Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

deuter

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #240 on: 12 Apr 2020, 10:07 pm »
I've settled on the Brimar 5r4gy as my main rectifier. I love the sweet mid range and the revealing texture. I'll probably continue to occasionally rotate in the others for variety. It's kind of like wine in that the flavors vary and variety is the spice of life. :D  I bi amp my mains and have three subs. I can tweak the woofers and tweeters to somewhat account for the various perceived weaknesses in the tubes. I tried to like the stock tube but in my system it came across as a little too bright, busy and metallic. Maybe I didn't give it long enough break in but I doubt that I would still like it even after 200 hrs.

I would recommend giving the stock tubes some further burning in.
I find the stock tubes anything but bright.
What are you now using for output tubes?

As for the Brimar rectifier, does it really make a difference? I got the RCA 5u4 from Garry.
Have you tried the brown base Mullard CV378?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #241 on: 12 Apr 2020, 10:28 pm »
I suspect that there's about 20 hours on the stock rectifier. It would have to change drastically to get the mid range I desire. Of course, all this is system dependent along with personal taste. If you like stock recti,  the Bendix 5852 is an interesting tube. I'm tempted to play with it more. You have to flip the switch because its also a 6V rectifier. To me it seemed like a little more refined 6Z5.  Maybe one of these days I'll give the stock one some more hours.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #242 on: 12 Apr 2020, 10:57 pm »
OK, I inserted the stock rectifier and will let it burn in some more. You and Jack D seem to be sold on it so I'll give it another chance. :green:
 It's been a long time since I changed the output tubes. I'm running some ECC88s that I got used and most of the logo is worn off so I'm not sure exactly what they are but they're from Holland, similar to Bugle Boys and they sound great. I already have done a stint of rolling output tubes.
I've found that the new Stage III board more sensitive to different tubes that the old Stage I.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2020, 12:26 am by rajacat »

deuter

« Reply #243 on: 13 Apr 2020, 03:23 am »
OK, I inserted the stock rectifier and will let it burn in some more. You and Jack D seem to be sold on it so I'll give it another chance. :green:
 It's been a long time since I changed the output tubes. I'm running some ECC88s that I got used and most of the logo is worn off so I'm not sure exactly what they are but they're from Holland, similar to Bugle Boys and they sound great. I already have done a stint of rolling output tubes.
I've found that the new Stage III board more sensitive to different tubes that the old Stage I.

That will probably be the Amperex 6922’s
Have you got a picture?

JackD

« Reply #244 on: 13 Apr 2020, 04:46 am »
rajacat

I'm not talking about the stock rectifier but rather the stock output tubes.  I only used the stock rectifier about 20 hours on the Mk I while it was warming up initially.  Have never used it on the Mk. III.  I use mostly a Blackburn Mullard 5AR4 as a rectifier but periodically swap in an RCA 5AS4 or 5R4.  I have one of the "famous" Phillips 5R4GYS rectifiers but never warmed up to it. Also tried a Tung Sol NOS GZ5 but in the end decided to stick with the 5 volt rectifiers and the supplied output tubes.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #245 on: 13 Apr 2020, 07:28 pm »
That will probably be the Amperex 6922’s
Have you got a picture?
Yeah, I found the old AC ad. They're PC88 Siemens Halske made in Germany . Mine don't have the gold pins though. Sorry about the poor photo. They're in my DAC now and I don't want to disturb them until I'm ready to roll. BTW I'm still burning in the stock rectifier and yes,  now it sounds better. The verdict is still out on rectifiers; I keep adjusting my opinion. :scratch:

deuter

« Reply #246 on: 13 Apr 2020, 08:28 pm »
Yeah, I found the old AC ad. They're PC88 Siemens Halske made in Germany . Mine don't have the gold pins though. Sorry about the poor photo. They're in my DAC now and I don't want to disturb them until I'm ready to roll. BTW I'm still burning in the stock rectifier and yes,  now it sounds better. The verdict is still out on rectifiers; I keep adjusting my opinion. :scratch:

I understand the Siemens are a little brighter than the Amperex .
It’s a good balanced tube, I’ve not heard it but it’s definitely a special tube for sure.

deuter

« Reply #247 on: 14 Apr 2020, 10:37 am »
I will soon get to try the Gold Lion 6922’s hope will like it as the stock tubes are so nice already.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #248 on: 14 Apr 2020, 01:08 pm »
try the sovtek (not eh ) 6h30pi

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #249 on: 16 Apr 2020, 08:11 pm »
I would recommend giving the stock tubes some further burning in.
I find the stock tubes anything but bright.
What are you now using for output tubes?

As for the Brimar rectifier, does it really make a difference? I got the RCA 5u4 from Garry.
Have you tried the brown base Mullard CV378?
After a number of hours I decided that the stock rectifier is not for me. Too bright for my rig. The Brimar is back in and sounding better and better with more hours. The Brimar has what I would call great lush detail with an excellent holographic sound stage. Some may say that it's too lush but in my system with 110 db compression tweeters/ 18" wave guide, I have detail to spare.

deuter

« Reply #250 on: 17 Apr 2020, 03:22 am »
After a number of hours I decided that the stock rectifier is not for me. Too bright for my rig. The Brimar is back in and sounding better and better with more hours. The Brimar has what I would call great lush detail with an excellent holographic sound stage. Some may say that it's too lush but in my system with 110 db compression tweeters/ 18" wave guide, I have detail to spare.

We’re not using stock rectifier either.
What we were referring to were the stock output tubes.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #251 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:40 am »
Hah! Much ado about nothing. :green:

deuter

« Reply #252 on: 17 Apr 2020, 09:26 pm »
I replaced the stock output tubes today and the level of detail and desperation has improved while maintaining the same tonal balance and bass energy.
I replaced the tubes with Gold Lion 6922’s on Garry’s advise.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #253 on: 17 Apr 2020, 09:47 pm »
I just bought 3 more rectifiers :roll:. Definitely audionervosa has entrapped me. I got these at a very good price. :)
Mullard GZ32 5V4 CV 593
RCA 5RU4G Black plate
5c3s Russian Winged/C

I now have a stash of at least 10 compatible rectifiers.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #254 on: 17 Apr 2020, 09:49 pm »
I replaced the stock output tubes today and the level of detail and desperation has improved while maintaining the same tonal balance and bass energy.
I replaced the tubes with Gold Lion 6922’s on Garry’s advise.
I'll be interested on your opinion on the Gold Lions. It would be great to have a high quality new production valve.

Paopawdecarabao

« Reply #255 on: 19 Apr 2020, 06:55 pm »
Hi,

I stumble upon this dac with the newest version but I am not sure which chip to get? Is the  ESS ES9038PRO or AKM 4990 better? I am looking to pair it with my Blusound Node 2i using a Klipsch Forte iii speakers and a Line Magnetic 805ia SET Tube Amp.

My system mostly my analog are all tubes even my universal player has a modwright mod LX500 and looking for a DAC that has tube output stage.

Any recommendations for the MP Tube Dac?

deuter

« Reply #256 on: 19 Apr 2020, 09:02 pm »
Hi,

I stumble upon this dac with the newest version but I am not sure which chip to get? Is the  ESS ES9038PRO or AKM 4990 better? I am looking to pair it with my Blusound Node 2i using a Klipsch Forte iii speakers and a Line Magnetic 805ia SET Tube Amp.

My system mostly my analog are all tubes even my universal player has a modwright mod LX500 and looking for a DAC that has tube output stage.

Any recommendations for the MP Tube Dac?

I would ask Garry directly, contact him via the website.I recently bought mine and was advised to get the Sabre chip as it’s significantly more detailed without sounding dry.

Paopawdecarabao

« Reply #257 on: 19 Apr 2020, 09:59 pm »
I would ask Garry directly, contact him via the website.I recently bought mine and was advised to get the Sabre chip as it’s significantly more detailed without sounding dry.

I have emailed him directly from the website already. Awaiting for a reply. The AKM 4990 from my Pioneer LX500 doesn't sounds good for me. It sucks that I can't use it as a DAC. It has no Audio inputs.

I am thinking just to get a Sabre Chip so I can A/B test them, the DAC would use mostly for streaming from my Node 2i.

nikonf

« Reply #258 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:55 am »
I am still trying to get a good balance between the 6922 Garry suggested. Good recordings sound good.
Bad recordings sound too harsh, bright etc.

I am going to try Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi GOLD PINS. I also have a Bugle Boy  from the 1960s.6DJ8

Thanks,
Mike

yakbob

« Reply #259 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:31 pm »

Rajacat, I use a couple different 5U4G rectifiers in my MK2. First (stupid) question if you don't mind. Do you notice any performance difference in the MP-D2 5R4GY? Is it compatible? I understand they have a different current draw than the 5U4G.

I've read that people love the Brimar for their lush sound, I'm wondering if you can provide any further thoughts on its performance in this DAC. I'd be curious to try one. Thanks!