Is it difficult to re-cover a Tri Trap?

veloceleste

Is it difficult to re-cover a Tri Trap?
« on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:31 am »
Hi,
Has only one tried recovering a Tri-Trap? I have the opportunity to pick up a used pair and one is stained. The price is right though. Thanks for any guidance.

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Is it difficult to re-cover a Tri Trap?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2018, 01:26 pm »
I recovered two of them a while back. I bought some speaker grill material from parts-express.com which i figured was as sonically transparent as anything. As I had two of them and planned on stacking one on top of the other, I didn't need to be perfectly neat on the ends. Very simple process though.

veloceleste

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2018, 01:54 pm »
Thanks! Did you have to remove the top and bottom or is it a simple wrap around and staple? My upholstery skills are only fair. I've  recovered my share of speaker grills in the past and have done some seat cushions too.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2018, 04:37 pm »
I would remove the top and bottom so you have that flat surface again when you are done. It's really just a matter of removing all the old staples and then starting over with the new material.

I've found the fastest way to remove staples is to take a small chisel or something sharp with a handle and slightly dig under the staple, then lift up. Then just grab the staple with any type of pliers or sire cutters to pull them out. It is tedious and my least favorite part. If it didn't need to be transparent I would probably cover over the old cloth, it's a lot easier.

Greg

veloceleste

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2018, 11:33 pm »
If possible I'll remove the fabric in one piece so I know how much I'll need to recover and also get an idea of where the creases and folds should go. Maybe I'll check to see if GIK sells replacement fabric or has  remnants. If not, maybe I'll try and source some of Maine fabric.

Hipper

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2018, 04:23 pm »
The end panels on my Soffit Traps are glued on. I had to put them back on and used a hot glue gun but it wasn't an easy or perfect way of doing the job. Also take precautions when removing the covering cloth as I found the stuff inside irritating.

I presume the stains are impossible to remove or hide?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2018, 04:36 pm »
Thanks! Did you have to remove the top and bottom or is it a simple wrap around and staple? My upholstery skills are only fair. I've  recovered my share of speaker grills in the past and have done some seat cushions too.

I didn't remove the original cover; simply wrapped the speaker grill cloth over the original. The front of the trap looked perfect. Can't say the same for the back, but it's tucked in the corner, so not seen.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2018, 06:42 pm »
When I took my ends off I went ahead and cleaned off the original glue they were put on with. That way you get a flatter surface to work with. I think it was hot glue since it was thick and clear. I glued mine back on with "grab it" glue which is thick and sticks fairly well. You could wrap the new cloth over the old, it probably wouldn't matter but using the old piece as a pattern is probably a good idea.

veloceleste

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2018, 09:24 pm »
Thanks for the tips. The marks are mildew. The traps were stored in a musty closet for a while. I tried Tuff Stuff which is an automotive product that I have had success with and some thing called folex which is a commercial carpet stain remover. Neither worked. I may just throw the material in the washing machine on gentle and air dry. I have to remove it anyway so why not give that a try. If it works I'll just reinstall.