Tyson's Line Force Review

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Tyson's Line Force Review
« on: 3 Jan 2020, 04:27 am »

Preamble
Had a chance to visit Danny recently and spent a few days listening to ALL the most recent OB offerings and thought I'd write up separate reviews for each of them.  This review is for the Line Force line array speakers.

Initial Impressions
OK, the main event.  This speaker is the bigger brother to my favorite speaker of all time - the incredible Super 7 which I have at home.  How will they compare? Hint - I wish I had a lot more $$ to spend on new speakers.....

Listening Notes
I'll just state flat out that this is the best speaker I've heard in my life.  And not by a little.  It beats my prior reference (the Super 7) in every area I can think of.  And in some areas it best the Super 7 by a LOT.  So the bar has been moved, the state of the art re-defined.  At least for me.  There were a few characteristics that really stood out that made this speaker special, IMO. 

First is the imaging.  I rarely use the term "holographic" when talking about a speaker because that term never applies.  I've never heard a speaker that is truly holographic.  Until now. 

Next is scale.  The ability of this speaker to scale up to a massive presentation was jaw dropping.  But that wasn't the best part.  No, the BEST part is that while it's going hell bent for leather, there's still a beauty, a delicacy to the sound that most speakers never attain period, let alone when going at full cry. 

Finally, power.  The sense of effortless power, especially in the lower mids and upper bass is finally at "best in the world level".  That's the one area where my Super 7's fall down - they are good there but not world class.  The Line Force just tosses off big male vocals like it's nothing.  Thrown in the perfect integration with the servo sub bass and we're talking a speaker that top to bottom has no weaknesses. 

OK, now I'm officially ruined.  Half of me wishes I'd never heard the the damned things because I cannot get their sound out of my head now. 

And, like the NX-Treme and the NX-Ottica Towers, the Line Force should not be run without the servo controlled open baffle subs.

Amplifier note - finally my poor First Watt BA3 has a chance to shine!  We found the BA3 to be a much better match to the planar midrange on this speaker than the Elekit Japan 300b amp.  Weird, right?  But there it is.

Edit to add:  And lest you think I am crazy or biased, here is a link to the recent visit by New Record Day to GR Research where they talk about this speaker in detail and confirm everything I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgoR2PLEZsk
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2020, 05:54 pm by Tyson »

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Tyson's Line Force Review
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2020, 04:33 am »
The best speakers for me have usually been tall open baffles. I hope Danny is able to make this as affordable as possible so we mere mortals will be able to own them one day.

Rocket Ronny

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2020, 04:40 am »
I would have to agree with your assessment Tyson, I heard the first set a little over 3 years ago and couldn't get the sound out of my head. Fortunately I was able to get down to Danny's ~ a month ago to hear the new version with the composite cabinets as well as the upgraded x-overs, truly world class, I might have to build a set??

Don

kheidenr

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:12 am »
Thank you Tyson for all your reviews today - this was incredibly helpful!!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:45 am »
I got to hear the originals at Danny's also and everything Tyson says is fact, not hyperbole.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:56 am »
"OK, now I'm officially ruined.  Half of me wishes I'd never heard the the damned things because I cannot get their sound out of my head now.  "
That was my experience as well.       But there is good news.        Your Super 7's will start to sound awesome again... in time.
I like how you mentioned power. They have the detail of the Sevens but more, the power of the LS9s but more, and just an accuracy and ease regardless of the music type or venue.  Your evaluation is spot on.  I've never heard anything like them.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2020, 07:06 am »
 :D. So what do they cost ?   :D

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2020, 07:59 am »
:D. So what do they cost ?   :D

Mucho.

maty

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2020, 08:05 am »
Resized, clarified (too dark to see dtails) and optimized

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2020, 12:49 pm »
Tyson,

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to hearing these some day. I've listened to the NX Otica's with triple 12 inch OB sub pair numerous times on various amplifiers as well.

Best,
Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2020, 04:38 pm »
Mucho.
Can you define exactly what that is?

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:16 pm »
Can you define exactly what that is?

I can't - Danny will have to say.

Jaytor

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:35 pm »
Do you know approximately what the crossover point is to the OB subs?

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:58 pm »
Do you know approximately what the crossover point is to the OB subs?

Pretty sure it's 200hz just like the Super 7.

RonP

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2020, 06:05 pm »
Tyson,

Question for you.. and maybe Danny will need to weigh in too.

Before my speaker search lead me to GR, I was talking to a manufacturer of speakers and he was telling me about this weird effect that sometimes happens.
He said that with speakers that are really tall ( ala Maggies + others ), you can get this weird presentation effect "where the mouths of the singers seem 6ft tall"
(In quotes but I'm paraphrasing from memory).

I was wondering if you encountered any of this with the Line forces?

Tyson

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2020, 06:10 pm »
Tyson,

Before my speaker search lead me to GR, I was talking to a manufacturer of speakers and he was telling me about this weird effect that sometimes happens.
He said that with speakers that are really tall ( ala Maggies + others ), you can get this weird presentation effect "where the mouths of the singers seem 6ft tall"
(In quotes but I'm paraphrasing from memory).

I was wondering if you encountered any of this with the Line forces?

Nope, not even once.  Everything was life sized just like it's supposed to be. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2020, 06:13 pm »
Tyson,

In my experience that has a lot more to do with the recording than the speakers.

RonP

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2020, 06:17 pm »
I'm also wondering if it has a lot to do with there being physically separate speakers being used as one speaker. They are segmented out and acting as one vs one actual tall driver per say.

Cool. Thanks all!

:thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2020, 06:17 pm »
The Line Force speaker has been my reference since Scott and I heatd them at Dannys ld room..  Tyson now understands the listening experience with them.  It bests my memory of hearing the IRS Reference V speakers in a large room.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2020, 07:07 pm »
Now that is saying something.

Rocket Ronny