AV1-RS cross over build.

Theronbo

AV1-RS cross over build.
« on: 24 Dec 2021, 07:09 pm »
Not built a cross over circuit before…

The parts were all there … just not labeled & no pictures with th3 parts list…

Confused the 2k resistor with the 0.2uF caps

Anyway… built it and both the drivers make noise….

Not sure if my photos are clear enough to tell if I screwed up… limit mount  oars to 4” wide … size of woofer mount hole.

Overhead view

Side view…

Cup connects on left… drivers on right.

Used one wire nut where 3 wires connected.  Devised a better way… though I think wire nuts make a very good connection.

Doublej

Re: AV1-RS cross over build.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2021, 02:43 am »
Don't know but here is your schematic and build video...except I did not see any resistors in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFC3IAFCfX0

Theronbo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2021, 03:56 am »
Thanks Duoblej…

Appprecite the response.

He lays out hid components a bit different… but never installs the ‘through path’ for the pos & neg lines…

I noticed he blacked out the values on the components… hmmm, didn’t think about that.

The schematic he had is definitely missing 2k ohm resistor.

But, mine kinda jives with the part physical sizes… so, I’m guessing I got it right.

Noticed when he solders… he just heats the solder on the iron & dribbles it on the work… I was taught to heat the work & apply solder directly to the work… this to avoid ‘cold solders”.

nadirmg

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2021, 04:17 am »
Don't know but here is your schematic and build video...except I did not see any resistors in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFC3IAFCfX0

Holy crap. Nice find. I wish there was one of those for the NX Studio!

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2021, 01:23 pm »
The design may have changed slightly if you just got your kits since they're supposedly using an updated tweeter.   Mine are the earlier kits which match the video posted (which I didn't know existed until now).   Here are my completed crossovers for comparison.

Theronbo

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2021, 03:42 am »
Vince in Texas

Nice build… they’re pretty… took me by the 3rd board to realize putting connections on the board was stupid & to just wire directly to the cup & drivers.

Theronbo

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2022, 05:31 am »

Finished my AV-1RS build. Sound good. Decent pair of bookshelf speakers by themselves. I replaced my X-Statiks with these for a bit of listening. Wasn’t horrible… not near the fullness or frequency range… but crisp & clear… a little bright.

I used the flat packs for cabinets… beautiful job.  Glue up real easy.

Used no res inside… makes fitting the crossover a bit tight…

Tried to keep the coils away from the m130 magnet.

Paint with a brush.

Used ‘sanding sealer’ then latex primer. 2 coats of Sherwin Williams best trim paint. 

Sand between each coat. & with final coat touch tip of brush in water & bush over… thins the paint so no brush marks. No finish or sealer. I’m treating the speakers as a bit of room trim.

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2022, 03:13 pm »
That brightness you're hearing should diminish after break-in.   It took about 60-80 hours minimum in mine for them to start stretching out.   Now I have over 200 hours on them and they sound amazing.   Before they we're broken in, I was watching Batman Begins, and the gunshots when his parents were killed almost burst my ear drum (at least that's what it felt like).   That's when I fired up "frybaby - burn-in.MP3" and let it run for two days straight.   Watch your volume levels with this, though.   One of my tweeters didn't survive the break-in and had to be replaced.

Good luck!   Those look amazing!    :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm »
Finished my AV-1RS build. Sound good. Decent pair of bookshelf speakers by themselves. I replaced my X-Statiks with these for a bit of listening. Wasn’t horrible… not near the fullness or frequency range… but crisp & clear… a little bright.

A little bright would be an understatement if listening to them on axis. The tweeter level is about 5db louder than the woofer if you are sitting in front of them.

For the frequency response to be balanced you have to be below the driver level and the highs are attenuated by reflecting off of the wall and ceiling.

Theronbo

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2022, 02:51 pm »
Yes, of course Danny is correct.

I got the speakers mounted on front wall…

Then configured AV receiver for the as speakers B

I could then switch back & forth between the. X-Statiks & AV 1RS’

Pretty dramatic.

Interestingly, when on the floor as A speakers… when listening in Dolby ATMOS mode… very little difference… demonstrating how heavily the center speaker is weighted in surround sound.