GIK Tri Trap question

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
GIK Tri Trap question
« on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:03 am »
Should the Tri Traps be installed flush in the corners or a few inches out for better performance perhaps?

And...I can't resist, what is the approximate break in time for GIK room treatments?  :lol:

Anand  :thumb:

orthobiz

Re: GIK Tri Trap question
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2009, 11:58 am »
I don't know right or wrong, but here's what I did:
My room has ceilings just UNDER 8 feet high, so I ordered regular 4 foot TriTraps with a 3 foot custom on top. I have a floor molding, so the bottom trap is as flush as possible (to the molding) and the 3 footer on top is set back slightly, almost flush with the wall. Works well, doesn't look bad, seems pretty stable.

Pics:

Paul

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2009, 12:56 pm »

And...I can't resist, what is the approximate break in time for GIK room treatments?  :lol:

Anand  :thumb:

Now that's funny.  :icon_lol:
But won't be surprised to see someone answer "500 hours."
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2009, 02:33 pm by timind »

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2009, 01:16 pm »
You can speed up the break-in by playing bass-heavy tracks in an endless loop.   :D

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2009, 02:42 pm »
Plus, no sooner had I uttered the word that I wanted to order my TriTraps...they were at my doorstep! Less than a week, including the custom work.

Paul

Vaughan

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2009, 03:07 pm »
Sorry to interrupt, but orthobiz, what are your impressions of the tri-traps ? Was it a night and day difference in the bass ? Please share your experiences as I've just ordered 4 tri-traps among other panels from GIK and I can't wait to have them installed. Thanks.

Regards,

Rob S.

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:06 pm »
Good ?,   I had the same one and Glenn told me they could be flush up to the corner or up to a few inches ( 3" ) pulled out.  I believe he told me they tested them pulled out a little too and found no loss of effectiveness.  Here's mine:   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1156&pos=35

Note the right bottom TRI Trap is somewhat covering the outlet and the power cord connector keeps it from being flush.  I love my Tri Traps,  the turn around time on the custom sized TRI's were very fast and standard delivery took 2 days. 

Rob S.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2009, 01:00 pm »
Good ?,   I had the same one and Glenn told me they could be flush up to the corner or up to a few inches ( 3" ) pulled out.  I believe he told me they tested them pulled out a little too and found no loss of effectiveness.  Here's mine:   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1156&pos=35

Note the right bottom TRI Trap is somewhat covering the outlet and the power cord connector keeps it from being flush.  I love my Tri Traps,  the turn around time on the custom sized TRI's were very fast and standard delivery took 2 days. 

Rob S.

That is spot on :thumb:

And...I can't resist, what is the approximate break in time for GIK room treatments?
We do that at the shop for you.  :lol:

gonzalc3

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2009, 02:05 pm »
Sorry to interrupt, but orthobiz, what are your impressions of the tri-traps ? Was it a night and day difference in the bass ? Please share your experiences as I've just ordered 4 tri-traps among other panels from GIK and I can't wait to have them installed. Thanks.

Regards,

Here is my take with the tri traps.... My HT (7.1 M&K S150 speaker system with the MK MX350 SFX subwoofer) room is about 13'X20.5'X8 ft....My first GIK treatments were a pair of tritraps and two 242 panels. I installed the tritraps by themselves at the rear of the room, and what I noticed was that the bass was a little bit more control and better decay times...Afterwards I installed a pair of 242's behind the main front speakers.. There is what I thought that it made a huge difference.... The bass was tighter, and the soundstage was more open...Then after a great success with the installation of my first batch of GIK acoustic treatments, I ordered a second batch, which consited on three additional 242 panels.. I installed two of them below my screen ( as I have a Front projection system) and one of them in a side wall... There we experience that upper and mid range were crystal clear, but the bass still needs to be more control... This week I will be adding another pair of tri traps that will be stack above the first pair that I bouhgt and will be placed the same way as you can see in the pictures from others....
My main point is that tri traps do a lot to your setup but they work together with other treatments, and it is until that point that you will see the night and day difference....

For me it is worth to install them and can't wait to finish treating the room.. So far the sound is like 75% better that it was before.......

Mike82

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2009, 02:09 pm »
I also use the GIK Tri-Traps and panels.

Well, theoretically you should have more bass absorption if they are away from the corner.

For example, as the wave travels through the trap there should be "x" amount of absorption. Now when it hits the back wall, some of the wave will reflect back into the room and again travel through the trap where it will experience an additional degree of attenuation albeit less than expereinced in the first wave.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2009, 02:15 pm »
This is one of the unique things about our panel absorbers.  We build an air gap into our panels behind the absorbent material.  This extends the useful frequency of attenuation and allows you to still hang the panels flush on the wall for a nice clean look rather than having to figure out how to space them from the wall.

Bryan

Vaughan

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2009, 03:19 pm »
Quote from: gonzalc3
There we experience that upper and mid range were crystal clear, but the bass still needs to be more control... This week I will be adding another pair of tri traps that will be stack above the first pair that I bouhgt and will be placed the same way as you can see in the pictures from others....
My main point is that tri traps do a lot to your setup but they work together with other treatments, and it is until that point that you will see the night and day difference....

Thank you very much for your comments. This is one of the reasons why I decided to get 4 tri-traps instead of two. I can stack the tri-traps from floor to ceiling in the front two corners.

Another reason is that I want a pretty big difference in clarity in the bass range in particular. I live in South Africa and I don't import that often so if I'm doing it then I'll do it right.  :thumb:

I've already spoken with Glenn and Bryan and I'm definitely going to get a pair of Monster traps for directly behind the listening position.

What kind of differences did you get when placing absorption behind the listening position ? Thanks again.

Regards,

Vaughan

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2009, 03:27 pm »
If I had a choice I would get 8 tri-traps so that all 4 tri-corners are filled floor to ceiling. I think that would yield unbelievable results, unfortunately I'm not able to do that.

Regards,

gonzalc3

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2009, 09:27 pm »
Quote from: gonzalc3
There we experience that upper and mid range were crystal clear, but the bass still needs to be more control... This week I will be adding another pair of tri traps that will be stack above the first pair that I bouhgt and will be placed the same way as you can see in the pictures from others....

Thank you very much for your comments. This is one of the reasons why I decided to get 4 tri-traps instead of two. I can stack the tri-traps from floor to ceiling in the front two corners.

Another reason is that I want a pretty big difference in clarity in the bass range in particular. I live in South Africa and I don't import that often so if I'm doing it then I'll do it right.  :thumb:

I've already spoken with Glenn and Bryan and I'm definitely going to get a pair of Monster traps for directly behind the listening position.

What kind of differences did you get when placing absorption behind the listening position ? Thanks again.

Regards,

In my HT there are only like three corners that I can treat. Two of them are in the rear wall (behind the listening position) and one is in the front wall... By adding absortion in the back rear wall (tri traps) I do get a great deal of bass control, in particular I would say in the 50-200 hz region... By having absortion in the front wall it clean up the mid to upper bass regions.... Another thing that I should add, is that my room was very reflective, as the walls are made of drywall, laminated flooring and a ceiling made of plaster...
I also had one window and one patio door, so I had to add a pair of acoustic curtains there...

Right now my biggest problem is that the lower end of the bass it still seems high and still feel some resonances in the listening position. After we add the pair of tri traps I hope that I am done, but if not my only option will be to add a pillar in the corner in the front wall and perhaps some 244 in the ceiling but still need to work with Bryan on that one....

GIK treatments are very well made and when I add them to my setup gave that sort of professional-studio  look to the room....

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2009, 12:25 am »

Regards,

Things tightened up considerably. I am really happy now, still fine tuning the first reflections. The custom stacked 4 foot and 3 foot TriTraps. I'll post more pics on my own thread soon, I hope! Listened to Emeral Eyes, Fleetwood Mac, Mystery To Me. If you know the tune, it has a deep, percussive bass that punctuates the end of each line of the chorus. The tightness and weight that now has is incredible.

Paul

Vaughan

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2009, 09:45 am »
Quote from: orthobiz
Things tightened up considerably. I am really happy now, still fine tuning the first reflections. The custom stacked 4 foot and 3 foot TriTraps. I'll post more pics on my own thread soon, I hope! Listened to Emeral Eyes, Fleetwood Mac, Mystery To Me. If you know the tune, it has a deep, percussive bass that punctuates the end of each line of the chorus. The tightness and weight that now has is incredible.

Thanks for the comments. Have you noticed any differences when watching movies ? Or did the tri-traps make more of a noticeable difference when listening to music ?

Regards,

pretzel_logic60

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2009, 08:35 pm »
I went with 2 tri-traps behind the speakers and 2 of the 244 traps behind my listening position. Things certainly tightened up in the low end, much more defined and it allowed the mids to really come out of hiding. I'm debating whether the get 2 more of the corner traps and stack them, wondering how much more of an improvement they would make. I can't put the tri-traps behind me. I still have a little bit of boom but also wonder if using some of the 242's will help as well, I have a lot of empty wall space yet.

I have to say though that what I've done to this point has really made a huge impact.

Vaughan

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2009, 07:48 am »
I'm no acoustic expert, but what I've learned is that coverage is key, so I can imagine it would be beneficial to stack a second set of tri-traps. That's essentially what I'm doing. I was told it was the way to go if I couldn't treat my rear corners sufficiently so killing the front two corners was the best course of action.

Regards,

pretzel_logic60

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2009, 12:42 pm »
Well Bryan had recommended I stack my corners but wasn't sure I wanted to spend the extra cash. I went with one of the patterned fabrics and they look great but also cost a bit extra. If the stacked traps will tighten things up even more I'm certainly willing. I do need to get some 242's though or at least something on my side wall. Trying to see how much cash I'll have available after a couple other important projects I have in the works.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2009, 01:11 pm »
A 2nd pair would certainly be a benefit.  That's not overdoing it at all in terms of bottom end control in a room.  It will just give you more of the same.  More extension, more tightness, a more 'nimble' feel to the bass, less masking of details due to bass ringing, etc.

Bryan