Tyson's Line Force Review

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Tyson's Line Force Review
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2020, 07:22 pm »
Are the drivers available today ? Are those Duelund crossover parts or Danny's ? Thanks.

charles

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2020, 09:21 pm »
Thanks for the reviews Tyson, I’ve not heard these but sat in several rooms you were in at a couple of RMAF’s so I know your listening experiences. Would love to know the cost and they look like they have a high WAF (the subs mine would just have to live with)

Badd99

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2020, 02:29 am »
I talked to Danny... Sounds like kits are going to be around $12k

DeeJayBump

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jan 2020, 02:53 am »
IIRC, when these [Line Force] were going to be offered by Serenity the 1st time around [before the Christy Digital acquisition of BG] the estimated or target price for them [with two stacks of OB triple 12s] was going to be in the $40-50K range. Who knows what if any bearing that will have on what they will cost now.

If mentioning this is out of line, forgive me, and I will gladly remove it if desired.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 4 Jan 2020, 03:24 am »
I can't - Danny will have to say.
Well, what's the plan Danny? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jan 2020, 03:51 am »
BG Neo 10's have not been available since last summer. I have been working on a new Neo 10 since about that time.

I have had several sets of samples sent over for evaluation, but they have not made the cut yet. I am currently awaiting a new set of samples as per my latest requirements.

Until there is in house stock of drivers these great designs will continue to be unavailable.

madsry

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jan 2020, 05:49 am »
When these do become available, how large of a space do you think they could adequately fill?  I have an interesting business idea that would need a truly remarkable sound system to succeed.

I would obviously need to add servo subs to taste, but..

kingdeezie

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jan 2020, 03:56 pm »
I talked to Danny... Sounds like kits are going to be around $12k

Is that just the drivers and the crossovers? Or is that the baffles as well? The servos are separate?

renbo

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jan 2020, 05:01 pm »
Looking forward to notification as to when these become available.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jan 2020, 06:17 pm »
Is that just the drivers and the crossovers? Or is that the baffles as well? The servos are separate?

That was the price of just the cabinets for the Line Forces and the basic parts (no upgrades). That doesn't include the servo subs. And i don't know what I'll have to pay for the new Neo 10's if I can get them built correctly. So it could be higher than that.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jan 2020, 06:20 pm »

That is an estimate of the Line Force / Super LS   kit  which will include the  composite cabinets. Subs  are  separate but  we've got cabinet kits available for them as well.  Danny's got  the  driver/amp kits for the subs available  on   the GR Research  website.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2020, 06:35 pm »
Are the drivers available today ? Are those Duelund crossover parts or Danny's ? Thanks.

charles

Charles,  those  are  the new copper  caps Danny is carrying.

jay

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #32 on: 4 Jan 2020, 07:39 pm »
  Thanks Jay, thought so just wanted to make sure so everyone was aware of that. Everything makes a difference.

charles

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan 2020, 07:42 pm »
Particularly those caps which have made a profound difference to Jay's Super 7's

Don

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #34 on: 7 Jan 2020, 02:58 pm »
Question for Danny, or anyone else who would know.

In a line source, as you go higher, or lower, along the speaker height the drivers get farther away from the ear. With the Line Force this might be as much as 6” if you had them close, 7 feet away. You would think this would really affect performance in frequency response - which can be designed for, but it’s the smearing of the initial attack and coherence I wonder about.

Has anyone tried phisically time aligning a line source? That would mean aligning the drivers along the ear to speaker radius? If so, did it make a big difference? How did the back wave hitting the floor and ceiling affect things?  Thanks.

Rocket Ronny

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jan 2020, 11:57 pm »
Question for Danny, or anyone else who would know.

In a line source, as you go higher, or lower, along the speaker height the drivers get farther away from the ear. With the Line Force this might be as much as 6” if you had them close, 7 feet away. You would think this would really affect performance in frequency response - which can be designed for, but it’s the smearing of the initial attack and coherence I wonder about.

Has anyone tried phisically time aligning a line source? That would mean aligning the drivers along the ear to speaker radius? If so, did it make a big difference? How did the back wave hitting the floor and ceiling affect things?  Thanks.

Rocket Ronny

What happens when you move the mic up or down (or your ear) is that you get little +/-2db ripples across the top end. Changing height changes the location of the peaks and dips, but a constant average is maintained.

It does not cause a smearing effect.

Physically aligning the drivers does not work out very well as it will only align them to one point in space (a small one). And then if the distance changes or vertical height changes then it throws everything off.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #36 on: 8 Jan 2020, 12:31 am »
Thanks for that explanation.

So is Wilson wasting their time with their adjustable time alignment?

Would you say the Mini's and Line Force offer an ultra transparent window into the music?

And, what are the minimum distances from the two speakers recommended. Thanks

Rocket Ronny

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #37 on: 8 Jan 2020, 12:40 am »
Thanks for that explanation.

Would you say the Mini's and Line Force offer an ultra transparent window into the music?

And, what are the minimum distances from the two speakers recommended. Thanks

Rocket Ronny

I tested the Super Mini re: how close you could get - it was about 3 feet, then the imaging broke up. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 8 Jan 2020, 12:49 am »
The rule of thumb for a line array is that you need to be at least the length of the line array away from the speaker for good sound.  More distance is better.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #39 on: 8 Jan 2020, 01:32 am »
Thanks guys.

I have heard great results with 8' tall Acoustat 1+1s at 6 feet away.

Rocket Ronny