs at the end of the cables go into the phones, but are held in place by a pretty flimsy piece of coiled wire.  It's pretty easy for this wire to lose its shape, in which case the cable won't make a proper connection to the headphones and the offending channel will drop out.  This is fixed pretty easily, though.

Chad

Thump553

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2006, 02:17 pm »
I have to replace the cables on my Senn 600s every year or so (extremely heavy use, and not so gentle kid uses them too).  It uses the same cable as the 580, and is $17.93 at Sennheiserusa.com plus shipping.  They have been extremely fast in shipping to me (no huge surprise, they are within 10 miles of my home) and excellent email communications, etc.

Buy two-one for a spare.  Here's the link:

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=081435

PS-I think the cable comes with a mini to 1/4 adapter now.  I'm accumulating a lot of spares of those.

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:26 am »
Thank you guys for the help. I just received the extra cable and that wasn't the problem. I assumed it must be as I just bought this 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. Unfortunately it must be the adapter that is bad. That's what I get for assuming. At least having a spare cable must be a good idea however.