The inventor of the cassette tape passes away

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
The inventor of the cassette tape passes away
« on: 12 Mar 2021, 12:35 am »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/europe/lou-ottens-dies-scli-intl/index.html

I'm sure whoever dreamed up the 8 track will outlive us all out of spite.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: The inventor of the cassette tape passes away
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2021, 12:52 am »
Thanks for the note/link Steve.  And "Thanks" Mr. Ottens for all the hours of enjoyment. RIP

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2021, 12:55 am »
Wonder what media he was listening in his home?
RIP

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2021, 03:53 am »
Hey!

Cassette tape was a big part of my life since I was born and grew up in the 80's and 90's.

I was born in Thailand and cassette was the popular format. It was much cheaper than vinyl and more portable. I literally grew up with the format, remembering my father buying new album on cassettes. Play them at home and take them on the road playing them in the car. And of course as a teens in the '90s here in NYC. I remembered making mix tapes to play at home and with Sony Walkman for on the go.

Anyway, I still have some old cassettes that I grew up with that I need to transfer them on to CD.

Buddy

Donald

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2021, 12:31 pm »
Grew up during the 8 track and cassette era. When I purchased my Sony TC 203SD cassette player for home use to transfer some of my albums from LP to tape, I was shocked at the sound quality difference of my transfers vs the commercial bought tapes of the same albums. All of this was coming from a mid priced cassette recorder. I say mid priced, although $400 was a lot of money for a college student. This format served me well through the years. Still have it set up in my vintage rack system.

RIP Mr. Ottens

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2021, 03:43 am »
Grew up during the 8 track and cassette era. When I purchased my Sony TC 203SD cassette player for home use to transfer some of my albums from LP to tape, I was shocked at the sound quality difference of my transfers vs the commercial bought tapes of the same albums. All of this was coming from a mid priced cassette recorder. I say mid priced, although $400 was a lot of money for a college student. This format served me well through the years. Still have it set up in my vintage rack system.

RIP Mr. Ottens

Hey!

Yes, cassette can sound very good indeed. The problem with commercial prerecorded cassette beside using type I tape, is that they are dubbing at high speed. And I've heard that in the mid '90s on they are dubbed from digital file also.

Talk about sound quality of rerecorded cassette. A few years ago I was at flea market here in NYC and there was a box full of cassettes, look like the sell just tossed them in. I went through it and found Vivaldi's Four Season with Iona Brown and Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. Although I've never heard this version before but since this is one of my all time favorite classical piece and it was only $1 I can't see why not. I play it and I love Iona Brown performance! And the sound was great nice and full. So, I thought I should find an LP of this version, thinking LP will sound better. So, I got it and to my surprise the LP sounds thinner and the bass seems rolled off! So, yes cassettes can sound very good.

Anyway, I hope that Mr. Ottens know that some new albums in recent years are available on cassette again. I'm actually surprised by that.

Buddy 

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2021, 03:24 am »
Hey!

Well, this is interesting. Too bad Mr. Ottens is gone but I'm sure he'll probably get a chuckle out of this one...

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/cassette-only-reissue-series-april-30th-recordingthemaster-and-thinkindie-distribution

Buddy