Norman Lab speakers

rhibbing

• Audio collector
Norman Lab speakers
« on: 5 Apr 2020, 11:17 pm »
Anyone familiar with Norman Labs? I own Model 8 and 10's and looking for Model 9's. Like the build quality and the Credence woofers and Phillips tweeters. Beautiful cabinets and great sound to my ears. Bought my 1st pair the 8's in 1980 and luckily found a pair of 10's close to me 5 years ago. Interested in others experiences. Thanks Rick

mflaming

Re: Norman Lab speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2021, 07:31 pm »
this thread is almost a year old and i just found it.

I picked up a pair of first gen model 7's last year at a yard sale. I did some minor restoration work and played them for a while. They sound nice, but have issues with the tweeters. Two are blown and one of the remaining is on the way out. They reinvigorated my interest in the hifi hobby and I'm contemplating replacing the antiquated dual tweeter with a single. I'd have to design a crossover, so the project is on the back burner for now. They have a nice walnut veneer and i like the old school look. 

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2021, 07:41 pm »

dynaflo

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2021, 02:10 am »
I lived in Norman, Ok where these were designed and built.  I bought a pair of 7's in about 1973 and a pair of 9's in 1978.  I owned the 9's until about 1998.  The man that started Norman Lab's had a stereo store in Norman and started manufacturing the speakers.  They were quite popular in this area. I even went out to the factory to tour where they were built.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2021, 02:34 am »
I went to school at Oklahoma State from 76-81.   I loved the sound of Norman Lab's speakers. They were very popular on campus.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2021, 04:21 am »
my first high end speaker.

dynaflo

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2021, 11:10 am »
I went to school at Oklahoma State from 76-81.   I loved the sound of Norman Lab's speakers. They were very popular on campus.
I'm heading to Stillwater shortly for a bicycle gravel ride today.